What's new

Your favorite open comb razor

I'm in the mood to buy a new razor.

I like how OC razors look.

Are OC razors as good or better than straight bar razors?
Some are. Some aren't.
What OC razors I should consider?
IMO the best designed OC razor is the Fatip Originale. Fatip's QC isn't the best in the world but they do make good, inexpensive, all brass razors.

Here's my excellent Fatip GT (with the rest of the team on a SOTD display):
Mk2+GTH-Y_2021-08-12.jpg

It's called the GT as that's the handle's name. It's a custom lightweight handle that my friend, B&B member Doug (@Rosseforp), made for me. All Fatips have M4.5 x 0.75mm threads. "Normal" currently produced DE razors have M5 x 0.8mm threads.

Fatips are different but they have many fanboys, and I'm one of them. :cornut:

I'm in the mood to buy a new razor. I like how OC razors look. Are OC razors as good or better than straight bar razors? What OC razors I should consider?
in my beginning, it was a Muhle R41. a bit later an iCON seemed just perfect. but, then the Artist club with a DX handle came along and I really found out what 'open comb' was about... Since then? I like my Timeless better than the bronze ATT I own, but I can't say if the stainless is better than titanium: cause I've forgotten to try the Ti. Thanks! let you know!

Lately I’ve been grabbing my Wade and Butcher open comb as my DE of choice. It’s an old type dupe that takes proprietary blades, but using an original old type top cap allows you to use any blade. Later on if I remember I’ll dig up some photos I took. Excellent shaves, and decent heft to boot.

IMO the best designed OC razor is the Fatip Originale. Fatip's QC isn't the best in the world but they do make good, inexpensive, all brass razors.

Ahhh I'm tempted to disagree slightly...

The Fatip does shave great and it's very good value for all brass, but blade alignment is a bit of a design flaw, especially when Gillette showed how easily it could be done a good 90 years ago with the New types.

Still, best value Open comb? Almost certainly.
I'd rather pay more (or buy used) to not have to fiddle with blade alignment, but Fatip's definitely hard to beat for the money.

Wow, that's a tough one.

If I'm going for the easiest to use, while giving a close shave, it would be my Gillette New SC. Not the prettiest with really no gold left on it, and one day, I'm going to try plating it in Nickel.

Looks wise, but potentially more likely to leave weepers if you forget and apply pressure, is the Timeless 95 OC in polished SS.

For a challenge, I pull out the $5.00 R41 Clone, which shaves closer than ANY other razor, but with loads of blade feel.

On the SE side, my MMOC, which is as close as the R41 Clone or Timeless 95 OC, but easy to shave with.

The Fatip does shave great and it's very good value for all brass, but blade alignment is a bit of a design flaw, especially when Gillette showed how easily it could be done a good 90 years ago with the New types.

I'd rather pay more (or buy used) to not have to fiddle with blade alignment, but Fatip's definitely hard to beat for the money.
:crying: You picked me up wrong Bubbles (my fault for not being explicit).

I was referring to the overall head design (in particular the teeth, the shape of them, and the waste drainage), not the blade clamping system.

:crying: You picked me up wrong Bubbles (my fault for not being explicit).

I was referring to the overall head design (in particular the teeth, the shape of them, and the waste drainage), not the blade clamping system.

Sure, I'd just consider blade alignment a part of a "perfect head design" - I prefer to loosen off after shaving anyway to let it drain, so that's an every day/shave irritation for me.

Don't get me wrong, the Fatip shaves as well as pretty much everything, but if a New SC shaves at least it's equal (and IMHO it does) and that aligns perfectly every time then I'm going to pick up the SC much more often than the Fatip (and I do).

I actually quite like a certain Frankenrazor setup that uses the Fatip topcap... I call it the "Fat Old Coq" - Fatip topcap, Old type baseplate and a Le Coq handle, shaves superbly and the Fatip cap pins only just fit the Old type baseplate so alignment is a doddle.

20210616_191935.jpg

20210616_191959.jpg

Reactions: Cal

The design flaw makes the Fatip have a certain vintage charm. like buying a vintage razor only you know the teeth are straight and the threading is okay.

The design flaw makes the Fatip have a certain vintage charm. like buying a vintage razor only you know the teeth are straight and the threading is okay.

Depends how vintage...

The New types can potentially be 90 years old at this point, and they don't have that flaw.

I get that it has a certain charm for some people and I've got absolutely no problem with anyone deciding the shave is good enough to accept that compromise... It's still a design flaw in my book, though.

Depends how vintage...

The New types can potentially be 90 years old at this point, and they don't have that flaw.

I get that it has a certain charm for some people and I've got absolutely no problem with anyone deciding the shave is good enough to accept that compromise... It's still a design flaw in my book, though.

I will agree with your views but you have too admit, seeing those gorgeous posts coming out of the baseplate looks fantastic!

Top Bottom