What's new

Your favorite open comb razor

Boy, there's a lot of good ones listed. I like the Karve OC, The PAA Ascension. I prefer the NEW Long Comb to the Short. My first was the Parker 26C and that was pretty good. The Gillette Sheraton is also really good for me.

Hard to find but better than the US and Brit OC Aristocrats... The Gillette popular.
D0AFEA82-992E-4567-8A74-D9D54CAB4895.jpeg

F3F9795B-1AB3-48F4-8A46-AA7E73B3032F.jpeg

My favorites are:
Tatara Masamune OC
Razorock BBS OC
Razorock SLOC
Merkur 15C

Not a fan of the Razorock Game Changer OC - too much scratchy blade feel for me.

My first and favourite open comb is the Fatip Originale Picollo. I bought an Il Storto later but to my surprise find it to be a tad less efficient than the regular open comb. I also managed to get a Muhle R41, but although the finish might be better, the results were not. I am very interested in trying out a Jaws 0.84!
My skin somehow doesn't take a third pass well so I limit myself to two. And I learned the most efficient shave for me is to go against the grain for the first pass. No problems with the Fatip!

I'm in the mood to buy a new razor. I like how OC razors look. Are OC razors as good or better than straight bar razors? What OC razors I should consider?

They aren't better or worse, they are a different tool for a different job. You can certainly use them like a normal razor but they excel with multiple days growth. Some open combs have more blade feel and will shave closer and more aggressively. If you only shave every few days, these more aggressive razors will serve you well. Such as but not limited to the Razorock 0.84 Game Changer OC and 0.68 Game Changer OC and the big daddy Muhle R41. There are obviously many others but the principle is same.

There's a new kid on the OC block however.. the Razorock BBS OC which I reviewed on YouTube (link below). I found this to be the most comfortable open comb I've used, at the very least equal to the original BBS (now called standard). The comb channels on the razor are quite deep and I can't see it having any issue taking down over a week of growth.

I also did an up close video of the BBS OC vs the Game Changer 0.68 OC (link below)
A head-to-head (on the head!) shave comparison is also planned for the very near future.

Subscribe to get notified!

BBS-OC Review
BBS-OC upclose comparison with GC 0.68 OC

I love my 1918 single ring and my 1930's new lc equally...either 1 with a feather is the best shave i can get.if i want a close bbs shave I'll choose the single ring.if i just want to shave fast with nfg,then I'll use the lc.it's just not as close is all.

A few people have mentioned the Razorock SLOC. That was the first OC I tried and in addition to being very reasonably priced it's a great razor to learn with. The Fatip OCs are a great option as well.

Top Bottom