What's new

Yet another aussie...

Can somebody please advise where I find out where the comments eg "In M3 Remission" are explained?

Enjoying the serenity around here, & waiting out my time to contribute to GSL.

I gotta say I'm agreeing with you. A bit harsh to put such an abbreviation against "subject matter newbies" but such is life.

I hope I don't get sued for saying that from now on? There was no reference to recreational drugs!

Technically... what exactly makes a given chunk of leather "a strop"?

My brother is riding a horse in Mongolia. In times gone past he has made saddles, plaited belts, bridles, the belt I wear every day - he made 30 years ago.

If it's a D-ring stitched to a chunk of leather... of a given grade... maybe I've got that covered?

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Technically... what exactly makes a given chunk of leather "a strop"?

My brother is riding a horse in Mongolia. In times gone past he has made saddles, plaited belts, bridles, the belt I wear every day - he made 30 years ago.

If it's a D-ring stitched to a chunk of leather... of a given grade... maybe I've got that covered?

If the leather is flat and soft I don't see why not. I would say if he can make a belt that's 2" or 2.25" or 2.5" wide, that's perfect. If he makes you one, I would advise to ask him to do 2 so you can keep one safe for 6 months or so as you will nick the strop at first, everyone does.

Luc

Staff member
OK better start then - it's taken me a while to get the message - just that as a newbie I was a little embarrassed at welcoming others :blushing:

It's a good way to read other new members experience and advices they received. Why not drop a Welcome aboard while there! :thumbup1:

Wildbill - Howdy! is I guess the appropriate welcome with a handle like that? as opposed to my bogan "guda-a-a-a-ay" or (yuck) "hey bro".

Luc - soft you say. Well given most of my brothers leather stock is pretty.... "well cured"? - soft isn't exactly how I'd describe it. Saddle leather is more "hard wearing" than "soft".

A bit of a "duh" moment tonight: stopped at well known Aussie discount chain "the reject shop" and bought a handle-less japanese-style tea-cup to use for lathering.

Then dropped it on my driveway getting out of the car.

Glad it was cheap, because ceramic vs concrete: the concrete won... :(

Good signs:
Just showed Mrs Westie the razor & brush I'm buying... and she said "fair enough, looks good". Can't be dissapointed with that!

Luc

Staff member
Wildbill - Howdy! is I guess the appropriate welcome with a handle like that? as opposed to my bogan "guda-a-a-a-ay" or (yuck) "hey bro".

Luc - soft you say. Well given most of my brothers leather stock is pretty.... "well cured"? - soft isn't exactly how I'd describe it. Saddle leather is more "hard wearing" than "soft".

Do you know what type of leather he's using? It can be stiff but not too much. If it's dry leather, I don't think it will work well.

Have a look at this post. I tried to show how the Japanese strop was bending compared to the Vintage Russian strop (quite stiff). I'm treating the Russian strop to get it softer and I think it's getting there...

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showpost.php?p=2281636&postcount=54

I think the main issue is, he bought a few huge pieces way back when... he used to make saddlry items, whips, belts, wallets.... then he stopped. almost 30 years ago.

Every now and then he uses that same leather and whips something else out - a replacement girth, reins, whatever. But for the work it takes to soften stuff up, if a strop needs to be "supple" then I'm probably better off buying one elsewhere.

Plus, my brother is currently riding a horse accross Mongolia, his leather is at his home in country NSW... I might want a strop before he even gets to the Chinese border let alone back to an airport.

Luc

Staff member
I think the main issue is, he bought a few huge pieces way back when... he used to make saddlry items, whips, belts, wallets.... then he stopped. almost 30 years ago.

Every now and then he uses that same leather and whips something else out - a replacement girth, reins, whatever. But for the work it takes to soften stuff up, if a strop needs to be "supple" then I'm probably better off buying one elsewhere.

Plus, my brother is currently riding a horse accross Mongolia, his leather is at his home in country NSW... I might want a strop before he even gets to the Chinese border let alone back to an airport.

Your best bet might be to buy a second-hand strop.

You could post a WTB (Want to Buy) in the Want to Buy section of the forum. Put as much information as possible and someone might contact you with something.

sounds like the way to go. Without being able to post in GSL, I asked a similar question on Whirlpool, got some answers which look sensible & included other peoples ideas on "shipped to Australa" prices.

Top Bottom