What's new

Which Wolfman WR1 blade gap

Man you just don't get it... If James wanted or thought a website upgrade or design was in need it would be done but the current one has served him exceptionally well now for the past couple years so I'm guessing, again, its just not a priority for him!!

Business is great for James and it continues to get better each year it seems and I'm sure that is because of the tight knit network he has built in the past that continue daily to offer the best feedback for any Mfg'r and that in and of itself is priceless. That alone is better than any website design could ever be because I'm sure if he did invest in designing a website like "YOU" desire, you'd still find something wrong with it and continue to drag on about it!!

Now let's get this thread back on topic and leave all the web design for another thread, please!!

Pardon me for expressing my ideas, I sure i know something having had a business.

Apperenrly you think only your ideas are important, or good.

Going back to me, the OP, on the original question. As had been suggested I reached out to Wolfman since I got various answers in this thread. The .80 is the suggested WR1 gap to match the WR2 1.25 gap. This answer is from James.

Jane is the expert, his recommendation should be all you need.

How can .8 gap be equivalent to 1.25? Is it because it says Wolfman on both that people compare them? For me saying they are equivalent in any respect is like saying any two razors are equivalent. Is it just me being more math inclined with definitions? Similar feel, angle - ok, but equivalent or same :confused:

Whelp...
a .74 (cap + plate, only) showed-up on the BST this weekend,
so I succumbed to the kharma of it all. ;-)

Will report back how this WR1 .74 OC compares to my WR2 1.15 SB,
in a few days....

Ok - the WR1 has arrived, and I enjoyed a first shave with it this morning…

does it compare in efficiency and agression with the WR2 1.15? Id say yes - pretty close. It did seem a touch more comfortable/milder than the WR2, to me. I got a slightly less close shave with the WR1 on first use. Perhaps once I get a few more uses in, my results will improve. A .80 gap does not seem out of the question, either - for those who are considering this razor. I wouldnt go down to the .68, though. The .74 is really that nice and comfortable.

Used the WR1 with a handle “borrowed” from my WR2 - WRH-2 90mm solid. After trying this combo, I immediately hopped on the Wolfman website to get on the wait list for a WRH-1 *hollow* 90mm. I think this head will really shine with less weight in the handle. This head is very compact and nimble, in comparison to the WR2.
(I also stuck a WTB in the BST)

The big surprise for me, is just how fine and diminished the “teeth” on a Wolfman open comb really are. Compared to other OC’s Ive tried, the WR1 feels almost like a “scalloped” plate vs open comb. It is *really* comfortable. One thing, unique, is that since the teeth are so narrow/short/spaced tightly, it doesnt leave as much lather on the face after a pass, like other OC’s do.

Heres a pic of my three OC’s, for comparison:
FOCS - WR1 - Yates 921H (brass)

Ive also tried these OC’s:
Timeless 0.95 - harsh and too aggressive
Karve C, D, E - harsh and not comfortable
Blackbird (brass) - really pointy teeth, requires a very shallow angle for any comfort
(none agreed with me, although the SB Blackbird may be my all-time favorite razor)

The WR1 seems very refined, compared to most. I do still like the FOCS and Yates, though.

Last edited:
*stellar* shave with the WR1 .74 OC this am.

3-passes, but 2 would have probably sufficed. BBS with no touch-ups or buffing.
and no "drama" (nics, cuts, weepers, etc)
switched from Blue to Nacet my last blade change, and it seems to perform better.

This razor seems to work better on 3-4 days of growth vs only 2 (which is my normal routine)
Is that an open-comb thing? or a WR1 thing.... I wonder.

I'm with dtownvino... smaller gaps of the WR-1 are plenty efficient and have plenty of blade feel. If I were the OP, I would go with the 0.68 versus the 0.74. The 0.74 was a bit more blade feel than I prefer.

I also agree that the open comb on the Wolfman is quite smooth and comfortable. On the other hand, I enjoy the open comb on the Karve Christopher Bradley, too, which is a completely different design.

This has been posted by many on blade exposure of the WR1.

.86 = 0.25mm EFFICIENT
.80 = 0.17mm
.74 = 0.17mm
.67 = 0.10mm
.61 = 0.10mm ORIGINAL GAP
.54 = 0.10mm
.48 = 0.03mm MILD

I simply am happy in the .10mm exposure area. I have no issues getting a BBS from the .54 - but as we always say YMMV.

Top Bottom