What's new

Yaqi Sentinel

Third and last report on the Ds-AX.

Amazing shave, brohams (© GlazedBoker).
It mowed through the stubble without mercy or effort. It was smooth, though I do notice some blade chatter going AGT (doesn't bother me).
Not unlike the shave the blade removal becomes easier, but it's still not as safe as your other razor.

Paired with this dorco st300 blade this shave result feels better and closer than the Sentinel 1.35. The shave was easy, no blood shed. Applying the aftershave splash yielded no burn.

If you made me choose between the two razors today, I would pick the DS AX. For me the Sentinel needs a sharp blade. The ax seems to work better with an averagely sharp blade. I have a nice variaty of medium sharp blades and only "supersharp" kind, Permasharp.
april_2023-04-20-07-43-22-201.jpg

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I just noticed ds actually warns for this, at the very bottom of the product page.

"First Version the cap tightening blade is a little tight, thanks for your understanding."
They did add the warning after a lot of people complained.
Unlike the first Z0 they also didn't label it prototype.
I am also wondering that this wasn't noticed earlier.

Well, it seems to do nicely otherwise. That's good to hear, might get over depending on your further feedback once they sold out the first run.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, May 2nd 2023

Razor : Yaqi Sentinel polished 316 SS 1.5mm + a Chippendale 316 SS polished Darwin looking handle- Mfg 2022>, mild razor to tame mid range depending on blade used. Well built and designed with great finish. I like to use the OLD Sputnik extra wide or the Kai SS extra wide blade for a little more blade feel.
Blade : Sputnik old type extra wide, sharp & smooth with reasonable longevity, it is not the sharpest blade out there but it will deliver a decent shave + this blade is ideal for razors 4 corner post alignment only if wanting a little more blade feel IMO.
Soap : La Toja stick, very mild smoke scent + excellent lather qualities. Works very well with a 26 mm Synthetic brush.
Brush : Yaqi "Red Zebra" 26mm snow leopard knot, excellent lather generator, heavenly luxury cloud like soft tips, gentle scrubber + excellent lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Razorock American barber splash with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : 1-10 dial - Copy (2)3 template 9.5.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: excellent shave with my Yaqi Sentinel with a extra wide old type Sputnik blade.
SOTD May 2 2023.jpg

Have some great shaves!

To those of you with both the 1.5mm and 1.35mm Sentinel's, what is your take on the differences?

I remember reading that the caps were supposedly identical, but they definitely are not the same on these two.
The 1.35mm cap is much lighter and reduced in height compared to the 1.5mm cap - the base plates differ as well.

As a result it has a very minimal cap span compared to the 1.5mm. Looking at the plates, the difference is much higher than the photos would suggest.

The 1.35 also has a lot more blade feel and it seems to have noticeable blade chatter too, as if the clamping is not the same either. It will probably work when used steep but I tried to shave by riding the cap and that wasn't anywhere as close or comfortable as it was with the 1.5mm

FWIW, the 1.35 blase plate will fit into the 1.5mm cap but not the other way around.

20230503_094747.jpg
20230503_094320.jpg

Ron R

To those of you with both the 1.5mm and 1.35mm Sentinel's, what is your take on the differences?

I remember reading that the caps were supposedly identical, but they definitely are not the same on these two.
The 1.35mm cap is much lighter and reduced in height compared to the 1.5mm cap - the base plates differ as well.

As a result it has a very minimal cap span compared to the 1.5mm. Looking at the plates, the difference is much higher than the photos would suggest.

The 1.35 also has a lot more blade feel and it seems to have noticeable blade chatter too, as if the clamping is not the same either. It will probably work when used steep but I tried to shave by riding the cap and that wasn't anywhere as close or comfortable as it was with the 1.5mm

FWIW, the 1.35 blase plate will fit into the 1.5mm cap but not the other way around.

View attachment 1648406View attachment 1648407
Looking at your excellent photo's it looks like the 1.35 top cap is thinner machined closest to the blade. It is obvious that will make it more aggressive. Try switching the the top caps and have a shave with the 1.50mm top with the 1.35mm base plate & see if feels different. It would be nice to know what your experience is for that shave, you never know! I suspect a little more aggression with shave just by your photo's.
Nothing wrong with what Yaqi did because their objective was to make a slightly more aggressive razor for folks who wanted that.
There are a # of ways to improve blade feel with razors, like thinner top caps, less wide base plates, gap changes & Single edge(SE) you can use thinner blade stops or move the blade stops forward more if possible or change the top cap shapes that I have noticed over the years.

Ron R

DE SOTD, Saturday, May 13th 2023

Razor : Yaqi Sentinel 1.5mm polished 316 SS with a Yaqi Chippendale SS polished SS handle- Mfg 2022> Mild razor to tame mid range depending on blade used + accurate machining & good finish QC. I like to use a Kai Extra wide for more blade feel & performance. Had a close comfortable shave this morning with no drama.
Blade : Kai SS extra wide(9) sharp & smooth with excellent longevity. Great blade for milder razors IMO with good results.
Soap : Ach Brito Lavanda, nice lavender with a touch of mint to my nose with excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi "Goblin" 24 mm synthetic, excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, nice splay scrubber + excellent lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Post shave : Ach Brito Lavanda with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : 1-10 dial - Copy (2)3 template 9.5.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Excellent shave with my Yaqi Sentinel 1.5mm with a Kai SS extra wide blade.
SOTD May 13 2023.jpg

Have some great shaves!

View attachment 1648406View attachment 1648407
My 1.55 Sentinel doesn't have the gap listed on the base plate, it is also not quite as thick as the 1.35. I can swap caps back and forth no issues.
The 1.35 shaves better shallow, steep left much more stubble and required more touch ups. I don't notice any blade chatter with either the 1.35 or 1.55.
Sorry for the bad angle, 1.55 on the right.

20230513_191653.jpg

Interesting find @cavediver. I find my 1.10 Boti WR2 clone to be more efficient than my 1.5 Yaqi, so I think the 1.35 might be an uncommunicated update on the 1.5 design. It got released later, after all.

Chances are you're right about that.
The 1.35 I received was from the second/latest batch.
It seems like the first batch of the 1.35 sold out during the anniversary sale, it then became unavailable for a few weeks. It looks like they made changes after that.

Here is another picture of the top caps side by side, the 1.5 cap being on the right.
The biggest difference is the lip on the side of the cap that is much thinner on the 1.35.

20230503_094603.jpg

Ron R

My 1.55 Sentinel doesn't have the gap listed on the base plate, it is also not quite as thick as the 1.35. I can swap caps back and forth no issues.
The 1.35 shaves better shallow, steep left much more stubble and required more touch ups. I don't notice any blade chatter with either the 1.35 or 1.55.
Sorry for the bad angle, 1.55 on the right.
Another great photo, safety bars look slightly different in height when sitting on your flat stand.
Yaqi base plates 1.50 & 1.35 different heights 2..jpg

Have some great shaves!

Try switching the the top caps and have a shave with the 1.50mm top with the 1.35mm base plate & see if feels different. It would be nice to know what your experience is for that shave, you never know! I

I used the combination you suggested a couple of times and tried the 1.35mm base plate with the 1.5mm cap.
The shave angle appears to get a bit smaller. Using this razor, I shave shallow coming in from the cap end, until it bites 100%. That procedure works just as well with the 1.35mm base plate as it does with the larger version.
If you switched around the base plates, shaving shallow/neutral, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference during a normal shave.
So both are just fine for me.
For someone shaving steep, the 1.5mm base plate would likely be a more effective alternative.

Now as to the top cap that the 1.35mm plate came with, all bets are off with it.
I shaved with it twice and didn't like how it feels.
The cap span is a great deal smaller and possibly there may be more blade exposure, not sure about the latter. For some reason it also feels like the blade isn't clamped as well. The shave result wasn't as great, the experience felt bad. This may just be me, I'm not sure.
It will be interesting to see if this cap is a one off experimental thing by Yaqi or if others will get one like it as well.

Ron R

DE SOTD, Saturday, June 10th 2023

Razor : Yaqi Sentinel 1.50mm 316 SS polished with a Chippendale (Darwin looking) polished 316SS handle- Mfg 2023>, mild range, machining and finish QC are great, I like to use a Kai SS extra wide blade for a boost in blade feel and results. I find this razor works well and easy on the skin with few issues. Had a great close shave this morning with no issues.
Blade : Kai SS extra wide (7) sharp and smooth with excellent longevity. Nice pairing with the Yaqi Sentinel razor IMO.
Soap : Ach Brito Lavanda cream, nice lavender with a touch of mint? + excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi "Dandelion" 24mm Cashmere knot, excellent lather generator, luxury cloud like soft tips, Gentle splay scrubber + excellent lather painter. Cashmere knot with this handle works well for myself.
Post shave : Ach Brito Lavanda AS:001_wub: with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : 1-10 dial - Copy (2)3 template 9.5.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Excellent shave with my Yaqi Sentinel with a Kai SS Extra wide.
SOTD May June 10 2023.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom