What's new

YOUR FIRST DE RAZOR?

If you are over 60, it is a fair guess that your first razor was a double-edged job. If so, can you remember what it was and if and how you converted to a twin-blade cartridge offering? Mine was a Gillette Slim Twist with a white or ivory handle. I never quarreled with it, but never really developed any great affection for it either. I must have had it for quite some time, before a girlfriend replaced it with the inevitable piece of modern trash.

Nope. My very first razor was a single blade Wilkinson cartridge razor back in the late 60s or early 70s. A couple of years later I could not find the cartridges so I went with a Schick injector. I kept that same razor for many years until I got a case of the stupids and decided to try electric razors like my dad used. After giving up on that forlorn hope, I could not find my Schick handle, nor could I find a new one for sale. That forced me to get a Trac II . My first DE shave was last year and I am 66. That razor was a 1953 birth year Super Speed.

Nope. My very first razor was a single blade Wilkinson cartridge razor back in the late 60s or early 70s. A couple of years later I could not find the cartridges so I went with a Schick injector. I kept that same razor for many years until I got a case of the stupids and decided to try electric razors like my dad used. After giving up on that forlorn hope, I could not find my Schick handle, nor could I find a new one for sale. That forced me to get a Trac II . My first DE shave was last year and I am 66. That razor was a 1953 birth year Super Speed.
I am 68, so perhaps you have to be really "getting on a bit" to have started on a DE. I suppose the Trac II must have been my first cartridge razor. I didn't find re-adjusting to a DE remotely difficult. How did we allow ourselves to be conned?

My parents both told me that if I used a DE it would be a bloodbath. I chose the Schick over the Trac II because to this day I believe multiple blades in a razor are a gimmick. I was forced into the Trac II because I couldn't find an injector handle and I never gave a thought to buying a used razor. I didn't go willingly.

I'm under 60 and my first shave was with a Slim or Fatboy my grandfather gave me. I cut the $#!+ out of my face and promptly got an Atra.

My first razor was a Gillette Superspeed that I swiped from my father without his knowledge or consent. I think he obtained it in the PX while he served in Korea. He had another razor that he preferred. I don't know what it was, but I remember it having a thicker handle than the Superspeed. Anyway, I still have that stolen razor. It is very mild. When paired with a sharp blade like a Feather or a 7 O'clock yellow, it provides an exquisite shave.

My parents both told me that if I used a DE it would be a bloodbath. I chose the Schick over the Trac II because to this day I believe multiple blades in a razor are a gimmick. I was forced into the Trac II because I couldn't find an injector handle and I never gave a thought to buying a used razor. I didn't go willingly.
I couldn't agree more. I never got beyond twin blades in a cartridge razor. I think it was a particularly crass Gillette television advertisement that caused the penny to drop.

My first razor was a Gillette Superspeed that I swiped from my father without his knowledge or consent. I think he obtained it in the PX while he served in Korea. He had another razor that he preferred. I don't know what it was, but I remember it having a thicker handle than the Superspeed. Anyway, I still have that stolen razor. It is very mild. When paired with a sharp blade like a Feather or a 7 O'clock yellow, it provides an exquisite shave.
They are still very reassuring, aren't they?

My first DE was a Merkur 23C in 2016. I dropped and broke it only two months later. My search for replacements sent me deep into the rabbit hole.

My first razor, back in the '60's was a Schick Eversharp injector.

Merkur Sledgehammer. Cut the @*#£ out of my face.

Switched to the 1904 OC after that....super mellow.

Now...over 60 razors. It’s an illness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Merkur Sledgehammer. Cut the @*#£ out of my face.

Switched to the 1904 OC after that....super mellow.

Now...over 60 razors. It’s an illness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think it is a bit of an illness, but they can a beautiful example of engineering in miniature.

Yes, it was a good enough shave that I immediately recognized its superiority over a multi-blade cartridge razor. For one thing, it could not be clogged with hair. I had to tap cartridge razors on the edge of the sink to dislodge the crud. Not so with DEs.
I blame my girlfriend at the time. Once I had accepted the cartridge razor, it felt like "the norm". Of course! She wanted to borrow it!

I’m 49 years old. I started out with a Gillette Atra. Picked up a Gillette Super Speed some time when you could still buy them new in a drug store. And lost both of them in a move 15 years ago...
In between, tried every new razor that came along, and finally came back to the safety razor. I haven’t looked back since.

Top Bottom