What's new

Your expert opinion please gentlemen

Hi,

I have been using a Merkur 38C for about 6 months now and i am having very mixed results. My prep:-
heat large cappuccino mug and badger brush,
exfoliate or gental soap wash, if in shower i use a bit of hair conditioner.
rinse, lather up using either TOBS, proraso, body shop and leave for 1 min. using Derby blades, WTG, XTG, ATG. moisturise and EDT.

The problem is the inconsistent shave on my neck area. i find the blade tends to skip or jump sometimes despite holding the skin down, this leads to an irritated neck. I then resort to using the Gillett fusion which sorts things out after a few days.

I dont have a thick beared and have tried different blades. feathers tend to be the worst.

my question is, if i bought a progress or futur, will the adjustability help?

I love my DE but it hates my neck after a few shaves.

thanks in advance

My neck issues were similar to yours. I didn't get them sorted out until I got a slant. And a more cushiony soap(institute karite). I also figured out that I can't use a feather unless I'm using a very mild razor(I use a crystal in the slant). Of course both my lathering and shaving techniques improved as well.
I think the combination of all these things was the answer.
Good luck!

I dont think i need aggressive!!

If i reduced the aggressiveness on say the futur on the neck line would this help?

Any adjustable DE users able to help?

Thanks for all your replys so far, brilliant support:001_smile

Your shave gear and prep is very similar to mine. As well as the same issues. I found a change in blade remedies the neck area more so than razor. I eventually discovered the smooth but sharp (not as sharp as a feather though) 7" O Clock Yellow , 7 O"Clock PermaSharp Green (India), or Super Iridium (similar blade to the 7 O"Clock) does the trick just fine. The Derbys werent that friendly to my mug.

Once you find "the one" for consistency, I believe, it seems good to have various other razors in your arsenal for different levels of aggressiveness on varying days. You have already discovered this in switching to your fusion for the neck area.
Yes, this where RAD kicks in. I found my RAD has led me to rotate between 38C, Red Tip, 1948-50 Aristocrat, late 40's Super Speed, & New common bar.

I wouldnt change a thing cause I feel every level is covered.
The 7 O"Clock & Super Iridium seems to be able to work in conjunction with these razors masterfully. I pick the razor for the day depending on what sensitivity my face, especially the neck area, might be asking for.

I hear gem SE handles are good to be in comparison with DE..try em n see

:lol: That would be like me suggesting he try a straight razor.

Disclaimer: He and I have discussed his affinity for SEs in chat quite a bit. (I'm a straight shaver predominantly)

Ohhhh SE.... would be a blood bath!!!!

At least thats what i think you mean!!!:confused1

I found SEs to be more unforgiving than DE shaving when I tried it. There are many members that are fans of SE shaving, but I'm not sure that it is the answer to your issue.

An adjustable razor really isn't the answer IMHO. Razor skipping is usually the result of poor lather, or a bad razor angle IME. This was true of my days as a DE shaver as well. Focus on the proper angles, good lather, and a light touch, and you should be able to get irritation free shaves even on your neck. The razor you have is a well regarded razor that should be perfectly adequate to achieve the desired results. Good luck, Sir:001_smile

Thanks Paul,

i really take my time and do watch my angles :confused1

I am laughing at Riley's reply because i have a bit of a collection i have to lift out of my mug every morning, all carts though i have to say.

I love the quality of my Merkur, everything else feels like a toy, but my neck can take a battering after a few days. i even only do one pass mostly.

thanks everyone.

Try a different blade. Your experience with the Derby sounds suspiciously like mine. It gave me inconsistent shaves and a lot of irritation on the neck. I use Red Pack Personnas now. I tried Feathers, but that was a bloodbath...

I like the idea of changing blades, thanks,

however i live in the UK, and, unless you want Derby, Feathers or Wilkon sword your stuck.

i am not too sure on the import of blades and the tax etc! which is why i wondered if a change of razor might help.

however i live in the UK, and, unless you want Derby, Feathers or Wilkon sword your stuck.

i am not too sure on the import of blades and the tax etc! which is why i wondered if a change of razor might help.

Try one of the UK-based shaving webshops. The board won't let me name one, but I can recommend the one named after an Irish province.
If you can't find a blade that suits you there, you may call me Susan...
I would suggest the red pack Personna, it's always a safe bet. If you're not sure, try one of their sample packs.

Last edited:

Try one of the UK-based shaving webshops. The board won't let me name one, but I can recommend the one named after an Irish province.
If you can't find a blade that suits you there, you may call me Susan...
I would suggest the red pack Personna, it's always a safe bet. If you're not sure, try one of their sample packs.

He speaks the truth.
Without being specific, there are UK based vendors that can fix you up nicely for blades. With a little research, you will know who is out there :wink2:

I'm a new guy, but dare I ask why the unmentionable shaving vendors in the UK are unmentionable? :confused1

It's hard not to mention names when you can't even discuss which names you can't mention. I asked once and was told they'd have to kill me.

Skipping is usually the result of (YMMV, so someone's gonna say the opposite) too dry lather.

It can also be from somehow gliding over the hair and not being able to cut through them. Hair conditioner seems really suspect to me here.

Lose the hair conditioner on the beard.

Leave your lather on a little longer before starting.

Try a different blade, or better yet, get a blade assortment to try.

Good luck!

Well thanks for all your reply's...

I have found the vendor and placed an order for a sample pack, including the red persona.

I will keep you informed..... still might buy a futur tho@:w00t:

Try a Zest bar to wash your face, leave face wet, then shave.

Zest removes any film left over by any soaps or conditioners; this will expose your whiskers to the blade for a quicker cut.

Top Bottom