What's new

Yaqi Top Aggressive Slant - First Shave

The name of this razor seems to be quite a mouthful. Here's the full name on the AliExpress site, Yaqi Top Cap Aggressive Gunmetal Color Slant Safety Razor Head. It's a double open comb slant that I decided to give a try when it was only $5 and change delivered during the 11/11 sale. It arrived yesterday and my first reaction was, "Wow, this is attractive, well-made and very scary looking!". I paired it with a stainless steel handle from an Edwin Jagger razor. One thing to note is that the Yaqi has a long threaded top cap and some handles will not fit. Based upon a recommendation from @Bondage007, I will be picking up a gunmetal handle to match the Yaqi head.

In any event, this morning I lathered up with some Mike's Orange, Cedarwood and Black Pepper using my Yaqi 26 mm 2 band brush and gave this DOC slant a try. I had no problem finding the right angle of attack, but I have to admit that I started out very cautiously, a bit worried that this razor might bite. It did not. Yes, there is a fair amount of blade feel, but not uncomfortably so. What is quite remarkable is the auditory feedback, or just plain noise from this razor. No other razor I have used comes close. My MMOC is a distant second. Does this indicate "blade chatter"? I don't know, but perhaps it does. What I do know is that this razor produced as close a shave (perhaps a closer shave) than any other DE razor I have used to date. I did my normal 2 pass, WTG and ATG, shave and skipped the touch-ups because there was nothing left to touch-up. Post shave the alum block produced no additional sting and I have no nicks, cuts or irritation.

The only question that I still need to answer is whether this is a razor I can use daily without causing irritation. Time will tell on that one. I've posted a couple of picture for those of you who haven't see this razor before.

Attachments

• IMG_20201202_100102.jpg
    IMG_20201202_100102.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 239
  • IMG_20201202_100109.jpg
    IMG_20201202_100109.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 240

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
The name of this razor seems to be quite a mouthful. Here's the full name on the AliExpress site, Yaqi Top Cap Aggressive Gunmetal Color Slant Safety Razor Head. It's a double open comb slant that I decided to give a try when it was only $5 and change delivered during the 11/11 sale. It arrived yesterday and my first reaction was, "Wow, this is attractive, well-made and very scary looking!". I paired it with a stainless steel handle from an Edwin Jagger razor. One thing to note is that the Yaqi has a long threaded top cap and some handles will not fit. Based upon a recommendation from @Bondage007, I will be picking up a gunmetal handle to match the Yaqi head.

In any event, this morning I lathered up with some Mike's Orange, Cedarwood and Black Pepper using my Yaqi 26 mm 2 band brush and gave this DOC slant a try. I had no problem finding the right angle of attack, but I have to admit that I started out very cautiously, a bit worried that this razor might bite. It did not. Yes, there is a fair amount of blade feel, but not uncomfortably so. What is quite remarkable is the auditory feedback, or just plain noise from this razor. No other razor I have used comes close. My MMOC is a distant second. Does this indicate "blade chatter"? I don't know, but perhaps it does. What I do know is that this razor produced as close a shave (perhaps a closer shave) than any other DE razor I have used to date. I did my normal 2 pass, WTG and ATG, shave and skipped the touch-ups because there was nothing left to touch-up. Post shave the alum block produced no additional sting and I have no nicks, cuts or irritation.

The only question that I still need to answer is whether this is a razor I can use daily without causing irritation. Time will tell on that one. I've posted a couple of picture for those of you who haven't see this razor before.

I am so glad someone else has seen the light!

This is the best DE razor I have used in 10 years of wetshaving. I am thinking of selling my others.

To answer some questions of yours:
  • There is a lot of blade "singing" with this razor, but it is actually very gentle.
  • I don't think the singing is due to blade chatter because it clamps the blade down perfectly.
  • Because of the exposure of the blade a steep angle is necessary.
  • In 2+ months of using this, I have only nicked myself once or twice.
  • I can shave every day with this razor, which is rare for me because I have very sensitive skin.
  • Blades make a huge difference. Try Super Max Super Platinum.

I was about to pick up that handle I mentioned earlier, but I just saw that I can get the Rockwell gunmetal handle for $15 + shipping. My only hesitancy is about the fairly long threads on the top cap. If anyone who has this head also has a Rockwell handle, can you see if it threads on OK?

I've got one of these on the way, along with a Yaqi brush, and can't wait to give it a try. Good to know about the thread length issue. I've got an Ikon and a West Coast handle that are currently headless to try with it, but will probably look for something in gunmetal if this DOC works for me. Would love to see some pictures with it mounted on various handles.

That looks scary, to be honest.

But what I am talking about? I just ordered the Yaqi Knight Helmet razor head a few days ago, said to be the most aggressive and scary of all the Yaqi razors. I'll find out when it gets here, but it is supposed to take until the end of this month before it arrives.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I've got one of these on the way, along with a Yaqi brush, and can't wait to give it a try. Good to know about the thread length issue. I've got an Ikon and a West Coast handle that are currently headless to try with it, but will probably look for something in gunmetal if this DOC works for me. Would love to see some pictures with it mounted on various handles.
I have it mounted on the iKon OSS (I think) and it fits seamlessly.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
That looks scary, to be honest.

But what I am talking about? I just ordered the Yaqi Knight Helmet razor head a few days ago, said to be the most aggressive and scary of all the Yaqi razors. I'll find out when it gets here, but it is supposed to take until the end of this month before it arrives.
I have the knight helmet. It is good but more aggressive than the slant. Shaves marginally less close.

@JackJ here's a post from @Bondage007 which shows his gunmetal Yaqi head on a handle from ebay. It's item # 232567479100. I have a Rockwell gunmetal handle on the way, which was only $15. I'll post pics after I get it.

Hello

Mine arrived today. I picked up a generic gunmetal razor for the handle (didn’t have any gunmetal) to match.
Must say fit and finish are better than I expected. Blade alignment lots great and no defective cap teeth that could cause blade wave.
Will take maiden voyage with a Voskhod tomorrow. Looks like it might be a tad efficient.....
Eye candy below.

Cheers
John
View attachment 998587 View attachment 998588 View attachment 998589 View attachment 998590 View attachment 998591

here's a post from @Bondage007 which shows his gunmetal Yaqi head on a handle from ebay. It's item # 232567479100. I have a Rockwell gunmetal handle on the way, which was only $15. I'll post pics after I get it.

That 'bay handle looks about right to me--not too long, not too skinny (which describes me pretty well too). I've got what I consider some moderately aggressive DE's (a Merkur 37c, a FOCS, and a Maggard OC), plus an R41 that's apparently on a very slow boat from Spain, but this Yaqi will be my first very aggressive safety. There's nothing tough about my whiskers or skin, so I'm probably not the best candidate for a weaponized razor. But curiosity was calling.....

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
I got this back in September and daaaaamn it gives a close shave. The audio feedback is incredible and it's not blade chatter as the blade feels solid. The thread was a little long for my Parker handle, but a washer soon sorted that out.
When I started using it it was quite scary, now it's just a bit scary

@JackJ here's a post from @Bondage007 which shows his gunmetal Yaqi head on a handle from ebay. It's item # 232567479100. I have a Rockwell gunmetal handle on the way, which was only $15. I'll post pics after I get it.
Hello,

just tried the slant head on about six different handles. None of them had issues with handle threaded hole being too shallow. I think you’re good to go with the Rockwell handle. Could you post link to Rockwell handle?

Cheers
John

Hello,

just tried the slant head on about six different handles. None of them had issues with handle threaded hole being too shallow. I think you’re good to go with the Rockwell handle. Could you post link to Rockwell handle?

Cheers
John

You will have to pay shipping unless you add something else to bring the total above $20. I went with a bar of bath soap which is discounted to $7. They also have blades, shave soap and some accessories to get you over the free shipping threshold.

I ordered the Rockwell handle earlier, figuring that I could use nylon washer(s) like @Mike M did with his Parker handle.

This morning was the second shave with the Yaqi DOC Slant. I once again used Mike's soap, but this time I lathered up using my Yaqi Rainbow Brown synthetic brush. This was the second shave with the Personna Israeli blade that I loaded into the slant yesterday. Once again the appearance, blade feel and auditory feedback made me aware that I should be careful using this razor. That said, it isn't a particularly rough shaver. But it's not the smoothest razor I've used either. I did manage to draw a tiny bit of blood by shaving over a pimple, but I've done that with much milder razors. After two consecutive days using this razor, I'm inclined to believe that I can use it everyday if I choose to do so without worrying about any irritation. Once again the results were excellent. Two passes, no touchup needed and a perfectly smooth face and neck.

This morning was the second shave with the Yaqi DOC Slant. I once again used Mike's soap, but this time I lathered up using my Yaqi Rainbow Brown synthetic brush. This was the second shave with the Personna Israeli blade that I loaded into the slant yesterday. Once again the appearance, blade feel and auditory feedback made me aware that I should be careful using this razor. That said, it isn't a particularly rough shaver. But it's not the smoothest razor I've used either. I did manage to draw a tiny bit of blood by shaving over a pimple, but I've done that with much milder razors. After two consecutive days using this razor, I'm inclined to believe that I can use it everyday if I choose to do so without worrying about any irritation. Once again the results were excellent. Two passes, no touchup needed and a perfectly smooth face and neck.
I have just 2 questions:
Does it shave better than other razors you have?
Do you enjoy the shave more than you do with other razors?

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Yeah, I like the looks, but I’m not a fan it’s a 2 piece handle, but since it’s a travel razor it’s understandable why they went this way.
I had not realized that this was a travel razor. Now I feel better about it.

Please tell us how the DLC is!

Top Bottom