What's new

I’m Looking For a Good Value Tough Watch

I finally bought a watch! Kinda blew my budget, but it ticks all the boxes pretty well.
2892-A2
Good lume
Stainless everything
Sapphire Crystal

Maybe not the beater I was originally looking for, but I used my masterful justification/rationalization skills to maximum extent.
- A recent small promotion means I’m not personally throwing heavy stuff around as often. I get to direct others in the throwing of said heavy stuff.
- I hit a quasi goal of losing 30 pounds, from 204lbs July 11, 2017, to 174lbs a couple days ago. A significant self reward seemed appropriate!

Should be here in a few days. I’ll be the guy sleeping by the mailbox.View attachment 873342

Sharp. I did the same thing a couple of weeks ago and picked up a Ball Trainmaster Roman.

Just remember, or be cautioned, stainless bracelets will last a long time with care, but they are very prone to scratching meanwhile. Careful where you rest your wrists and how you reach for stuff! Likely the Sapphire glass will last longer than the finish on your stainless. :001_rolle

Just remember, or be cautioned, stainless bracelets will last a long time with care, but they are very prone to scratching meanwhile. Careful where you rest your wrists and how you reach for stuff! Likely the Sapphire glass will last longer than the finish on your stainless. :001_rolle
that's what we then call "patina" no? :001_unsur

that's what we then call "patina" no? :001_unsur

Lol I guess! It looks good when it’s close to complete 20 years later, the building up to it process, not always so much!

I remember the first big scratch I got only my current stainless. It looked out of place for a long time, until the rest of the watch caught up.

Very nice! A review once you’ve worn it a while please!
Thanks! Actually showed up today!
That's a good looking watch. And congratulations on the weight loss!
Thank you sir!

Nice watch! Since it is all stainless steel and has a sapphire crystal it IS a beater watch, nothing could hurt it! About all you should see from use is a little bit of wear on the black painted bezel numbers and some scuffs on the edges, perfect "wearing in" marks :p What is going on with the crown? Is that push button above it a stop-watch type thing or does it just release that bar across the crown? A minimal face, three hand movement, decent water resistance, and a date window is my perfect daily use watch.
It’s sort of a high end beater! The all stainless construction should do a good job of hiding the inevitable scratches. My Luminox Field auto was similar. The scratches were pretty unnoticeable, just added a little character.
The button on the bar across the crown is just a release. Screw in 2 position crown. Nice solid feel to the crown and guard bar.
488AE0BD-CCD0-4455-90BF-CF03E333C586.jpeg
76F151B3-A81A-42DC-8EFF-327BAE349BDF.jpeg

Solid case back. A funky submarine, and “-40C Endurance” across the bottom. Being metric challenged, I had to look up the conversion to Fahrenheit. Had to check twice, as curiously -40 Celsius is the same as -40 Fahrenheit! So basically good to go for Minnesota winters.
F3B188DB-5319-42E7-9DB7-A372D6C2D567.jpeg

Actually fit right out of the box. A little tight, but not uncomfortable. I can play with the micro adjustments on the clasp, so should be good to go. Speaking of the box, it’s a little rough, but I won’t be wearing it!:a17:

There’s kind of a sunburst on the dial face. Not very evident when looking at the face straight on, but noticeable if viewed at an angle, or under the high powered interrogation grade klieg lights as used in the first picture above.
68C77C30-0987-446F-A485-3946A8D06C10.jpeg
F08056DE-6D7A-4B8F-80BD-AC9205EF1877.jpeg

It’s fairly thick, and sits a bit high. Not a problem with my usual wardrobe.
B2EBB95E-8368-463B-BE20-51FB3A2AF8EA.jpeg

And yes, it’s a heavy beast!

All in all, I’m very happy with it. It was purchased used from Japan, the condition borders on excellent, and I think the price was reasonable at 775.00. ETA 2892-A2, Sapphire glass, T-25 flat tubes, all stainless, and so far it’s lost about 2 seconds in 8 hours. Satisfies my conflicted desire for both a tough watch, and quite a few high end watch features. There’s even a fairly good argument that it’s a good value.

Thanks to all who participated in this thread for the suggestions. I wouldn’t have found this one otherwise.

For the last 11 years I wore a Seiko Monster Diver as my daily beater. LOVED that watch. True definition of a tough watch. I recently purchased a Steinhart Ocean One Ti GMT Premium. Absolutely love it. Great ETA 2893-2 movement. I believe Steinhart makes some top notch watches that rival watches that sell for $2k-$3k. Most of them have synthetic sapphire crystal and ETA movements.

Steinhart Watches - fine exclusive timepieces - Steinhartwatches

Also clean your bracelets! A lot of gunk can get caught up between links and slowly wear away at the metal, leading to bracelet "stretch". Most bracelets can be removed easily with a $7 tool and given a good scrub with a soft toothbrush and soapy water. It's also a good time to check your spring bars to see if they are starting to weaken and need replacement. Nothing hurts worse than a having spring bar give away and losing a watch. Of course if you regularly remove your bracelet you will eventually launch a spring bar into the netherrealms so having some spares is nice anyway :p

Also clean your bracelets! A lot of gunk can get caught up between links and slowly wear away at the metal, leading to bracelet "stretch". Most bracelets can be removed easily with a $7 tool and given a good scrub with a soft toothbrush and soapy water. It's also a good time to check your spring bars to see if they are starting to weaken and need replacement. Nothing hurts worse than a having spring bar give away and losing a watch. Of course if you regularly remove your bracelet you will eventually launch a spring bar into the netherrealms so having some spares is nice anyway :p

I lost the spring bar on the buckle micro adjustment. Took it out, set it on the counter, and went to get my reading glasses. We have 4 cats. They like shiny objects almost as much or more than I do.

Got it replaced at a local shop today. It was kinda funny. The watchmaker was just about jumping up and down, he was so excited!

Choice #2 was either the regular Steinhart Ti, or the Steinhart Ocean Black.

I'm trying to figure out how to purchase the Nav-B 44 Chrono. May have to wait until my bonus for next year. Gotta hand it to Gunther Steinhart. I don't care for his Rolex homage watches but he does put out a high quality product at really low prices. My friends who are watch collectors can't believe the price/quality of this watch.

Started reading hoping you hadn’t pulled the trigger yet so I could chime in, but all seems well.

Since it is all stainless steel and has a sapphire crystal it IS a beater watch . . .

I’ve been wearing a stainless/sapphire Swiss automatic everyday for 8 years, shoveling wood chips, swimming in the ocean, dazzling clients in the conference room, and with a little metal polish every couple of months, it looks practically new. And that Ball design is very functional and elegant. Nice choice, I say! It will hold its value well, too. Just keep it away from the cats . . .

Top Bottom