What's new

yet another newbie starting out, looking to buy....that's right, a razor

Another vote for a Tech. Pre or post war, whatever handle you prefer. If you don't like it, many handles will fit the threads. Just shave with it for a month, and determine if there's anything missing.
Mild enough to help you build technique and confidence without carving your face up, but capable of giving you the best shave of your life.

The vintage Tech is a terrific beginner razor. I'd also recommend either a '40s style Super Speed, or a Flare Tip Super Speed (both vintage Gillettes). Regardless of what razor you get, I'd recommend you don't spend too much money right out of the gate. You might not like DE shaving.

If you're not into vintage, then maybe try one of the starter kits from Maggard Razors, or West Coast Shaving. A starter kit can cut down on the confusion quite a bit, and the folks who decide what to put in these kits are working from a lot of experience and feedback about what works for beginners. At the minimum, they'll include a razor, brush, soap, and a small assortment of different blades. The more costlier kits may include a more expensive razor, more soaps and/or some sort of post shave treatment.

Last thought - don't feel pressured into having to like wet shaving or DE razors. I can't think of too many things that are more personal than sliding a sharp blade around on your face and neck, so you have to find what works for you the best. If you decide you're better off using your cartridge razor with canned foam, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Best of luck to you! Keeps us all posted on what you end up doing, and how things are working out for you!

Welcome to the forum!!! I was in a similar situation with you, however, I dabbled a little in DE razors but would always find myself migrating back to cartridges because of the generally reduced prep. However, I started to truly appreciate the quality of the shaves I got when I took the time to properly prep, I dumped all of my cartridges and went DE.
While I don't have the vast experience in various models as some of the other folks, one thing you have to take into consideration is the type of beard you have and the sensitivity of your skin. Razor selection is predicated on those two variables. One person recommended an adjustable razor, which will probably be one of the best choices for someone who's relatively new. But there are some absolutely amazing non-adjustable razors as well. Compounding issues even further, do you purchase an antique razor, something manufactured in the early to mid 20th century or do you buy something that was manufactured recently. Honestly, it's a very tough call.
This is where subjectivity comes into play. I've had the best luck with stuff that was made in the last century, while some of my friends absolutely swear by their Merkur's, and refuse to even consider something older.
It all depends on what your tastes are and what your beard and skin types are.
There are some great prices on older stuff on ebay and if you don't like it, you're pretty safe in being able to get your money back, if you don't like it.
Another person mentioned Maggert's, and they are dead on. If you're close to Michigan, it's worth the trip to Adrian just to see their shop as it's fairly big and has a huge selection of product, 20 to 25% of which isn't even listed on their website.
To summarize, read, research, ask more questions and just try stuff out, because there is no correct answer to your question. Also, you'll need to decide on what kinds of prep work, soaps and aftershaves to use, to make the experience even better.
One more thing is that you may want to get yourself some samplers of blades to try. You can pick those up at either Maggart's or Amazon, for less than 20 bucks or so.
Anywho, I really hope you enjoy the ride and the forum, because there are some amazing folks, with a wealth of knowledge, here.

@xian are you CONUS? If so I will save you a few headaches...send me a PM (Start a Conversation) and I will send you a vintage Gillette and a few blades. If you like it, keep it, if not, pass it along to another new member.

Having started out with a Muhle R89 I can thoroughly recommend it. Nice weight and finish for a reasonable price.

Could also try a vintage adjustable like the slim or Fatboy. If you pick one up at a reasonable price you can quite easily resell them if you don't get on with it. Slims tend to be a bit cheaper than Fatboys.

Best to stick with one razor at first until you master it before branching out. Took me a couple of weeks before I grasped the angle and no pressure....tended to walk out looking like I'd lost a fight with Edward Scissorhands at first

Lots of good advice. My first DE when I came back to DE in 2014 (I learned to shave with a DE in the early 70's, before trying SE/injector and then carts) was a MicroTouchOne. I used it for two years exclusively.

For the first six months I continued to use Edge gel. Now I use a brush and soap. In 2016, I picked up my first vintage Gillette. First a Black Handle Super Speed (1967), then a Flare Tip Super Speed (1958) and a Slim (1963) adjustable. Now they are all I use, I haven't used the MTO since I got them. The Black Handle is the newest of the three and it is 50 years old. The oldest is the Flare Tip and it is nearly 60 years old, just like its owner. I expect to be able to use them all until I die.

Technique is key, with good technique you can get a good shave with almost any equipment. But it takes some work. Which is why learning with a single razor is a good idea. If I was told I could only have one razor it would probably be the Slmi, although the Flare Tip SS would be a close second.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The method for your line of argument. Yes, I was raised by lawyers.

Allow me to suggest to the court for approval, a razor that is at the same time, inexpensive, easy to find, of a very rigid design as rigidity equates smoothness, and also very forgiving of mistakes in technique commonly made by newcomers to the DE shaving world.

RazoRock DE1 Safety Razor – ItalianBarber

In design its a copy of the much loved and respected post war Gillette Tech. Which is highly regarded for its rigidity and smoothness, while at the same time being a very mild, forgiving and gentle razor. Combined with a blade of suitable sharpness, it can also be quite efficient while also teaching proper technique very well.

Court_Decision_468.gif

My first de was a Merkur 34c. It didn't take long before my rad kicked in and I started to buy razors. I almost forgot the 34c, but now a year later I revisited it with much better technique. I have to say it's a damn nice razor. I would easily use that as my one and only razor if I had to.
My advice is like a lot of others, to buy a 34c. You simply won't get disappointed.

I started out with a Merkur 34c and then a Merkur 38c and then I fell into the rabbit hole. First a birth year C1 ball handle tech, then a no date code post war fat handle tech, than an H2 tech travel razor, than a birth quarter C4 flare tip super speed followed by an H2 Slim and finally an E4 Fatboy. My preference is now with the Gillettes. They all do a great job for me and using a birth year or birth quarter razor makes those razors even more special. For me, a razor does not have to be aggressive to be efficient and give a great shave. If I had to pick one to start out with, it would be a birth year tech. If I was only going to own one razor and never buy another, I’d pick either a Fatboy or slim and if I could get a birth year that would be the deciding vote between the adjustables..

all this info is much appreciated! I sent my info along for the offer. I found an adjustable Gillette tech 1962 on ebay. went with that for now. but now i do need blades, so thanks again. yes, the other stuff now too.

Get yourself Edwin Jagger DE 89 or Merkur 34C
Go to try a blade website and order dozen or so most popular blades
Order boar bristle shaving brush
And proraso green

@xian congrats on the purchase! Definitely follow up with a blade sampler and maybe some soap samples to nail down your tastes/preferences. It might seem like a little of an investment starting out, but it’ll be worth it before you go all in on something!

Xian,

I'd get the Muhle R89 that you referenced.

Shave with it for 6 months, experimenting with different brands of blades. Focus on your technique. Become very skillful.

After 6 months consider getting another razor. Something different. Maybe a SE. Maybe a vintage adjustable. Maybe an injector. Use it for 6 months. Focus on your technique. Become very skillful.

Do this kind of thing every 6 months. Focus on technique and getting a smooth, close, and comfortable shave. It's fun to compare and collect razors, but a razor is just a device to hold a blade in your hand. Never forget that.

I found an adjustable Gillette tech 1962 on ebay. went with that for now. but now i do need blades, so thanks again.
The Slim Adjustable is a good choice as you can dial in your setting and they are made from brass. They can still get damaged when you drop them but the handle allows a secure hold. Teamed up with a good blade and you are well on your way to great shaves.

I would agree with the maggards suggestion. Just decide whether you want open comb or closed. Then pick a handle you like. Avoid the v3a initially. You will get a lifetime quality razor that costs very little. You also get a handle you like that will work of various inevitable future heads you will purchase. Their synthetic brushes are excellent also.

hi all. Nice forum. Read all the threads with "razors for newbie" and what not. Seems like the last time someone asked was in 2015. Recommendation for beginner safety razor

This thread and perhaps a few others seemed most relevant to me in my quest.

I am still using my track2 cartridge razor. Haven't made the switch yet. But it doesn't seem like anyone ever goes back to cartridges exclusively, do they? Everyone seems happy to have made the switch, once they get over the learning curve. Any cases to the contrary?

So now that i am going to make the switch, it seems that the thing to do is go with a DE over a SE. Any particular reason for that? Anyone migrate from cartridge to SE and said yes, this is for me, no need for DE?

So going with DE razor then. Seems like there is almost no bad choice. Wealth of tools. But like sports, cars, or watches (my guilty pleasures) we men can get all caught up in endless debate and analysis about the shiny toys/tools. So call me self-aware, but who am I to not get caught up in the same, at least for now. Even though I know I will get irritated and pull back from it later. It's just a shave after all, and life is about balance.

So, having said that. I have to decide on a tool. A beginner's tool. I want dependability, durability, and performance. And, I can tell you right now that i will occasionally drop it. At some point in my life. Just like I dropped my watch, and ruined it, my tablet, my phone, my previous razor. So that's why it is with great reluctance that I ruled out any EJs even though that was going to be "IT" as of last night. I wanted a nice blue handle. I wanted color. I wanted to be deflowered delicately. I wanted English packaging. But I also want no regrets once I drop it. I also don't want any chance of corrosion or flaking. I want my first tool to last as long as I do.

I'm caught choosing between the Rockwell 6S, the Ikon Shavecraft 101, the Muhle R89 (they take their electoplating seriously) with the idea of eventually changing up the handle with a weber, looking for a vintage Gillette tech on ebay, going with the feather poplar, or piecing together a popular maggard head with a popular (or blue!) maggard handle. Stainless steel or aluminum or some other noncorrosive metal is the right metal choice. Other materials are welcome as long as they are durable and again, can withstand the bathroom tile floor.

I guess, from my choices, my range is anywhere from $15 for the feather poplar or possibly the maggard solution, to $100 for the Rockwell. I am caught between the idea of going cheap and frugal initially, to going with the rockwell, confident that i will enjoy it just as much as everyone else, and recoup my initial $ outlay in the coming year, or hedge my bet with the muhle.

You want me to focus? Sorry, I span the range of emotions. But again, life is about balance, and after all, this is just shaving. I get this crazy over black tea. Now THAT is/can be a cheap indulgence.

I welcome your suggestions, but won't take any one opinion too seriously. I am more interested in your reasoning. The method for your line of argument. Yes, I was raised by lawyers.
I'm no DE razor expert compared to many here, but of the half dozen I've tried since returning to DE shaving for the first time since my teens (no vintage), the Fendrihan MKII is the best for me, though all are good. But maybe even more important has been my switch to a high quality shaving soap and brush, neither of which needs to be terribly expensive.

Another vote for the Merkur 34c. The problem with vintage razors is you have to find one to in order to buy it. I wanted to buy a Gillette NEW one time and the only place to get one was eBay. But I could never snag one before someone else got it.
The Merkur 34c is a winner on all counts. It's been around a very long time and has proven itself.

Etsy is another decent place to buy vintage as well if you don’t mind slightly higher prices in some cases. There are some very friendly vendors.

Allow me to suggest to the court for approval, a razor that is at the same time, inexpensive, easy to find, of a very rigid design as rigidity equates smoothness, and also very forgiving of mistakes in technique commonly made by newcomers to the DE shaving world.

RazoRock DE1 Safety Razor – ItalianBarber

In design its a copy of the much loved and respected post war Gillette Tech. Which is highly regarded for its rigidity and smoothness, while at the same time being a very mild, forgiving and gentle razor. Combined with a blade of suitable sharpness, it can also be quite efficient while also teaching proper technique very well.

View attachment 835646

I have 15 razors and the DE1/Teck II is my favorite razor of all time (same head different handles). It's easily the best value in shaving at $7.00! I put a nicer handle on it, and I think it's downright pretty. I just bought 3 more, because I never want to be without this razor for the rest of my life.

proxy.php

Top Bottom