What's new

Yay, first rifle!

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
The worst scope mount invention ever are see thru rings. They are cheap and flimsy. They put your head too high for proper shooting. They change your point of impact too much at anything other than zero.

^^^ Listen to this feller.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Oh, and a humble suggestion (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). Go get two, three, four, five or more 500 round bricks of .22 ammo and shoot the heck out of that bad boy.

Mine is just the walnut stocked, unmodified except for a scope, carbine model but it can shoot well as it is just box stock. You'll be surprised how your groups get smaller after you get used to it.

This thread got me to thinking about the last time I shot mine so I pulled up an old thread...goodness that has been over a year ago. You can see how quickly the groups shrank from 2 1/4 inch to 1 inch to 3/4 inch at 50 yards when I got settled in with it...and this is only three, three shot groups after not shooting it for a year or two. I usually shoot handguns so the 10/22 has been neglected. And I'm not that good of a shot in the first place. I need to drag that old Ruger out in a few days and run at least a 100 rounds through it...I "may" be able to turn in a 1/2 inch group at 50 yards...if I'm lucky. :001_smile

[post=7245996] For not shooting it for over a year or two I'll take the last group. [/post]

proxy.php

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Yup, consistently is the key word.

Oh, I forgot to say what the groups were in the article the guy shot that built the three $1,200 and over ones for his kids turned in...from what he wrote.

Average of three, five shot groups at 50 yards from a Sinclair benchrest. Winds gusting 5 to 8 mph.

Magnum Research barrel:

CCI Select 40-gr. RN...1.77 inch
Federal Gold Medal 40-gr. RN...0.59 inch
Winchester Super X 40-gr. RM...1.92 inch

Tactical Solutions barrel:

CCI Select 40-gr. RN...0.98 inch
Federal Gold Medal 40-gr. RN...1.92 inch
Winchester Super X 40-gr. RN...1.81 inch

Volquartsen barrel:

CCI Select 40-gr. RN...0.76 inch
Federal Gold Medal 40-gr. RN...0.73 inch
Winchester Super X 40-gr. RN...0.92 inch

Looks like the Volqartsen barrel turned in the most consistent.

I'll have to get the old Ruger out in a few days and play with it like that for groups...just for grins. That should be fun!

As it is...if I ever get attacked by a horde of Zombie tin cans...I think I have it covered. :biggrin1:

And so... down the rabbit hole I go......

The 10/22 came with a perfectly serviceable cheap Simmons 4x(?). But I'd like a bit more magnification.
Any opinions on whether it would be worth upgrading to a BSA Sweet .22 3-9 x 40mm Rifle Scope?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NJUPAS

The attraction (besides the higher magnification) is that it is .22-specific and comes with three different turrets that are calibrated for the trajectory of 36-gr., 38-gr. and 40-gr bullets.
Gimmick or feature?

I know there are nicer scopes out there, I'd love a Nikon -- but I'm not putting on a scope that's worth more than the gun. (or at least not yet.... ;) )
Take a look at the Nikon Prostaff Target EFR 3-9x40 AO. Parallax adjustable down to 10 meters (most scopes are set to a minimum of 50 yards) and under $200. I have one on my 10/22 and it's fantastic. They go on sale occasionally for 150ish.

Last edited:
Yup, consistently is the key word.

Oh, I forgot to say what the groups were in the article the guy shot that built the three $1,200 and over ones for his kids turned in...from what he wrote.

Average of three, five shot groups at 50 yards from a Sinclair benchrest. Winds gusting 5 to 8 mph.

Magnum Research barrel:

CCI Select 40-gr. RN...1.77 inch
Federal Gold Medal 40-gr. RN...0.59 inch
Winchester Super X 40-gr. RM...1.92 inch

Tactical Solutions barrel:

CCI Select 40-gr. RN...0.98 inch
Federal Gold Medal 40-gr. RN...1.92 inch
Winchester Super X 40-gr. RN...1.81 inch

Volquartsen barrel:

CCI Select 40-gr. RN...0.76 inch
Federal Gold Medal 40-gr. RN...0.73 inch
Winchester Super X 40-gr. RN...0.92 inch

Those results are why I say skipthrowing money at a 10/22 chasing accuracy and just buy a CZ. They generally shoot an inch or so with budget ammo and 1/2" or so with better target ammo....sure some are worse and some are better.

But this thread is about the 10/22. Some people get inflamed when you mention a CZ in a 10/22 conversation. With that said, I own a 10/22. It is the first new rifle I bought nearly 30 years ago....I just don't shoot it much anymore after discovering CZs.:laugh:

Last edited:
Top Bottom