What's new

Worst soap ever?

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Ogallala Bay Rum, Limes, and Peppercorns. I love the scent, love the aftershave, would love to love the soap. I have tried for almost a year to be happy with this soap, but no matter which brush/razor/blade combination I use, no matter how much water I use, and no matter the method I use to make the lather seems to matter. I just cannot get a close irritation free shave with this soap.

I bought some Joshua Tree lime that came with a nice mug and some JT lime-scented balm.

The soap was so bad you couldn't even superlather it, I swear.

I felt compelled to give them a zero-star review on Ebay just so others would be warned.

My worst performing soap was a puck of Badger shop that I found in a local shop. Bought it because I liked the name. Unfortunately, the name was the best part. The puck ended up in the bath!

I agree, found a puck of Badger shave soap locally and it was total garbage. Between Badger and Williams I almost gave up on shave soap. It sucks because the Badger soap had clean ingredients and the scent was not bad, but disappearing lather is unacceptable with any shaving soap.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Herban Cowboy (non lathering) and Joshua Tree (olive oil) ended their soapy lives in the shower. Williams can be made to work, but it's not a good choice.

AA

Grandpa's Pine Tar Soap. Marketed as a one Soap for everything. Smells like an old forest fire, shaves are less than stellar, and you cannot wash the scent off, new skin has to replace the tainted.

To me it's Williams. I loathe it.
I thought Williams was the worst soap ever till I tried a couple of razorock offerings. At least Williams offers a little slickness even though it disappears before you can finish shaving. Razorock is as fake as can be...lots of lather but no slickness at all.

Grandpa's Pine Tar Soap. Marketed as a one Soap for everything. Smells like an old forest fire, shaves are less than stellar, and you cannot wash the scent off, new skin has to replace the tainted.
Dang that is some bad soap in every way.

I thought Williams was the worst soap ever till I tried a couple of razorock offerings. At least Williams offers a little slickness even though it disappears before you can finish shaving. Razorock is as fake as can be...lots of lather but no slickness at all.

I guess it's really a case of YMMV because I find the couple of Razorock soaps I have perform great for me and they have enough slickness.

I guess it's really a case of YMMV because I find the couple of Razorock soaps I have perform great for me and they have enough slickness.
I believe ya. It wasn't till after I ordered them that I found out that more than one maker has rozorocks name on it. I have Don Marco and classic. Do you have either.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I guess I've avoided the land mines, i can honestly say I've never had a truly "bad" soap. Some perform better than others, but nothing terrible in my experience...

Mikes Natural
Barrister & Man
Speick (stick)
Tabac (Stick)
Klar
Art of Shaving (nos tallow formula)
Mystic Waters
RazoRock
Mitchell's Wool Fat

MWF was the only disappointment for me. I really tried to get along with it but found that producing great lather was elusive. I wouldn't call it the "worst soap ever" though

Last edited:
Do you like the Don Marco? Out of that and the classic it's the better of the 2 but nothing like stirling, proraso or some of the others I use.

Yes, the Don Marco is nice. There's another Italian-made soap called Tcheon Fung Sing Bergamotto Neroli which I also have and their scents seem identical. The best Razorock soap I use is One X. The scent is a delight.

Razorock is sensitive to over-hydration. I just lather it up a little dryer than most soaps, and it works pretty well. I do the same with Mitchels Wool Fat. My Razorock tub is the XXX formula with tallow, but no lanolin.

Top Bottom