What's new

You Told Me This Would Happen

I was told that newcomers cut their strop, so buy an inexpensive one. I bought an inexpensive one, but was convinced that cutting my strop was not in my future. I'm not like the others. I've got my act together. I learn from the mistakes of others. I'm a beacon of hope for those who lose faith.

Oh, and I cut the heck out of my strop.

Thankfully, @Tony Miller sells replacement leather. Got a replacement part coming. The cut is DEAD center, so I can't utilize the remaining bit.

Don't be like me. End of lecture. :)

Oh no, this isn't the post I wanted to read from you! It's a good thing you got your strop from TM otherwise a simple replacement would have meant a full replacement. Glad you are taking it well, I wouldn't it. I am sure you are now watching as many videos as you can. Right? :a30:

😁

A zen master told me, "Slow is fast." Also mentioned is how setbacks are teachable moments. Yes, I'm taking it well--I'm incredibly wealthy and good looking, so I can hold off on shaving.

I've got to make some time to create something out of newspaper or denim. I have nothing but options.

Maybe try the phone book, if you still get those. It will involve a lot of flipping practice! 😆

In all seriousness, I think you can just open it up and use it as it has some cushion to it. You could cut a hole to hold it if you wanted to.

I've done it too. I still have those two strops from years back. I was able to sand my small nicks (not really big cuts) down and smooth them out a bit. Stuff happens in this pastime that we share. I'm expecting a TM strop for my birthday soon. Looking forward to his 3" strop as opposed to the 2" strops that I have been using for a decade.

Contact cement & sand it flat might be able to save the day? Some kind of abrasive which won't shed grit into the leather.

The good news is that you will pick it up reasonably quickly, with regular practice.

Contact cement & sand it flat might be able to save the day? Some kind of abrasive which won't shed grit into the leather.

The good news is that you will pick it up reasonably quickly, with regular practice.
Thanks @McBlade. I quickly ignored advice I heeded for the first few days. I was taking it nice and slow. I'd like to say I got overconfident; but I just broke the rules. I began stropping so fast it's a wonder I didn't open myself up with that blade. Once again I need to slow down. Bruce Lee said mastery is proficiency of the basics. Next strop I will crawl before I start sprinting.

Last edited:
IMG_1756.jpg
IMG_1757.jpg
IMG_1758.jpg
IMG_1759.jpg
IMG_1760.jpg

Two incidents. The first cut happened closest to the end (3rd and 4th pic). While my brain processed what I had just done, I either flipped the blade early, or not at all--jury's still out. That's when I caused the second, more intense slice you see in the first and second pic towards the other side. In the second picture, I bent the strop to make the cut stand out. Not terribly deep, but deep enough. It's a 3" strop.

I hate to say it, but I am little concerned about the edge on the razor...
You really need to make some laps on the cotton to make sure the edge isn't rolled.

A zen master told me, "Slow is fast." Also mentioned is how setbacks are teachable moments. Yes, I'm taking it well--I'm incredibly wealthy and good looking, so I can hold off on shaving.

I've got to make some time to create something out of newspaper or denim. I have nothing but options.

OR.... !!! You COULD go back to using a safety razor until the replacement arrives. Dont have a safety razor ? Maybe you could.... do I dare say it... use a cartridge razor !!!

Oh the shame !!!!

:c4::c4::c4::c4::c4::c4::c4::c4::c4::c4::c4:

Speaking of which... this is a true story....
I was editing my bathroom draw which is broken down into two sides. One side of the bathroom draw is devoted to hair products - cartridge blades, shaving cartridge, DE razors, combs brushes. The other side devoted to toothpaste, tooth brushes, some mini mouthwash bottles and mini shampoo bottles - for trips.

While editing my draw, I did find a few Bic disposables which I purchased at work - back in 2007 for an "emergency date". It was like a 7 pack or so. Had to shave. Man that backfired. With that single mini-blade, my face was torn to a thousand pieces around the neck line. I kept it only because thought I would need it again in case of an emergency. Never used it. I threw it out last week.

Really ??? They make those ????

I bow my head in shame. Seriously. Thats like me reaching for the Bic Disposable. How many here would bow their head in shame if I were to do that ???

:c4::c4::c4::c4::c4::c4::c4::c4::c4::c4::c4::c4::c4::c4::c4::c4:
Maybe a few, but those guys take the hobby too seriously. There’s a time and a place for everything. There’s a section of this forum dedicated to Modern Shaving Systems. A lot of folks prefer Bic Disposables for travel.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Only one strop?

Before my stropping technique settled down, I cut up my first two Chinese strops beyond repair over my first 6 months of SR shaving. I then spent another year of cut-free stropping (still a Chinese strop) before I felt confident enough to purchase a TM strop. So far, so good.

Really ??? They make those ????

I bow my head in shame. Seriously. Thats like me reaching for the Bic Disposable. How many here would bow their head in shame if I were to do that ???

:c4::c4::c4::c4::c4::c4::c4::c4::c4::c4::c4::c4::c4::c4::c4::c4:
Don't go looking at the video reviews unless you want to watch somebody bleed. They are made for barbers, not self shavers.

Don't go looking at the video reviews unless you want to watch somebody bleed. They are made for barbers, not self shavers.

Dont have to see the videos. The only video I need to queue up is the experience I had using a Bic disposable. I thought my life became a Friday the 13th horror movie.

Or it may have been the inspiration of it.

Top Bottom