What's new

I’m Looking For a Good Value Tough Watch

Howdy folks!

I haven’t worn a watch in a few years. Last one was a Luminox Field automatic with a decent ETA movement. Loved the tritium vials on the face, as I was working and driving a lot at night. It was also my first watch with a Sapphire crystal. Loved the durability. It lasted about 15 years before the main bearing gave up the ghost. I still have it, and replacing the movement is an option.

I’ve been perusing some of the various watch threads here in the Haberdashery, and since a position change at work, having a wristwatch again seems like a good idea. Having to pull out my phone to check the time is a pain.

I’m pretty tough on watches, so a Sapphire Crystal is a requirement. Anything less seems to have about a 6 month lifespan. A stainless case is also probably indicated.
Lume is not critical. I am more inclined towards faces with numbers rather than hash marks just for ease of reading. Aged eyes, and the 2 brain cells I have left appreciate the simplicity. With all that said, I’m not totally opposed to hash marks.

I’d like to keep it at 400.00 or less. Could certainly go more for something that really rings my bell, but would have to save for it. I’m also not opposed to pursuing a good quality used watch.

Here’s a few I’ve been looking at.

The Alpinist, which has recently had some exposure here.
0A0255F5-EE9E-4625-882C-080FC145DBB4.jpeg

Here’s a Seiya Japan shop brand watch that looks pretty good. About the same price as the Alpinist. Comes with 3 different bands.
E047497F-7F4E-40D6-B5BF-1C46F76CEECB.jpeg

The remaining watches I’ll have to post links for, as I was unable to copy pictures.

Here’s a Seiko Kinetic I like.
Seiko Kinetic Cream Enamel Dial Brown Leather Men's Watch SKA723 - Kinetic - Seiko - Watches - Jomashop

A Victorinox Chrono
https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-2...eywords=victorinox+chronograph+watch+men&th=1

A minimalist Bering Chrono I like the looks of, though I can’t find much about the brand.
Classic | polished silver | 10540-404

And a Deep Blue. Another watch I learned about through a thread here.
MASTER 1000 AUTOMATIC DIVER - BLUE BEZEL- BLUE DIAL - MASTER 1000 COLLECTION

As mentioned, another option is to replace the ETA movement in my Luminox. That would run about 350.00.

Any others I should consider? Any thoughts for or against?

Thanks,
Mark

you never go wrong with g-shock's toughness but this is only if it fits your style. I use one 24 hours a day (i also wear uniform) and those things are built like tanks, and for a not-so-huge price some of them come with radio-controlled mechanisms, solar charging and some perks like ABC (altimeter, barometer & compass). Also, in the same price range you can go for a protrek, still built like tanks but more outdoor oriented. I also wear a protrek when flying (every now and then).
So, i love my g-shocks and protreks but YMMV.
20180210_091914_HDR.jpg prtrk.jpg

Is a sapphire crystal a dealbreaker ?

If not, you might consider a Vostok watch from Russia

Amphibia watches have an automatic movement and are W/R to 200m - they were originally designed for the Russian Navy in the 1960s - and although the modern ones look different to the original Navy watches, they still have the same basic design concept

Komandirskie watches are slightly smaller, have a mechanical movement and are only W/R to 50m - unless you're planning on swimming or showering with your watch on, they're virtually indestructible - they were designed for 1940s Russian Army personnel

There are also automatic versions of the Komandirskie available

Vostok watches all have an acrylic crystal which is very highly impact resistant - unfortunately it will get scratched very easily

BUT

If you put a small blob of toothpaste onto the crystal, then rub it like crazy with a piece of cotton wool in a circular motion, the crystal will come up as good as new
"Polishing out" scratches from the acrylic crystal is also part of the basic design concept

Bezels are easily interchangeable - there are also some very nice custom ones available too - and I believe that some Seiko bezels will also fit

Vostok Komandirskies are available online for less than $40 shipped
Vostok Amphibias are available online for $60 +/- shipped

You will probably want to invest in a good aftermarket strap or bracelet to replace the stock strap/bracelet, but otherwise - you'll get a lot of bangs for your buck from a Vostok

Is a sapphire crystal a dealbreaker ?

If not, you might consider a Vostok watch from Russia

Amphibia watches have an automatic movement and are W/R to 200m - they were originally designed for the Russian Navy in the 1960s - and although the modern ones look different to the original Navy watches, they still have the same basic design concept

Komandirskie watches are slightly smaller, have a mechanical movement and are only W/R to 50m - unless you're planning on swimming or showering with your watch on, they're virtually indestructible - they were designed for 1940s Russian Army personnel

There are also automatic versions of the Komandirskie available

Vostok watches all have an acrylic crystal which is very highly impact resistant - unfortunately it will get scratched very easily

BUT

If you put a small blob of toothpaste onto the crystal, then rub it like crazy with a piece of cotton wool in a circular motion, the crystal will come up as good as new
"Polishing out" scratches from the acrylic crystal is also part of the basic design concept

Bezels are easily interchangeable - there are also some very nice custom ones available too - and I believe that some Seiko bezels will also fit

Vostok Komandirskies are available online for less than $40 shipped
Vostok Amphibias are available online for $60 +/- shipped

You will probably want to invest in a good aftermarket strap or bracelet to replace the stock strap/bracelet, but otherwise - you'll get a lot of bangs for your buck from a Vostok
I was actually looking at a “Scuba Dude” last summer. Unfortunately not feeling real warm and fuzzy about Russia at the moment. :a53:

My stepson swears by G-Shock. I am more partial to Victorinox and as owner of several of their chrono's can vouch for the tank like build. I've never had a problem with a Victorinox.

When I wear the Victorinox's I will often times get a comment like 'Nice watch, what kind is it?'

Rebuild your Lumi. Current valuations should reinforce your 1st choice in watches. You'll regain many memories when you look at it in the coming years. Not only will the replacement bearing make the watch work but the cleaning and lubrication will give you at least the 2 to 3 years you should reconsider having a watchmaker clean and lube it again... or upto 10 to 15 you might again achieve if you just wear it day in day out. And! you can decide if you want to refresh the glow sticks or not anywho!

I rebuilt a Luminox a couple of years ago. Cannot remember what brand movement was used but it cost far less than what you mentioned. I just specified no Chinese and the watchmaker showed me the Swiss movement sealed in it package. It's been running fine with no problems, so no complaints on my part.

I got one of the Seiko Alpinist watches and replaced the cheap looking leather band with a Strapcode Angus Jubilee engineers type bracelet. THis band was made specifically for this watch, so the solid end links are a perfect snug fit, giving it a much more luxurious look.

How about a Bertucci A-2T? Titanium case, sapphire crystal, comes with any number of band types. Price is in your ballpark, and they're built like tanks.

I would encourage you to think about your tastes (personality) and lifestyle needs. As the listed watches were from different families and I did not detect any single aspect that was most important (e.g. auto vs quartz, specific complications, size, color, etc). That said it can be difficult to decide just by looking at different watches and imaging that they would prefer one over the other after wearing it for months.

I would encourage you to think about your tastes (personality) and lifestyle needs. As the listed watches were from different families and I did not detect any single aspect that was most important (e.g. auto vs quartz, specific complications, size, color, etc). That said it can be difficult to decide just by looking at different watches and imaging that they would prefer one over the other after wearing it for months.
The watches noted are somewhat indicative of the struggle between want and need.
Want: An automatic diver style with lume you can read by in the dark. Sapphire crystal for max scratch resistance. Clean simple dial. Hash marks, as they are more attractive. Round face, and body shape that accentuates roundness. Probably mid large, 43-45mm.

Need: Simple, tough enough for warehouse work, attractive enough to enjoy wearing. Aribic numerals for ease of reading without having to put my reading glasses on. A movement that keeps good time.

The more I look, the more “want” is winning. :a17:

Seriously considering this one.
"(+34.00)" - DAYNIGHT MIL OPS DIVER T-100
The Citizen 9015 automatic sounds like a solid movement from the little bit of research I did.
Get the black bracelet, a 2 piece O.D. Green NATO, and a black rubber strap for some variety. The ceramic bezel should protect the pvd case a bit. With the 40% off code, not to much of a stretch.

It’s been probably 20 years since I’ve gone watch shopping. You’ve got to love the internet for this activity!

Bear in mind that tritium will loose it's strength and luminosity after 12 years and not at once but progressively will do so. Also YMMV but although I love to see tritium markers in the dark I absolutely hate to see them tubes in the daylight, even if deep blue are mostly using flat tubes on their watches.
Now, the T100 is a great watch for the money and since you have a 40% discount jump in!

Can you go wrong with a SKX007 Seiko Dive? Hardlex crystal tho not Saffire, auto but not hackable (not sure if that's important...
Seiko Automatic Dive Watch with Offset Crown and Rubber Dive Strap #SKX007J
And Island Watch was fantastic to deal with...
He has some new watches by Undone, that look gorgeous, esp the Newman (to me anyway!) I don't know much about the brand and durability, however.
I have a Blue Seiko Turtle that I love, wear it daily, but I don't work in an eviron that I worry about it getting knocked, but it is a diver and its built to go deep like the 007...
I also like the line by Dan Henry, they get some good reviews, he makes both Auto's and quartz, I have my eye on the 1970 orange model.

Are you looking for a "beater" that can take abuse?

This is a situation where I do not feel guilty in recommending getting both! The need and the want. Especially since the need can be purchased for a very low price. For instance depending on your budget one or more of these may fit your needs and even approach your wants. I did not include links but if you care to search more:
  • Casio MRW200H - it is a plastic wannabee diver but it is very inexpensive and looks fine IMO. The black dial version with white numerals has some lume but only the bare minimum. It should be a durable work watch that one does not really care if it breaks. Has full set of arabic numerals
  • Casio MRW-S300H - is a step up by adding solar charging. It has alternating arabic numerals.
  • Bernhardt Field Diver - a more substantial watch with steel bracelet and sapphire crystal. May be a little small for you but would be a high quality option for work environment. It has arabic numerals at 3/6/9/12.
  • Bernhardt Binnacle Diver - takes the Field Diver up a notch (YMMV) in that it is a bit larger and has an automatic movement.

There are many others from Seiko, Citizen, Orient, G-shock, that are too numerous to list or that I do not know about. If you are fine with quartz then a quality watch with a Swiss movement can also be considered.

I'd say get a new movement for your Luminox; it will feel more part of you. If you do want a Seiko Alpinist, buy it now. Seiko is discontinuing the SARB017, and apparently the excellent 6R15 movement it incorporates will only be used in the firm's more expensive models in the future. Prices are already on the rise, but you might get lucky.
Another option might be an automatic diver from Christopher Ward. They use a well regarded movement and look good to me; less in your face than some.

Top Bottom