What's new

Worst soap ever?

For me, it is Williams (new). The old was good but the only way I can use the new is if I use it for superlather or uberlather.
It's not a bad idea to keep around just for that purpose. I have both Shannon's and B&M's unscented to try them before ordering more scents so those are my go-to for super lather with a cream.

Arko. It works great, but the smell made me want to gag. If it was even unscented, I'd just use it and drop all other soaps, especially at its price point.

Tabac. The soap of the Gods. And the finest scent this side of a leather saddle. I struggle to understand your post, but as with all things shaving, YMMV.

A leather saddle. An object that has been strapped to a sweaty horse and sat upon by a sweaty posterior. :001_smile

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I have yet to read even a mediocre review of Joshua Tree shave soap. One day, I'm gonna get my hands on a puck just to see if it is as bad as everyone says. Yeah, I'm kinda stupid that way. :letterk1:

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I have yet to read even a mediocre review of Joshua Tree shave soap. One day, I'm gonna get my hands on a puck just to see if it is as bad as everyone says. Yeah, I'm kinda stupid that way. :letterk1:

Order some of their lavender lip balm while you're at it, it's one of the best I've tried.

Cheers, Steve

I've persevered, watched numerous videos, and read many posts here and elsewhere on the topic, but i can finally confirm that Geo F Trumpers Sandalwood is the worst soap i've ever used. Oddly, it's also the most expensive, and was given to me as a Christmas gift by my sister so i didn't actually pay for it, but she obviously did. I was thrilled when it came in my stocking in beautiful packaging and a gorgeous beechwood bowl, and it smelt nice too.
I'll cut to the chase. Third time lucky this morning i got it out and after watching Nik Shaves on Youtube soaked it in hot water for the duration of my shower. Sure enough it lathered fine, but half a pass later the soap was a shadow of it's former self. The lather was disappearing before my eyes. I finished the shave with a squirt of my cheapest Boots lather shave cream which was far better in spite of being probably my worst shave cream.
I realise some creams/soaps take time to dial in - it took me a while to fall in love with my current favourite Mitchell's Wool Fat - but i think i've had it with this stuff. I will keep the wonderful container and maybe put a puck of Cella or something in it, but i don't see myself going back for another lousy shave with the Trumpers. Very disappointed.
I had exactly the same issue with my last puck of GFT Eucris. I started a thread about how I rehabilitated it. In a nutshell, just superlather it with some cream. Despite it's flaws, the soap is SLICK. Before the Eucris, I had some GFT coconut that gave disappearing lather as well, but it was OK if I shaved quickly.

For me the worst soap was Stirling,unfortunately got six sample pucks.
Scents were nothing special, and one of them was so bad I had to "air" it out in the garage for a week.

The worst part is the sticky residue they leave after use.
I know they are popular with many here, but they do not work for me. As always these are YMMV.

Many dislike the YMMV post, but as these "best" & "worst" threads appear it indicates that the YMMV statement still need posting. What works for some does not work for all.

My only complaint about Stirling is the scents. Specifically, they make too many. I wish they would have concentrated on half a dozen really excellent scents rather than trying to make something for everyone. (Also, Arkadia tastes terrible when I get it in my mouth.)

For me, despite the love it gets here, Proraso has got to be up in my top 3 worst soaps. I just tried a sample of Soap Commander and that fell into my never purchase category as well. Now you've got me nervous though, I have a nice wooden bowl of GFT sandalwood sitting on my counter that I haven't tried yet...
Just prepare to superlather the GFT. It will be OK.

Burt's Bees Bay Rum. Could not get it to lather no matter what. This was years ago, and I've learned a LOT since then about lathering. I think it's been discontinued. I say, "good riddance."
I seem to remember it having hard brown specs in the soap. I always worried about getting a spec of it caught between the blade and my skin.

I tried a soap once which had alum block in it! It was by Le Pere Lucien I think. Horrible combination.

Osma makes a soap with alum. Is that what you are thinking of?

Williams. I threw my first and only puck of Williams in the trash today. Not sure how they do it, but that lather is mysterious how it just disappears.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Osma makes a soap with alum in it that's more difficult to lather. @Jarrod at TSS has or had instructions for lathering that worked, basically load the brush until you had a paste that you worked onto your face, added water gradually until you got a slick lather. It's a quite decent soap but a bit of a bother to lather, and there are many options that perform as well and are easier to use.

Cheers, Steve

My worst performing soap was a puck of Badger shop that I found in a local shop. Bought it because I liked the name. Unfortunately, the name was the best part. The puck ended up in the bath!

Funny, I have to agree with posts 2,3 and 4, and in that order.

I personally had never had lather disappear until I tried the Herban Cowboy. Wish I had seen the reviews on here before buying it. I gave it a few tries and then put it in the shower because I do like the scent.

Col. Conk bay rum was the first puck I bought when I started DE shaving. It worked okay, just not what I had hoped for and the scent was more subdued than I prefer.

I have used Williams a few times, and I find that it does the job, but I would like to see better lather. I can't write it off completely because it is the only puck available in stores where I live, and I'm hoping that my lathering technique has improved since I last used it.

For me it was Italian Barber Fresco Verde. Smelled like some industrial cleaner. Never made it to my face. At least it kept the raccoons out of the garbage.

Savonaire de Moulin Tempete. It just doesn't work for me.

I also want to like Mystic Water but it's even more difficult to lather than MWF and Williams.

For me it would be Col Conk's almond. Lather is OK, slickness is meh, and it dries my face. When I used one puck as a bath soap, it only lasted about a week (and wasn't terrific there either). The scent, now consider that I love almond, is meh. It starts out OK but a little weak, but it loses what little intensity there is quite quickly. The only thing I use it for anymore is to create a superlather with my TOBS almond cream, but I don't do that much anymore because I like the TOBS too much to mix it with mediocrity. I may throw away the puck I have left (or gift it with a disclaimer in a PIF) and try Cella for my almond scent soap.

Top Bottom