What's new

Wolfman New Finishes?

My own thinking is that he is pre-occupied with some custom orders right now
(orders made via email, not the site). And before anyone asks, no, you can't just email him requesting a razor unless he knows you, and you've purchased from him before...
This exact thought has crossed my mind more than once as it just seems that certain people seem to post more and more and have increased numbers of his razors and yet never any mention of catching a sale on his site... Just another reason I have stayed my distance from mfg's like James as that is blatantly playing the favorites card and something I have and will never entertain!! Its not fair to the rest of the community and I just can't support someone like that...

This exact thought has crossed my mind more than once as it just seems that certain people seem to post more and more and have increased numbers of his razors and yet never any mention of catching a sale on his site... Just another reason I have stayed my distance from mfg's like James as that is blatantly playing the favorites card and something I have and will never entertain!! Its not fair to the rest of the community and I just can't support someone like that...

Hi, let me clarify my post further. I don't think JD plays favourites at all.
Based on a previous email convo I had with him pertaining to a specific order, he indicated
that he wasn't thrilled about the same people ordering over and over, depriving
first timers from having a shot. But he has a system in place and anyone can
try their luck. The guys who get multiple razors know what it takes to optimise
their chances better than anyone else.

The reason I speculated that he was probably pre-occupied with custom orders is that
someone a few posts before mentioned he is currently making a titanium razor for them. He hasn't
offered titanium for a long time now, so I figured this may be a custom order. I could be wrong.
He does take orders by email in rare cases....once I wanted to order two razors at once
and he turned me down. He said wait for three months and then email me...that's his way
of freeing up the web orders for people who've never got one. Hope this explains things
a little better.

The reason I speculated that he was probably pre-occupied with custom orders is that
someone a few posts before mentioned he is currently making a titanium razor for them. He hasn't
offered titanium for a long time now, so I figured this may be a custom order.
Titanium is offered just the same as Stainless for some as there are 4-5 people that have received Titanium just in the past few months now!! There's nothing custom about Titanium coming from James... Though it would seem that if you are a previous owner of one of his razors it is easier to get one!!
He does take orders by email in rare cases....once I wanted to order two razors at once
and he turned me down. He said wait for three months and then email me...that's his way
of freeing up the web orders for people who've never got one. Hope this explains things
a little better.
As I mentioned in my previous post, this has been my suspicion for the past couple years now, but its all good as I probably never would've ordered one to begin with as I highly doubt the shave would be $400 better than my Ti95DC anyway.... Again though, this is still very unfair for anyone else that doesn't have one and wants to spend their money on one and he's playing favorites behind closed doors!!

I will add that for quite some time now I know James has been very upset at those that finally do get a chance to own one of his beautiful creations only for it to wind up on the auction site selling for double+ more than what he charges and playing favorites behind closed doors keeps that from happening, yet keeps him busy everyday making and selling razors....

Dunno man...I have two and still have to queue up just like everyone else.
I did not take up his email offer...ordered my second one through a web drop as well...
and he let me know that the email offer was rescinded.

Last edited:
There is no conspiracy here. I have several Wolfman razors and the way I've gotten them is by watching the site and by knowing others who watch the site closely as well. I've gotten the text message from a friend saying "it's up" and I jump in there as fast as I possibly can. I've let some good friends know as well if I happened to catch it first. Sometimes I have the opportunity and sometimes not so much. It's still very difficult to get these items. This requires a lot of effort and some luck as well.

As far as emailing James goes I've likely emailed him a dozen times over the years and no he doesn't email me back and ask what I need. Nine times out of ten I get no response. I have gotten the opportunity to purchase a razor (one time) when asking about when a specific material might be available again. A total fluke of luck. From time to time he will reply to emails and grant a request for a returning customer but this is not common. This is a complete surprise when this happens. That being said, there is no group that you get into that you get whatever you want whenever you want. It's a complete surprise if I even get a response to an email I send him not to mention the opportunity to make a purchase.

I wouldn't recommend emailing him daily as that'll get you marked as a nuisance and likely put on the ignore list. You probably do have a better chance at getting a response if you are a repeat customer but it's certainly not a key to the castle as it was taken to be a few posts up. Those of us that have multiple razors have followed the same process that everyone else has to get them. We just pay way closer attention to the drops and put a hell of a lot more effort into it.

What I'm getting at here is that he does try to keep it as fair as possible and looks for ways to get his razors into the hands of first time buyers.

If you do happen to get one I wouldn't recommend flipping it for a quick profit as if you're caught that's a sure fire way to never get another one.

Great post by David. He's exactly right. I've ordered a couple of piles of his razors and despite that, I get zero preferential treatment. My emails are almost always ignored. I order on drops just like everyone else, for the most part.

Catching drops is really hard. It's time consuming. 95% of the guys whining about his process are not willing to put the time in to secure one...and that's fine with me.

We all have the same tools. Some of us use them quite effectively. Some don't. Some of us have the time to hunt, others don't. It's the nature of this beast until DuFour decides to change. However, nothing he does will satisfy everyone. Too many guys expect the razors to drop in their laps.

It's a good thing there are other fantastic razors on the market that arguably perform just as well.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Got to maintain a sense of humor about this.

upload_2019-8-4_7-54-5.gif

And for those who think only wolfmans are hard to get....the recent Paladin 5th anniversary release
of 25 brushes was sold out in 44 seconds....the last varlet drop, I fumbled the ball for a second....gone!

Wolfman drops Ive known have lasted longer than both of those.

Last edited:
There is no conspiracy here. I have several Wolfman razors and the way I've gotten them is by watching the site and by knowing others who watch the site closely as well. I've gotten the text message from a friend saying "it's up" and I jump in there as fast as I possibly can. I've let some good friends know as well if I happened to catch it first. Sometimes I have the opportunity and sometimes not so much. It's still very difficult to get these items. This requires a lot of effort and some luck as well.

As far as emailing James goes I've likely emailed him a dozen times over the years and no he doesn't email me back and ask what I need. Nine times out of ten I get no response. I have gotten the opportunity to purchase a razor (one time) when asking about when a specific material might be available again. A total fluke of luck. From time to time he will reply to emails and grant a request for a returning customer but this is not common. This is a complete surprise when this happens. That being said, there is no group that you get into that you get whatever you want whenever you want. It's a complete surprise if I even get a response to an email I send him not to mention the opportunity to make a purchase.

I wouldn't recommend emailing him daily as that'll get you marked as a nuisance and likely put on the ignore list. You probably do have a better chance at getting a response if you are a repeat customer but it's certainly not a key to the castle as it was taken to be a few posts up. Those of us that have multiple razors have followed the same process that everyone else has to get them. We just pay way closer attention to the drops and put a hell of a lot more effort into it.

What I'm getting at here is that he does try to keep it as fair as possible and looks for ways to get his razors into the hands of first time buyers.

If you do happen to get one I wouldn't recommend flipping it for a quick profit as if you're caught that's a sure fire way to never get another one.

Perfect

DFoulk says it more eloquently than I ever could.
+1 Nicely done David.

Funny thing, I started this thread wanting to know about the new finishes in case I were lucky enough to land a new Wolfman. I was hoping it would help narrow down a decision, it only has added to my indecision. What finish, what blade gap, stainless, titanium, SB/dual/OC, solid/hollow handle? The only thing I really know for sure is I want the WRH1 handle on a WR2 head. My current set up is WR2 1.05SB with WRH2 (solid 90mm). My thought is to get a more aggressive/efficient set up with a 1.15 or even 1.25, but not sure how much more aggressive I can take. When I was lucky enough to get my first WR2, I struggled between the WRH1 and WRH2 handles and opted for the classic barber pole WRH2. That WRH1 handle sure looks sharp.

Great post by David. He's exactly right. I've ordered a couple of piles of his razors and despite that, I get zero preferential treatment. My emails are almost always ignored. I order on drops just like everyone else, for the most part.

Catching drops is really hard. It's time consuming. 95% of the guys whining about his process are not willing to put the time in to secure one...and that's fine with me.

We all have the same tools. Some of us use them quite effectively. Some don't. Some of us have the time to hunt, others don't. It's the nature of this beast until DuFour decides to change. However, nothing he does will satisfy everyone. Too many guys expect the razors to drop in their laps.

It's a good thing there are other fantastic razors on the market that arguably perform just as well.

Many fantastic razors available. Another reason I started thinking about a more efficient Wolfman was my recent acquisition of a Charcoal Goods level 2 antique brass. It is a tad more aggressive/efficient than my WR2 1.05 and thought it would be nice to try the higher blade gaps on a Wolfman. With that said, there are so many tempting razors on the market that I can continue to test the waters should I decide to to do so.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
The way I look at it is people that really want one will put the time in , and those very fortunate ones that have multiple Razors really
Like what they have and go after it again.
They are beautiful Razors and shave very well
Are they Magical the way that they Shave?
No ! No Razor is . Whatever works for you is best for you . People that are not in to shaving
and see it as something that you have to do look at all of us and think we are nuts for having more than one or two Razors and spending the amount of money that we do.
My beautiful Wife of 41 years always asks me "How many razors do you need"
Would I purchase a Wolfman , yes in a click.
Will it give me twice the shave that my Timeless gives me ? I have been fortunate to have the pleasure of using 2 different Wolfman Razors that are on loan from a very generous B&B member and I can honestly say that I prefer my Timeless OC .95
But I would still purchase a Wolfman.

The way I look at it is people that really want one will put the time in , and those very fortunate ones that have multiple Razors really
Like what they have and go after it again.
They are beautiful Razors and shave very well
Are they Magical the way that they Shave?
No ! No Razor is . Whatever works for you is best for you . People that are not in to shaving
and see it as something that you have to do look at all of us and think we are nuts for having more than one or two Razors and spending the amount of money that we do.
My beautiful Wife of 41 years always asks me "How many razors do you need"
Would I purchase a Wolfman , yes in a click.
Will it give me twice the shave that my Timeless gives me ? I have been fortunate to have the pleasure of using 2 different Wolfman Razors that are on loan from a very generous B&B member and I can honestly say that I prefer my Timeless OC .95
But I would still purchase a Wolfman.
I agree. T95 is just as good or better than most of the Wolfman razors. Only the off menu blade gaps could be called better. I don't like the bulk of the Timeless head. I can work it but a WR1 is easier to wield.

If you love a T95, there is not much need to chase anything else. It's pretty efficient, very smooth, and not a ton of blade feel. Great razor no doubt.

Another reason I started thinking about a more efficient Wolfman was my recent acquisition of a Charcoal Goods level 2 antique brass. It is a tad more aggressive/efficient than my WR2 1.05 and thought it would be nice to try the higher blade gaps on a Wolfman.

I found the 1.15SB to be a little more efficient than the level 2...and smoother.
As I don't fancy the idea of keeping razors that overlap in efficiency, I sold my level 2
with no regrets.
I think the 1.25 will nudge up against, and even slightly exceed the level 3 in efficiency,
plus offer a smoother feel on the face while doing its work.

Always tricky to recommend a razor, but what I can say is, Ive not seen
a single WTS ad offloading a 1.25...so maybe they are not as daunting as the number suggests.
WRH1 and Darwin are my favourite handles among everything Ive seen so far.

One silver lining: if you dont like a wolfman, you can recoup your cost 100%
or trade it without a problem.

LOOT and dfoulk nailed it. All the information is out there. It just takes research skills and the persistence to get one from a drop. I enjoy the challenge of trying to order a Wolfman, Varlet, etc. It appeals to whatever it is that makes me enjoy fly fishing for Atlantic salmon and sea trout, another (mostly) futile pursuit that definitely isn't for everyone.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Hmm, my interaction was smooth, though many grisly eons ago in interweb forum time .. James made me a razor that I love, that shaves as well as any, but I am not sure I would have pulled the trigger for a great deal more than the approximately $150 USD I paid. I am sorry he's the poster child for razor flippers, but then even arsesses have a human connected

Does anyone have pictures of the satin/brushed stainless steel WR2? I have seen plenty of the titanium and SS polished. Thanks.

Top Bottom