What's new

Year-Round Carry Pistol.Which One?

You fail to mention what environment that you are carrying the pistol in. From your preferences, I assume that you are carrying in an urban environment rather than the country.

Your assumption is correct :thumbup1:

NAA Mini .22mag.

You could hide this thing in board shorts...its that small. More powerful than .25acp. I got a .25acp as well, grandpa gave it to me, didn't have a use for it around his place, but the trigger is terrible, and NO way would i carry it with one in the pipe. I'd rather pull back a hammer than chamber a round when push comes to shove!

Ok, maybe not quite THAT small, but wow, what an interesting little revolver! I had never seen one before.

$21.jpg
$NAA-5th-Pocket.jpg

I carried a 4" 1911 commander for quite some time in shorts and an untucked polo. With a good high rise IWB that keeps it snug against your side you really only print if you bend down to touch your toes (or have a belly roll that would push the handle out). Go appendix carry (which always makes me a bit uncomfortable...) and you'd probably never print with any pistol. Key is picking shirts with a pattern that breaks up any bulge, so avoid solid color shirts.

Otherwise I'd recommend a glock 26. Small reliable package, and you can carry larger capacity mags as reloads or for more shooting comfort at the range. Those little pistols may be more comfy to carry, but they are usually much less comfy to shoot and thus you never really practice with them. My 642 liteweight snubby revolver was like that. Easy to drop it in a pocket but come range time, ugh....

I think, in general, folks carrying a pistol are far more worried about printing than they need to be (recent tackling of a CCW holder notwithstanding :p Other people are TOTALLY OBLIVIOUS to almost everything around them, a slight bulge at your side/back is virtually undetectable even if you don't wear the right clothes.

Maybe it is just a completely different worldview, but if I notice a concealed holstered firearm on someone, I don't assume they are about to rob the place or shoot it up. I'd more likely assume they are a LEO.

Even more so with open carry. A criminal isn't walking in with a gun holstered on his hip.

I've had a Walther PPS in 9mm for several years now. Everyone who shoots it raves on how good the trigger pull is and about how accurate it is.

I would add the Sig p239 to the short list. I am a fan of the DA/SA guns, although I know not everyone is. The first shot is a deliberate action, which can help prevent accidental discharges and any follow ups are easy.

239 is a great carry gun. I prefer DA/SA in my carry pistols as well.

I usually carry an M&P 9C, but it's just a little bit too big in the summer for me to conceal comfortably. I'd say you can't go wrong with the Shield. Check YouTube reviews: Hickok45 and Faliaphotography for starters.

I buy US made too, but I'd cross that line for a Sig 938.

I've used a Milt Sparks VM-II for about 15 years now to carry a full sized-1911 daily, often for 12-16 hours at a time. In the summer, I can carry under a bloused shirt by using the kydex clips that they offer as an option. They may be a little difficult to get, but they are worth the effort.

I have a Kahr MK9 that is very easy to hide... in a pancake, IWB, in a pocket or on your ankle (when un-tucked is unacceptable) with dress slacks or baggy jeans. There are a couple different mag options (finger extension or flat) that help.

I am 5'8" and 160 pounds. I wear a 29" waist jeans and still manage to conceal my H&K usp.40 or my SIG 229 under a loose t-shirt. I don't have experience with the S&W but haven't heard anything bad yet. As far as the lc9...... Well IMO I wouldn't recommend it. I am an instructor, RSO, and direct matches at my club. I had one couple show up with a pair of brand new lc9's and before the first 25 rounds were fired, one was loosing parts. 4 months on the repairs, and at this time I am not sure if it is running at 100% yet or not.

The recommendations for a SIG, I will back 100% plus. Built like a tank and go bang every time you pull the trigger.

If this is too basic, I beg your pardon. It's just that I don't know your level of experience with CCW. Too many people will buy an $800 pistol, and then stick it in a $25 holster held up by a $10 belt. It doesn't work. It's all part of a system, and it all needs to be quality.

When you get your pistol, use the period while you are breaking it in and familiarizing yourself with it to research carry methods and holsters. I would suggest that you give first consideration to a good IWB (inside the waistband) holster. This can be worn under almost any jacket, sports coat, or vest. Some makers, like Milt Sparks have options that allow carrying the holster under a shirt.

If this is too basic, I beg your pardon. It's just that I don't know your level of experience with CCW. Too many people will buy an $800 pistol, and then stick it in a $25 holster held up by a $10 belt. It doesn't work. It's all part of a system, and it all needs to be quality.

When you get your pistol, use the period while you are breaking it in and familiarizing yourself with it to research carry methods and holsters. I would suggest that you give first consideration to a good IWB (inside the waistband) holster. This can be worn under almost any jacket, sports coat, or vest. Some makers, like Milt Sparks have options that allow carrying the holster under a shirt.

Not at all, I appreciate the input. I also appreciate the importance of learning your holster and how you weapon comes out of it. Drilling over and over and over with a retention holster will teach you that pretty quick.

For the record, I buy good belts :thumbup1:

I carry a Springfield Armory XD 9mm...some don't like the double stack (it's kinda chubby) but I don't have an issue with it.

I've been looking into a CZ and Sig (my brother owns the LGS, lucky me!)

Top Bottom