What's new

yet another newbie starting out, looking to buy....that's right, a razor

hi all. Nice forum. Read all the threads with "razors for newbie" and what not. Seems like the last time someone asked was in 2015. Recommendation for beginner safety razor

This thread and perhaps a few others seemed most relevant to me in my quest.

I am still using my track2 cartridge razor. Haven't made the switch yet. But it doesn't seem like anyone ever goes back to cartridges exclusively, do they? Everyone seems happy to have made the switch, once they get over the learning curve. Any cases to the contrary?

So now that i am going to make the switch, it seems that the thing to do is go with a DE over a SE. Any particular reason for that? Anyone migrate from cartridge to SE and said yes, this is for me, no need for DE?

So going with DE razor then. Seems like there is almost no bad choice. Wealth of tools. But like sports, cars, or watches (my guilty pleasures) we men can get all caught up in endless debate and analysis about the shiny toys/tools. So call me self-aware, but who am I to not get caught up in the same, at least for now. Even though I know I will get irritated and pull back from it later. It's just a shave after all, and life is about balance.

So, having said that. I have to decide on a tool. A beginner's tool. I want dependability, durability, and performance. And, I can tell you right now that i will occasionally drop it. At some point in my life. Just like I dropped my watch, and ruined it, my tablet, my phone, my previous razor. So that's why it is with great reluctance that I ruled out any EJs even though that was going to be "IT" as of last night. I wanted a nice blue handle. I wanted color. I wanted to be deflowered delicately. I wanted English packaging. But I also want no regrets once I drop it. I also don't want any chance of corrosion or flaking. I want my first tool to last as long as I do.

I'm caught choosing between the Rockwell 6S, the Ikon Shavecraft 101, the Muhle R89 (they take their electoplating seriously) with the idea of eventually changing up the handle with a weber, looking for a vintage Gillette tech on ebay, going with the feather poplar, or piecing together a popular maggard head with a popular (or blue!) maggard handle. Stainless steel or aluminum or some other noncorrosive metal is the right metal choice. Other materials are welcome as long as they are durable and again, can withstand the bathroom tile floor.

I guess, from my choices, my range is anywhere from $15 for the feather poplar or possibly the maggard solution, to $100 for the Rockwell. I am caught between the idea of going cheap and frugal initially, to going with the rockwell, confident that i will enjoy it just as much as everyone else, and recoup my initial $ outlay in the coming year, or hedge my bet with the muhle.

You want me to focus? Sorry, I span the range of emotions. But again, life is about balance, and after all, this is just shaving. I get this crazy over black tea. Now THAT is/can be a cheap indulgence.

I welcome your suggestions, but won't take any one opinion too seriously. I am more interested in your reasoning. The method for your line of argument. Yes, I was raised by lawyers.

There's no progression as to how you should advance in terms of shaving. If you like SE then go for SE.

I think most people here will agree that the key to a good shave is having a good shave is in the prep. The bulk of what comprises a good shave is independent of the razor. Now how far you have to go in terms of 'shave-prep' will depend on your skin and whiskers.

I'd recommend a vintage Gillette fat handled (post-war) tech as your first razor. Perhaps you don't like the idea of a 'used' or 'old' razor but if you don't mind , then I think it's a razor that you won't regret getting. The head is thin which allows you to easily shave the mustache region and allows for ease of maneuverability around the neck. It's not aggressive, but it'll still shave the whiskers off. And you can find them on the popular auction website for under $20 or you can wait and see when someone has something up for sale on here.

In terms of new razors, many will recommend the Edwin Jagger DE89 or the Merkur 34C. I can speak from experience and say the DE89 is a good razor. But the post-war tech in my personal opinion, is even better.

You might (and probably will) move on to other razors once you find out what your particular needs are. But the post-war tech will hold its ground until you're ready to make that decision.

Oh and welcome to B&B! Just hide your wallet because being on this forum seems to make money disappear lol.

Another vote for a postwar tech, but I like the ball end model, late 1940s to 1962. In mint condition should set you back less than $30. Pair it with a Feather blade. Great combo.

And then you need a brush. For beginners I would suggest a synthetic, 20 - 24mm, in the $10 to $20 range.

And soap. A zillion to choose from. DR Harris makes nice ones. $18. Pick your flavor.

Maggards is my favorite shop, but there are many good vendors.

Welcome to an improved quality of life!

Reasonings: the Tech is smooth, hard to nick yourself, and build like a tank. Shave is great with Feather blades.

Learn to use a foolproof synthetic brush before you drop big bucks on a $$$ badger.

Soap: DR Harris has good glide, easy to lather.

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
You do understand, don't you, the nature of this place?

Enablers Secret Society.jpg

People here are very helpful, but most of us understand the reality.

Buy Them All.jpg

I would not start off with an expensive razor. In the razor world you do not necessarily get what you pay for.

A decent metal, yes, I agree.

A nice enough vintage Gillette Tech, or vintage Gillette NEW SC, or maybe a modern Schöne, or a modern Fatip Gentile. These are all razors made out of durable, very long lasting brass. All are razors you might like. If you investigate them on this forum you'll find all are smooth (meaning not too likely to bite you). They vary in how efficient they are (meaning how may passes it takes to clean you up).

Schöne RAD Killer? Meme.png
The Schöne is, for example, a very smooth razor, an easy to learn razor, and also an efficient razor. Had I started with it, I might not have all the razors I've tried.

Those are all Double Edge razors, but there's nothing wrong with beginning with a Single Edge.

The ebarbershop Type O clone is an excellent razor paired with Schick Injector 11 TWIN blades. The GEM B Bar is well regarded, and available on ebay (very nice examples are under $40).

Sticking with or returning to a cartridge razor is not unheard of around these parts.

You'll find someone who likes any razor you can imagine, and someone else who hates it, but there actually is some physics involved.

Prep and software are hugely important.

Open Minded.jpg

Ask questions, and learn as much as you can. Be patient with yourself.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
A ball end tech. And Gillette Silver Blue blades. You really won't ever need anything else, but where is the fun in that? Then after a few months, get a cheap Razorock German 37 slant.

Your welcome, Dave. lol, welcome to the best place on the interwebs!!!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I did 20+ years with a plastic construction Wilkinson Sword Classic that I bought in my teens, and Wilkinson Sword blades. That razor is still going. Is is the best razor out there? Probably not. However, I got good with it, and getting good with that razor has put me in good stead with the razors I have bought since. So therefore my advice would be buy one razor - just one - and get good with it. Stick with one blade type too. Everytime you switch razors or blades you are back to learning again, and while you don't have to hone these blades, you do have to hone your skills. Make a promise to yourself that you're going to keep your wallet under control until you get competent with your first set up - and there are many enablers here that will conspire to make that more difficult for you :biggrin:

Pick one that you suspect of being drop proof. Make that your primary objective, so in your twilight years, you can tell your great-grandkids that it was the first DE razor you learned with ... and then explain to them why it's covered in dents and scratches :lol1:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My advice would be buy one razor - just one - and get good with it.

There are some razors which won't support that method, but, assuming the one razor you buy is suitable, this is good advice.

with one blade type too. Every time you switch razors or blades you are back to learning again, and while you don't have to hone these blades, you do have to hone your skills. Make a promise to yourself that you're going to keep your wallet under control until you get competent with your first set up - and there are many enablers here that will conspire to make that more difficult for you :biggrin:

Pick one that you suspect of being drop proof. Make that your primary objective, so in your twilight years, you can tell your great-grandkids that it was the first DE razor you learned with ... and then explain to them why it's covered in dents and scratches :lol1:

More good advice.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Welcome to B&B. Vintage Gillette adjustable. A Slim can be bought at a reasonable price, and they've proven to be very popular over the decades. Adjustables allow you to dial up or down the aggressiveness of the razor, allowing you to find the setting perfect for you. Happy hunting. :001_smile

I started with my Grandfathers Gillette SS, the moved onto. Merkur 34C which has since become mine and many other gents go to. I’d say start there and work your way around until u find what works for you

Welcome to B&B.

Worry less about your equipment and pay attention to technique. If you haven't already done so, take a look at this thread. It will answer many of your questions.

I started with a Merkur 34c HD, which was a great and inexpensive beginner.

Now using a vintage pre-WWII Gillette fat handled Tech (triangular shaped guard slots - I understand they are considered “aggressive” as far as early Gillette’s go, but it’s still pretty mild IMHO) and I’m a believer.

Welcome to the world of DE shaving!

I'd get a vintage adjustable on ebay. A fatboy or a slim. It's like having nine different razors to choose from and you can get one for a great price.

I suggest the Fatip Gentile. It's a modern razor made of brass, plated in chrome, gold or black metal. It has a safety bar so you don't have to worry about bending the combs of an open comb razor. I have the Grande which has the same handle, but it's open comb. Fatip razors are efficient at whacking down hairs and reaches all the areas on my face.

You can also start with a tech clone, like the Razorock de1 or Baili new design which is identical for $9.95 shipping included.

Love my Muhle R89, and I'm just a few months into this. The Fendrihan MK.II is great, too, and full stainless, so it has the durability you seek. However, the Muhle seems a little more mild to me, and less likely to bite or cause razor burn. It may be easier for you to learn with that, and less likely to revert to cartridges.

For me the joy is in the prep, and the research to find the right tools for me. It's a ritual now, where before I dreaded shaving and rarely did so. The different soaps are great to sample, and the creams seem to foam more easily. I'd recommend the Taylor of Old Bond street sampler on Amazon so you can experience many different scents, all of which will give you a great, slippery surface to slide whatever razor you choose around your face.

Enjoy, and welcome to the club!

There's no progression as to how you should advance in terms of shaving. If you like SE then go for SE.

I think most people here will agree that the key to a good shave is having a good shave is in the prep. The bulk of what comprises a good shave is independent of the razor. Now how far you have to go in terms of 'shave-prep' will depend on your skin and whiskers.

I'd recommend a vintage Gillette fat handled (post-war) tech as your first razor. Perhaps you don't like the idea of a 'used' or 'old' razor but if you don't mind , then I think it's a razor that you won't regret getting. The head is thin which allows you to easily shave the mustache region and allows for ease of maneuverability around the neck. It's not aggressive, but it'll still shave the whiskers off. And you can find them on the popular auction website for under $20 or you can wait and see when someone has something up for sale on here.

In terms of new razors, many will recommend the Edwin Jagger DE89 or the Merkur 34C. I can speak from experience and say the DE89 is a good razor. But the post-war tech in my personal opinion, is even better.

You might (and probably will) move on to other razors once you find out what your particular needs are. But the post-war tech will hold its ground until you're ready to make that decision.

Oh and welcome to B&B! Just hide your wallet because being on this forum seems to make money disappear lol.

+1. Postwar Tech is a perfect way to start. Easy to use and mild. Or a Slim Adjustable is even better as you can find out what level of aggression you like. Go from low setting until you hit your spot.
Other than that the key is to learn not to apply pressure. That is the main thing as you need to really reboot your thinking from carts.
Enjoy!

Tons of advice and all with merit. The point is that there is no answer suitable for anyone. YMMV for sure!

That said, I suggest either a Merkur 34C or one of the EJ89 series as a good place to start. These are readily available, good quality razors in the mild/moderate range. Once you use one for awhile you can establish what works and move on (or not). Just my $0.02!

I don't disagree with anything that's been written already, but my suggestion would be to start with an adjustable. At the milder settings you can work on mastering your technique without suffering. If you find it too mild you can work your way up the dial. I have used two, a Gillette Super Adjustable that I've had for 30+ years and a Merkur Progress. There are many other good choices among adjustable in both vintage and modern razors.

Top Bottom