What's new

Yaqi Sentinel

there is no way to use the Sentinel cap with the Poleaxe baseplate right?
Nope. Pic one and two are sentinel cap on poleaxe. Pic three is poleaxe cap on sentinel.

april_2023-04-18-17-06-05-620.jpg

Nope. Pic one and two are sentinel cap on poleaxe. Pic three is poleaxe cap on sentinel.

View attachment 1640273
Thanks! Too bad! I personally do not have particular issues with the Flatboy, but I am not looking forward to wedging a blade in and out each shave either. Such a shame. I like the knurling on the side as opposed to the straight bar on the Sentinel. But in this case substance over doen might be a better approach.

personally do not have particular issues with the Flatboy
Hi Guido,

Me neither. But this poleaxe really is pushing it regarding blade removal. As someone who cleans his razor throroughly after each shave I can tell you this won't make you happy. It is REALLY difficult.

Perhaps after a couple of shaves it can be found on the BST. That or the Sentinel. Depending on how the less sharp blades cope with this head.

Hi Guido,

Me neither. But this poleaxe really is pushing it regarding blade removal. As someone who cleans his razor throroughly after each shave I can tell you this won't make you happy. It is REALLY difficult.

Perhaps after a couple of shaves it can be found on the BST. That or the Sentinel. Depending on how the less sharp blades cope with this head.
For the record - absolutely not angry at you!! I just have a thing against producers that do not test their own products for quality issues. If you would have used a Kai, ok - broader blade etc etc, but a regular blade should have a regular fit. That’s why we invented the DE standard. About…100+ years ago?!

Cheers,

Guido

Well I am Leary of Chinese Quality Control, friend has some products being manufacture there.

Let’s say the Quality Control can be great or aweful.

Being diplomatic the Chinese standard are not like ours.

It’s cultural thing. Yes they can do HIGH QUALITY WORK, but not like we do in USA.

Being diplomatic the Chinese standard are not like ours.

It’s cultural thing. Yes they can do HIGH QUALITY WORK, but not like we do in USA.
I'm not sure how to respond to this. This DS AX clearly has a blade removal issue. My DS handle has a bad thread, but other than that I have been nothing but pleased with the Chinese produced razors, shaving brushes and homage watches that I have bought.
If anything I am absolutely baffled by the quality of some of their offerings especially when taking their price-range into account.

Let's not forget that this is the first batch of DS Ax razors being released. There are numerous complaints about Fatip (Italian) alignment problems, Fatips have been around for years. I read lots of alignment problems with the Merkur Progress, a German made razor that has been into production since the 1950s. Alot of issues with earlier versions of Rex Ambassador razors (US made) and ongoing problems with even the latest batches of Pearl Flexi razors.

I think some things are just rushed to the market without sufficient testing.

This DS-AX for instance, I can't find a SINGLE review of this razor head on the internet. That's weird, they should have sent some out to popular youtube reviewers like Kensurfs (who is actually sponsored by them???! Subie-shaves, Kevvy shaves etc.) But it would appear that they neglected to do so this time around, which is a pitty. Perhaps they felt they had to rush into this because of the well performing Yaqi Sentinel?

Well let’s be diplomatic, my friend who has item made in China is OCD about quality.

Why bad review kill products. He manufactures products for profits.

I recently test a Bata of New Product, his R & D costs were huge, and he as I said was OCD about getting bugs out before release.

Internet bad reviews is not what he want, that would kill sales.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
First shave with the Ds ax in the books. I knew it was arriving today so managed to postpone my morning shave until midday.

Boy this looks pretty and wolfie like. I also appreciate the serial number and markings on the bottom of the place, where as Yaqi only has the gap size on the side of the razor.

Uptown's remark about the blade getting stuck is unfortunatly very true. It's a real pita to get the blade out.
People who already had beef with the razorine flatboy, avoid this RAZOR. Disassembling this razor is straight out dangerous.

The shave... There's more blade feel but it feels smooth. I haven't had the chance to weight them, but the ax base plate and cap look thicker and feel heavier in hand.

I used a permasharp to best compare my recent sentinel 1.35 shaves and... boy, I had quite alot of weepers and irritation. The shave's efficiency though feels as close to a Konsul on 9 as could get. It's extremely efficient and alot more so than the Sentinel 1.35. No surprise, given the extra exposure and gap. Though after shave one, this feels like it's too much for me.
I love the soft cheeks but I am now about 4 hours post shave and my neck is still red. Had some schooling right after the shave, so felt like a complete idiot looking like a boiled lobster.

I changed the blade for tomorrow to a Dorco St300.

PS again the kvs handle didn't screw on the ax head. There is definetly something wrong with the threading of that handle.

full
Sounds like the DS AX 1.35mm model might be a better smoother shave than the 1.55mm I'm thinking. It sure does look Wolfie all right.

What I meant with quality issues is that you would expect some guy would have raised his finger in the early stages to say “ehh…guys, when I clamp the blade down, it becomes stuck. Is that on purpose?”

Fatip have alignment issues yes because of the smaller posts, but the blade does fit! The Flatboy takes regular blades too and yes they do get stuck somewhat - if that’s similar to the DAx I would be ok with it, but reading Shaun’s response I think this is not the case.

Other than that I think the DS and Yaqi clones regarding this thread are very well polished indeed and the reviews I read here - with @Ron R leading the pack - are almost exclusively positive. That accounts for something I think.

I do wish that they had sat together when designing this head. DS knurling with Yaqi specs would have been an absolute winner in my book. Ever since the Sentinel came out it’s been on my radar - and sold out quicker than I could press buy.

Looking forward to your second shave @Shaun asleep.

I just noticed ds actually warns for this, at the very bottom of the product page.

"First Version the cap tightening blade is a little tight, thanks for your understanding."
Didn't see that previously. To remove the blade I hold the cap in the off hand thumb on the post then use the other thumb upwards with the thumbnail to tap it out. It pops out fairly easy every time. I tried to polish the milling on the post but haven't spent enough time on that yet.

Didn't see that previously. To remove the blade I hold the cap in the off hand thumb on the post then use the other thumb upwards with the thumbnail to tap it out. It pops out fairly easy every time. I tried to polish the milling on the post but haven't spent enough time on that yet.

Your idea has merit but as we age old hand do not function like 20 - 30 year old.

Old people by Razors, I want friendly Razor.

Swapped out the Permasharp for a Dorco ST-300. The shave was better, it was smooth, the result was a clean shaven face without nicks, weepers or irritation. After yesterday's introduction, I am pleased to report that I genuinly enjoyed this morning's shave. Did limit myself to two passes as the neck was still a bit sore.

I believe my handle choice for this head might have been the wrong one. It's a cheap ss handle called 'stain steel handle'. It's visually a copy of an EJ 3one6 handle or perhaps a Muhle r41 stick but weighs a hefty 80 grams. I have to watch not to push down for any extra pressure, something I probably did on my first shave because it's what I need to do to get the Sentinel 1.35 to perform.

Blade removal works with a fingernail unless you just clipped them, you need a little lenghth on that nail to get it done. After getting one side lose you'll need some pulling to get it over the thread and from underneath the side posts of the other side. I tried it a couple of times and got the hang of it, but it's still annoying.

full

lasta

Blade Biter
Swapped out the Permasharp for a Dorco ST-300. The shave was better, it was smooth, the result was a clean shaven face without nicks, weepers or irritation. After yesterday's introduction, I am pleased to report that I genuinly enjoyed this morning's shave. Did limit myself to two passes as the neck was still a bit sore.

I believe my handle choice for this head might have been the wrong one. It's a cheap ss handle called 'stain steel handle'. It's visually a copy of an EJ 3one6 handle or perhaps a Muhle r41 stick but weighs a hefty 80 grams. I have to watch not to push down for any extra pressure, something I probably did on my first shave because it's what I need to do to get the Sentinel 1.35 to perform.

Blade removal works with a fingernail unless you just clipped them, you need a little lenghth on that nail to get it done. After getting one side lose you'll need some pulling to get it over the thread and from underneath the side posts of the other side. I tried it a couple of times and got the hang of it, but it's still annoying.

full
A bit off-topic, but how do you find the Arko! creams? They are becoming available in my part of the world!

A bit off-topic, but how do you find the Arko! creams?
I only have the "hydrate" version. It's a good cream, it's got some menthol in it so if that's not your thing I would avoid.
Though fresh smelling there's something in there that reminds me of the smell of Popler (Populus) trees. I don't love or hate the scent but it triggers my memory and takes me back the the area just outside the Belgian coast. Wind blowing through the leaves, that scent noticeable, clear blue skies, ...

But for me it's a bit more expensive to buy than a Palmolive green cream tube and I find Palmolive to be just a tad more slick.

lasta

Blade Biter
I only have the "hydrate" version. It's a good cream, it's got some menthol in it so if that's not your thing I would avoid.
Though fresh smelling there's something in there that reminds me of the smell of Popler (Populus) trees. I don't love or hate the scent but it triggers my memory and takes me back the the area just outside the Belgian coast. Wind blowing through the leaves, that scent noticeable, clear blue skies, ...

But for me it's a bit more expensive to buy than a Palmolive green cream tube and I find Palmolive to be just a tad more slick.
Belgian coast, clear blue sky, wind blowing through the leaves...Sounds beautiful!

I'm guessing no Arko! Red spunk to be found?

I'm guessing no Arko! Red spunk to be found?
Not sure what you mean, mate. I'm not a native English speaker so I'm guessing you either mean:

No red cream found? --> Nope. But I've seen the purple for sale in Dutch stores.
No zombie/apocalypse/public restroom scent note detected in this Arko hydrate cream? --> Thankfully, no. :)

We obviously have the sticks and pucks for sale everywhere. But I haven't had the guts to try them out.

lasta

Blade Biter
Not sure what you mean, mate. I'm not a native English speaker so I'm guessing you either mean:

No red cream found? --> Nope. I've seen the purple for sale in Dutch stores.
No zombie/apocalypse/public restroom scent note detected in this Arko hydrate cream? --> Thankfully, no. :)

We obviously have the sticks and pucks for sale everywhere. But I haven't had the guts to try them out.
Such a shame, Arko has been neutered...

Anyways, thank you. You gentlemen better get back to the topic at hand.

Top Bottom