What's new

Wolfman Blade Gap Question

It would be interesting to see a poll among single wolfman owners....I would bet
most of them went for 1.15
Well, that's me then.
I bought the WR2 basic polished, Dual Comb 1.15 gap with SB one side and OC the other side.
Kept the gap the same, as otherwise how would I tell if the SB was smoother than the OC if the gaps were different?
Short answer...they feel the same to me.
Just had the one shave as the razor only arrived yesterday.
Started with a 'Winner', but bunged a Feather in for tomorrow.
The WR2 won't replace my Timeless or Karve (yet). I decided today that I will keep all of them and use them regularly for a few months.
Then I can decide what is going on the BST. Maybe one, maybe none.

^^If your Wolfman winds up needing a new home, I promise to care for it, feed it and nurture it as if it were my own. :)

j/k I'm willing to wait the 18+ months until my name gets called. I'm aiming for a 1.05 (or maybe even .95) SB in the brushed satin finish or mirror finish. This will give me time to keep new razors rolling in for me to try. This binging, followed by receding into silence for 9 months cycle I'm on is not how my hobby addictions have gone for me in the past, hahaha.

ok today i shaved with the R41 again but instead of ydays setup (97g) i paired the R41 with the timeless handle bringing the weight up to 120g. I believe that this had increased the efficiency of the R41 because the shave itself did not feel as smooth as ydays r41 shave and it stung like hell when i applied the splash. My face also feels slightly tender from the shave but this could be due to 3xT95 shaves + 2xr41 shaves for the week.

Tomorrow i plan to shave again with the lighter R41 combo (97g) and if the shave feels smoother etc then i know that with a more efficient head i am better off with a lighter handle so will end up getting the WRH2 hollowed out.

This will bring the weight of the WR2 (33g) @1.25 gap + WRH2 90mm hollow (64g) = 97g which is exactly the weight of the R41 + yaqi handle combo.

2020-02-14 08_05_41-Window.png

we'll THATS THAT as they say.. I am over reading and thinking about the wolfman anymore and have just submitted by final config on the razor.

Head: WR2 SB 1.25 gap
Handle: WRH2 90mm Solid
Basic Polished

just want to say thanks for everyone's comments and suggestions in helping me find my wolfman razor configuration, all your points of view have been very helpful.

we'll THATS THAT as they say.. I am over reading and thinking about the wolfman anymore and have just submitted by final config on the razor.

Basic Polished

just want to say thanks for everyone's comments and suggestions in helping me find my wolfman razor configuration, all your points of view have been very helpful.
Congrats!!! Should be a great combination.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.

Basic Polished

Welcome to the club. Congrats...you’re going to love the 1.25.
F71DA782-E708-4CC9-B5D4-6E6F15DD1518.jpeg

Welcome to the club. Congrats...you’re going to love the 1.25.View attachment 1062833

Thanks Dan that is one gorgeous looking razor. i remember you recommended me the 1.25 gap to me from the very beginning, many many hours later of trolling through posts has led me right back to your initial recommendation :)

i think it will be perfect... BTW did you end up getting a solid or hollow handle?

Hannah's Dad

Thanks Dan that is one gorgeous looking razor. i remember you recommended me the 1.25 gap to me from the very beginning, many many hours later of trolling through posts has led me right back to your initial recommendation :)

i think it will be perfect... BTW did you end up getting a solid or hollow handle?
I have the exact combination that you ordered — solid handle. I love the heft, balance and expensive feel. Hope you do, too, mate!!

I have the exact combination that you ordered — solid handle. I love the heft, balance and expensive feel. Hope you do, too, mate!!

i have a strong feeling i will absolutely love it, now just that agonizing 2-3 week wait

its funny when you are in no hurry for months, and could of easily wait a few more but once you make your mind up and order, a few days is too long let alone a couple of weeks

anyway will give me a chance to use the razors i have while i can :)

Hannah's Dad

I shimmed mine tonight with a credit card shim and it still provided a smooth shave at a 2.0mm+ gap. The WR2 is simply brilliant!

Hannah's Dad

i have a strong feeling i will absolutely love it, now just that agonizing 2-3 week wait

its funny when you are in no hurry for months, and could of easily wait a few more but once you make your mind up and order, a few days is too long let alone a couple of weeks

anyway will give me a chance to use the razors i have while i can :)
Even better — it will help you downsize your den. When you get the Wolf, your others will get lonely so begin the purge now!

I shimmed mine tonight with a credit card shim and it still provided a smooth shave at a 2.0mm+ gap. The WR2 is simply brilliant!

2.0mm + gap??? wow!! and i was concerned about going from 1.15 to 1.25 lol

its amazing how such a gap still allows for a smooth shave, I am assuming a gap like that would allow for a one pass shave?

Hannah's Dad

2.0mm + gap??? wow!! and i was concerned about going from 1.15 to 1.25 lol

its amazing how such a gap still allows for a smooth shave, I am assuming a gap like that would allow for a one pass shave?
A credit card is .76mm thick; so the 1.25+.76=2.01mm. And yes, I only shaved WTG tonight.

Even better — it will help you downsize your den. When you get the Wolf, your others will get lonely so begin the purge now!

i really dont have that many razors, these internet forums have provided invaluable information that has helped me chose excellent razors

The only razors i have are listed below and apart from possibly the Timeless, the rest will remain with me. I will only keep razors if they offer me something 'different' in feel. The timeless offered me very smooth and efficient shaves but i feel the wolf will possibly offer me smoother and more efficient shaves and if it does this better than timeless it may end up being sold. If my son doest get into DE then the 6C will go also.

1. 1969 Gillette Slim - i really like this razor and can get BBS in three passes + touch up on a mild setting of 6-7
  2. 1973 Gillette SuperSpeed Q1 - My birth razor, although i dont really like the 100mm handle it will never leave the den
  3. Rockwell 6C - Only keeping this in case my son every wants to wet shave, its a great kit to learn with
  4. DE89 - My first ever DE razor and now owned by the minister for war and finance
  5. JAWS - I love this razor and my only true OC wont let this one go, best value for money out there IMHO
  6. R41 - I just love the way this razor shaves and will hold onto it
  7. Timeless 95 SB - I do enjoy shaving with this especially the smoothness of the shaves, but i fear this may possibly be my one and only casualty.

I am anticipating the wolf maybe the RAD killer i have been waiting for

Basic Polished

Hurry up and put your name back on the email waiting list for another. Just what I did after my first shave with mine.

Hurry up and put your name back on the email waiting list for another. Just what I did after my first shave with mine.

I plan to do just that but want to wait till i get or at least pay for the razor, in case they think I am not playing fair and doubling up on razors resulting in a cancellation of my first, can you imagine that happened? i would be devastated.

1. 1969 Gillette Slim - i really like this razor and can get BBS in three passes + touch up on a mild setting of 6-7

Fyi, the Slim Adjustable was made from 1961 through 1968. I wasn't aware of any 1969 Slims. What is the date code letter under the head?

By the way, I recently received my WR2 1.15 and I’m still trying to decide which, if any, of my Timeless SS, Karve SS, and Blackbird are going on the chopping block. My GC84, NEW SC, and birth year Super 84 are staying for sure. The jury is still out on those others.

Last edited:
Fyi, the Slim Adjustable was made from 1961 through 1968. I wasn't aware of any 1969 Slims. What is the date code letter under the head?

By the way, I recently received my WR2 1.15 and I’m still trying to decide which, if any, of my Timeless SS, Karve SS, and Blackbird are going on the chopping block. My GC84, NEW SC, and birth year Super 84 are staying for sure. The jury is still out on those others.

sorry my bad, it is 1966. The letter is L and number is 1 so first quarter of 66

IMG_4130.jpg

will be interesting to see which you will let go.. Never used a blackbird before, only a karve couple of times but not SS version. What do you like better out of the karve and timeless?

Top Bottom