What's new

WTB Messenger Bag

Gentlemen,

I am constantly surprised and impressed with the amount of knowledge for everything better in life. I have been looking for the perfect messenger bag for 8 years now. I came close once; about 6 years ago I was in an airport (can't remember the country) and saw one that met all my expectations. I didn't buy it...hindsight is always 20/20. I was wondering if any of you intelligent chaps could enlighten me? Here are my requirements:

-Large enough to fit a laptop, although not generally used for it
-As little metal on it as possible - no zippers! maybe brass belt buckle on front
-Soft & Fatigued leather - NOT SHINY! :tongue_sm
-preferably under $500, but exceptions exist :thumbup1:

Thanks a bunch in advance!

One more requirement: no extra pockets (showing) on the outside. Very simple and direct.

Last edited:
Well, I'll direct you to The Saddleback Leather Company

They meet all your criteria, and in my opinion their leather is beautiful. Also, all their stuff comes with a 100 year warranty. It's the way I would go, unless you're concerned about your leather saying Louis Vuitton or something along those lines.

This is one accessory I do not want to show off (no "look at me" labels like LV), but like a nice watch people just start conversations with you about it.

I am a little concerned with the thick leather, doesn't seem soft. Otherwise, great recommendation. Maybe I will give them a call when I get back in the US.

Any other recommendations?

David King does a nice distressed leather messenger bag as does Cole Haan. It's probably a bit shiny for you but Coach make a great leather messenger bag.

Well, I'll direct you to The Saddleback Leather Company

They meet all your criteria, and in my opinion their leather is beautiful. Also, all their stuff comes with a 100 year warranty. It's the way I would go, unless you're concerned about your leather saying Louis Vuitton or something along those lines.

drooolll. very pretty. Though wicked expensive for a poor social worker. I might have to start saving up, though, especially for one of the briefcases. Nice! :thumbup1:

drooolll. very pretty. Though wicked expensive for a poor social worker. I might have to start saving up, though, especially for one of the briefcases. Nice! :thumbup1:

I like them too.... but also too expensive for this grad student

Perhaps one day

Not really sure, I think the measurements are 13 X 12.75 for the large, gotta go back to the site to see. I will likely throw my netbook in there anyways.

+1 for Saddleback.

:thumbup:

I own many of their products (the Messenger and Large Satchel only have 1 c.i.difference in space, the Messenger is longer and narrower while the Satchel is wider and shallower)

I also have the Duffel, the Backpack, and a Medium Briefcase (I gave my Extra-large Briefcase to my son-in-law), the Notepad, medium bi-fold wallet...

Like Dave Munson states on his web site, you only cry once.

If I had it to do all over again and limit myself to just one item (owning both the Medium and Extra Large Briefcases) I would get the Large Briefcase.

I use a medium sized saddleback satchel as my dopp kit. Since I started wet shaving I carry nearly as much stuff as my girl. It's a great quality bag, I love to unload the bathroom stuff and use it as a man purse when on vacation.

Last edited:
Someday I hope it is that easy for me, too.

What sized laptops will fit in their satchel?

I can fit a 15-inch Macbook pro w/power cord into the large satchel with little room for anything else besides a notepad.

If you want to carry a laptop regularly, I would opt for the briefcase rather than the satchel. The Medium is their smallest as they discontinued the Small, will fit a standard 15-inch laptop, their notepad and a couple folders in one compartment and the other compartment can carry many accessories / necessities, even your lunch.

I've heard some good things about CustomHide brand bags...but I've not used them myself. They're not as expensive as some of the other suggestions...

The saddleback bag is awesome, a wonderful addition. I take it with me everywhere now. One thing of note, and not trying to stir up anything; I don't appreciate it when companies/retailers/sellers try to push their political and/or religious views on me by including them in the purchase. There was a pamphlet included in one of the sleeves, and probably stopped me from ever purchasing again from them/him. Bad form IMO.

The saddleback bag is awesome, a wonderful addition. I take it with me everywhere now. One thing of note, and not trying to stir up anything; I don't appreciate it when companies/retailers/sellers try to push their political and/or religious views on me by including them in the purchase. There was a pamphlet included in one of the sleeves, and probably stopped me from ever purchasing again from them/him. Bad form IMO.

For what it is worth, SBL is a family run business and their dad is a Pastor, so if you have no need for the few verses of scripture in the 6 pages 1 inch by 1.5 inch, I'd just throw it away. As for me, I have most of their products already, and when they come out with their Dopp Kit I'll be getting that as well.

Top Bottom