What's new

Wolfman New Finishes?

0330 this morning. WHO THE HECK IS UP AT THOSE HOURS?!?
Not I, thankfully. I was sleeping like a baby and woke up feeling like a champion. Then I shaved with my CG... what a day already. Maybe next time on the Wolfie.

SOD.jpg

I was lucky enough to land a new Wolfman, this one in the brushed matte/basic finish. I thought I would post the difference for others who may have interest in the difference between brushed matte basic (not to be confused with the satin matte polished) and the mirror polish (not to be confused with the basic polish). These are the two extremes offered. The difference in price is significant $150-$200 depending on the finish you select. My new Wolfman is also a WR2, but a 1.15 SB, with hallow WRH1 handle. The matte finish with the hallow handle make for a completely different experience.

IMG_3574.jpeg

IMG_3573.jpeg

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I was lucky enough to land a new Wolfman, this one in the brushed matte/basic finish. I thought I would post the difference for others who may have interest in the difference between brushed matte basic (not to be confused with the satin matte polished) and the mirror polish (not to be confused with the basic polish). These are the two extremes offered. The difference in price is significant $150-$200 depending on the finish you select. My new Wolfman is also a WR2, but a 1.15 SB, with hallow WRH1 handle. The matte finish with the hallow handle make for a completely different experience.

View attachment 1014678

View attachment 1014679
Tom, that’s awesome!! Congrats, my friend!

As great as mirror polish looks, I am staying away from it in future. Not so much for the
premium pricing, it's more to do with an unwillingness to invest the fuss and care that goes into
maintaining mirror polish.

My next one, a SS 1.45 WR2 SB, is coming with the Brushed Satin finish.

Your new razor is the one I would really be interested in seeing the difference in brushed "satin" vs my brushed "basic/matte" . I hear the difference in the mirror and basic polished is not significant. The lack of finish images on the Wolfman website is a bit weak considering that is a pretty important detail in selecting a Wolfman.

I think that, so long as the fit and performance is unaffected, this option becomes a means for people who are more concerned about "performance" than they are about appearance. Just as there are "car guys" who are washing and waxing their baby every other weekend, so, too, are there razor geeks who want that "perfect finish" for their playthings. In equal measure, are the users who just want an excellent shave, and for it to look "nice" rather than like a museum piece.
I received my WR2 two weeks ago.

Finishing basic/textured polished.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php
Are you certain that is the Basic finish?
It looks even more polished than a
Mirror.

They say it is the final 5% of improvement that takes him the most time and hence incurs the most cost.
For many the incremental cost won't be worth it to achieve that little extra oomph. But since my goal is to just
have two eventually, I figured why not get all the bells and whistles.

Ive heard that brushed satin has a 'silky' look and feel. I am hoping it
will have a smooth, soft glide on the face.

The differences (in his words) are:

"Brushed (Satin) - The best brushed finish. First highly polished, then lightly brushed resulting in a satin finish.

Brushed (Basic/Matte) - Once machined and sanded smooth, a simple brushing will produce a matte finish. Process marks from machining and sanding will be visible on some surfaces.

Last edited:
As great as mirror polish looks, I am staying away from it in future. Not so much for the
premium pricing, it's more to do with an unwillingness to invest the fuss and care that goes into
maintaining mirror polish.

My next one, a SS 1.45 WR2 SB, is coming with the Brushed Satin finish.
Congrats on the new razor. It will be interesting to hear your thoughts on the 1.45SB. it a noticeable step up from the 125.

The mirror can be a pain. You can look at one cross and it will smudge. It's easy to clean but it does take time.

I've come to appreciated the brushed finishes. They still look relatively clean even after use.

Yeah, I do think it's that last 5% that takes the most time. I bought a poorly cared for WR1 mirror. I'm trying to polish it out myself. I'm close to 95% now. It's taken many hours to to it manually. I'm certain I'll never get it back to a hundo.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I have matte on my older WR1. Looks great to me.

I also have a matte finish on my old WR1 (which cost about half of what my new WR2 pedestrian finish I ordered last night cost), and I know I enjoy it as much as I would a mirror polished version.

My 2015 Subaru Forester has had a cracked windshield for about three years--it still works like a charm.

The new finishes look great but I guess I am just an old timer with old time tastes. I may be going against the grain a bit here but I still favor plain polished brass. I love the way the patina develops into a rich warm color and it buffs back to original shine very easily.

One day I may go for a second Wolfman in another finish but it took me a long time to get the one I have. If I do jump back on the slow train matte titanium will be my choice.

Top Bottom