What's new

yet another watch question

I saw this watch on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Citizen-BL525...ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=watches&qid=1274883816&sr=1-4

The watch is water-resistant to 660 meters, but it has a leather strap. I'm sure this is a horrifically stupid question, but am I correct that taking a watch with a leather strap into the water is a really bad idea? Isn't a leather strap even a bad idea for someone who just tends to perspire a lot?

(As an aside, you guys are evil for goading me into looking at all these watches, but I'll let it go. :biggrin1:)

Thanks.

Unless the leather band is waterproof, I would not get it wet. You can buy a rubber strap for swimming.

The scary thing is that now I'm thinking "or I could just get that G-Shock, too." :lol: :001_rolle

No, scary would be a g-string. :tongue_sm

I've always thought it funny that watches are made to be water proof over 100M. No one ever dives to that depth. The watch you mention can go to 2000 ft. You'd have to be in a sub to go that deep.

660 meters is a hell of a depth, and that's not what the watch is made for either. Or that's what the page you linked says, I don't know who of you are right but if it's you I haven't heard of such a waterproof watch :laugh:

However, 200 meters says you can use it while diving with tubes, it has nothing to do with how deep the watch can go unfortunately. This wikipedia link says what the grade of waterproof does mean: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watch (the sheet about in the middle of the page).

/A

Oh, I wrote 660 meters! :lol: It's 200 meters, or 660 feet.

The depth rating is really irrelevant, since if I'm either 200 or 660 meters below the surface I'll probably be dead (or at least in a submarine or some sort of highly unlikely scuba situation). I just thought it was interesting that a watch advertised with a 200M rating would have a leather band.

I think it's a lot like tire ratings - I don't plan to go 140MPH, but am glad they're built strongly enough to take it. Or that the beams in my house are rated for twice the load that's placed on them. A little over-engineering is a good thing.

Also, I'd just get the rubber strap.

You could put it on the mechanical arm of a remotely piloted submersible. It would be kind of cool to check the time by pulling the arm into the frame of the video and turning it toward you. When I'm the richest man in the world, that'll be on my list of things to do.

Although this is a very capable watch, I don't believe that it is intended to get wet. Not that it could not handle the water, but that it is more of a fashion statement than anything else. I see more and more watches with this combination worn at ****-tail parties. I like the look but I would not go swimming with one on my wrist.

Although this is a very capable watch, I don't believe that it is intended to get wet. Not that it could not handle the water, but that it is more of a fashion statement than anything else. I see more and more watches with this combination worn at ****-tail parties. I like the look but I would not go swimming with one on my wrist.

And that's correct, Citizen is a fashion watch maker and if you wear them on a every day basis it probably won't be too long lasting. You get what you pay for as they say.

If you are planning to buy one of these, I suggest you to look at Certina or Tissot for example, they're a little bit more expensive but you get alot more value for the money, and the watch will probably last 10 years or longer.

I've had waterproof watches with leather bands. You'll be surprised at just how well they hold up. They're sewn, not glued, so you don't have to worry about it seperating. The actual leather will dry off after it gets wet and after a couple times really softens up. The last one I had lasted about 3 years with lots of swimming in the summer.

I've had waterproof watches with leather bands. You'll be surprised at just how well they hold up. They're sewn, not glued, so you don't have to worry about it seperating. The actual leather will dry off after it gets wet and after a couple times really softens up. The last one I had lasted about 3 years with lots of swimming in the summer.

And if the strap do get a little funky a new won't cost you too much either. By the way swimming isn't the biggest problem with leather straps but your sweat and dirt. So if it's a every day watch, buy a new strap after awhile.

And that's correct, Citizen is a fashion watch maker and if you wear them on a every day basis it probably won't be too long lasting. You get what you pay for as they say.

I actually had a Citizen eco-drive that held up very well for several years, but I lost it. I was going to get another one, but for the sake of variety and economy went with an Orient that I'm not too happy with.

If you are planning to buy one of these, I suggest you to look at Certina or Tissot for example, they're a little bit more expensive but you get alot more value for the money, and the watch will probably last 10 years or longer.

Thanks. I'm actually in major indecision mode as far as watches go. (Except for the G-Shock. :thumbup1:)

Thanks. I'm actually in major indecision mode as far as watches go. (Except for the G-Shock. :thumbup1:)

I see! If it's watches like the one you linked you are looking for I suggest you to take a look at the Certina DS Podium (DS is a good thing to look at, it stands for Double Safety and means the watch itself is secured to heat/cold and shocks).

Since I don't live in the States I have no idea about the price there, but the DS Podium will probably offer something you like for about 5-600 dollars. It's a bit more than the one you linked but I promise you it's worth every cent!

proxy.php

proxy.php

Pretty nice, aren't they? ;)

Last edited:
Those are really nice-loking watches. Leaving aside everything else, however, I'm not sure Certina is even sold in the US. At least, their website does not indicate that they are.

Ultimately, although I like the look, I'll probably decide against a leather band because my wrist tends to sweat pretty easily under my watch.

Last edited:
Those are really nice-loking watches. Leaving aside everything else, however, I'm not sure Certina is even sold in the US. At least, their website does not indicate that they are.

Ultimately, although I like the look, I'll probably decide against a leather band because my wrist tends to sweat pretty easily under my watch.

Certina is selled in the states no matter what the site says (just google "Certina watches USA"), and about the leather, I have a Certina myself with stainless link and I love it. Pretty much every Certina can be bought with either stainless/titanic or leather, and there's no problem switching between them later.

proxy.php

(my watch)

Top Bottom