What's new

Razors with similar geometry to the high-gapped Wolfman WR2?

I've been looking into getting a high-gapped Wolfman WR2 for a while now - specifically a 1.55. From what I can find on this site is that the gap/exposure combination is 1.55/0.4 mm and that seems quite unique.

I've been using a GreenCult 2.0 #4 (1.05 mm gap, 0.2 mm exposure) for daily shaves, but I've been using it with 5 blade shims. I've definitely simulated the gap of the 1.55 WR2 like this, but I don't think I'm up to the exposure of the 1.55 WR2 based on the chart here: Blade gap and exposure - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/blade-gap-and-exposure.636078/page-2

Through experiments with this razor's other plates, and the shimmed #4 plate, I'm kind of sold on razors with large gaps and exposure. If I shave steep with this setup, I get the most irritation free shaves as I've ever experienced.

What I'm curious about is if there's any other razors that come close in the gap/exposure parameters that a 1.55 WR2 would provide (excluding other WR2s...). I want to make sure I've done my research before I pull the trigger on one.

I don’t have a Wolfman so cannot compare on a like for like basis, but I respond to the higher gapped razors you like as you said. Stando razors from Poland are known for higher gaps with positive exposure. You might want to check those out. And then there is the recent cloning from DS Cosmetic and Yaqi which of course at least mimic the WRs exposure and gap.

Guido

Chinese Clones, DS Cosmetic and Yaqi is right.

Think Wolfman is unique because all choice in gap, medals, and handles.

Thing is with Chinese they are not busy inventing, their speciality is reverse engineering, and making clones.

Last edited:
I'm not against the Chinese clones of the Wolfman, but from the listings I've seen for them, they don't match the exposure the WR2 is reported to have. I suppose it's just not correct on AliExpress - anyone done a measurement? Appreciate the other suggestions as well.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
A Wolfman owner from Australia found the DSCosmetic AX razors feel to be closest to the Wolfman WR2.
However, he only had the Yaqi Sentinel 1.5 before with a SB - and that one is very different to the 1.5 from Yaqi with an OC, where the cap and geometry got slightly adjusted. The OC effectively has some more exposure!
I very much prefer the 1.5 OC, some others here the 1.5 SB. I think the 1.5 OC is shaving closer to intention, as it is quite a bit more efficient.
There is also a 3 plate (1.15, 1.35, 1.55) zamac edition of the AX from DSCosmetic.

Be advised that their steel AX / WR 2 clones reportedly cinch the blade a bit too tightly, so getting them out of the cap can be a hassle. The Titanium version apparently doesn't have that issue. Cannot comment on zamac, but some others here used them, best to ask in the Yaqi Sentinel thread.

As for other razors with high gap, but still manageable aggression: Well, you said it, quite unique.
One can dial up a Merkur Futur to an even larger gap, but it is an entirely different shaving experience.

There is also a rather mild Boti Shield WR2 clone, but I only got the 1.15 version which still topped the 1.5 Yaqi Sentinel SB due to significantly higher exposure. Till the 1.5 Sentinel OC came along and showed both how it is done.

TL;DR I think you might really, really like the Yaqi Sentinel 1.5 OC, too.

(p.s. if you are American and don't have to pay customs/VAT/taxes importing, maybe consider getting just the head, baseplate and cap, from Wolfman. That would be, well, the original.)

Last edited:
A Wolfman owner from Australia found the DSCosmetic AX razors feel to be closest to the Wolfman WR2.
However, he only had the Yaqi Sentinel 1.5 before with a SB - and that one is very different to the 1.5 from Yaqi with an OC, where the cap and geometry got slightly adjusted. The OC effectively has some more exposure!
I very much prefer the 1.5 OC, some others here the 1.5 SB. I think the 1.5 OC is shaving closer to intention, as it is quite a bit more efficient.
There is also a 3 plate (1.15, 1.35, 1.55) zamac edition of the AX from DSCosmetic.

Be advised that their steel AX / WR 2 clones reportedly cinch the blade a bit too tightly, so getting them out of the cap can be a hassle. The Titanium version apparently doesn't have that issue. Cannot comment on zamac, but some others here used them, best to ask in the Yaqi Sentinel thread.

As for other razors with high gap, but still manageable aggression: Well, you said it, quite unique.
One can dial up a Merkur Futur to an even larger gap, but it is an entirely different shaving experience.

There is also a rather mild Boti Shield WR2 clone, but I only got the 1.15 version which still topped the 1.5 Yaqi Sentinel SB due to significantly higher exposure. Till the 1.5 Sentinel OC came along and showed both how it is done.

(p.s. if you are American and don't have to pay customs/VAT/taxes importing, maybe consider getting just the head, baseplate and cap, from Wolfman. That would be, well, the original.)
I have the DSCosmetic Zamak AX package (scalloped cap, 3 plates), and there is no blade sticking inside the cap. I haven't heard if they have fixed that issue with their stainless models. I've never owned a Wolfman, but I like the DSCosmetic clone (see Yaqi Sentinel thread as above).

If you look at the link for the DScosmetic version, it says it has an exposure of 0.06 mm - maybe they're referring to the 1.15 version though? From the chart linked above, the equivalent WR2 at 1.15 has a 0.1 mm exposure.

I want to make sure I've done my research before I pull the trigger on one.
If you are interested in a wolfman, my advice is to take it, they are extraordinary razors...I speak for myself!
But from what I understand would you like to use the WR2 1.55 as a daily driver?! Makes no sense to me, you don't have enough beard to shave the next day
so save up and get an equivalent or clone

🤣

Thing is in time the Chinese in time will figure out what Gap is popular, make their close so close to original they will capture large percentage of sales.

I am sure the Chinese are reading everything they can from Reviews, to Forum to gather information to help them make more money.

The Chinese only pay some attention to one thing to discourage them copy or ripping off you idea. A Chinese Patent, as some smart inventor do also get a Chinese Pate nt to protect they idea. Copy Kating a Chinese Patented item is a big deal in China.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune

@Iridian , do you have the first edition Yaqi Sentinels? I got a couple of the second edition ones and I gave away the 1.5SB because the shave was so horrible. I still have the 1.5OC because no one claimed it as a give away with that razor sale I had a while back on BST. I been to afraid to try it....

If you are interested in a wolfman, my advice is to take it, they are extraordinary razors...I speak for myself!
But from what I understand would you like to use the WR2 1.55 as a daily driver?! Makes no sense to me, you don't have enough beard to shave the next day
so save up and get an equivalent or clone

🤣
I am currently inclined to go with the Wolfman over others. Was just seeing what else was out there that I might be missing.

As far as using the 1.55 WR2 as a daily driver being too much - I do use a GreenCult 2.0 lvl 4 with 5 blade shims every day. That has a gap of 1.55 and an exposure close to ~0.3 mm from a measurement I did which is quite close to the 1.55 WR2 specs. I have plenty to shave the next day using that. The shave does last a bit longer than with other razors that don't have as much exposure but not that much. Maybe a couple of hours more. I often see people post that "there isn't enough to shave the next day" if you use a XYZ razor... but really - there's a limit to how much a certain geometry can reach "under your skin" to cut your hair. I think the more aggressive geometries have the most noticeable effect right after a shave - as in, how smooth you are for a short time after you shave.

but really - there's a limit to how much a certain geometry can reach "under your skin" to cut your hair. I think the more aggressive geometries have the most noticeable effect right after a shave - as in, how smooth you are for a short time after you shave.
It depends on your skin type and the speed of regrowth, we are not all the same
Then there are few people who manage to shave so deeply WTG and ATG every day with a 1.55,in fact it makes no sense
try shaving with 1.55 for 7 days in a row, WTG and ATG,1.55 can be daily if you only do WTG and at most WTG and XTG

I am currently inclined to go with the Wolfman over others. Was just seeing what else was out there that I might be missing.

As far as using the 1.55 WR2 as a daily driver being too much - I do use a GreenCult 2.0 lvl 4 with 5 blade shims every day. That has a gap of 1.55 and an exposure close to ~0.3 mm from a measurement I did which is quite close to the 1.55 WR2 specs. I have plenty to shave the next day using that. The shave does last a bit longer than with other razors that don't have as much exposure but not that much. Maybe a couple of hours more. I often see people post that "there isn't enough to shave the next day" if you use a XYZ razor... but really - there's a limit to how much a certain geometry can reach "under your skin" to cut your hair. I think the more aggressive geometries have the most noticeable effect right after a shave - as in, how smooth you are for a short time after you shave.
A WR2 1.35 or a BBird could be right for you,if you want to use it as daily, then it all depends on your preferences
it remains my personal opinion

@Iridian , do you have the first edition Yaqi Sentinels? I got a couple of the second edition ones and I gave away the 1.5SB because the shave was so horrible. I still have the 1.5OC because no one claimed it as a give away with that razor sale I had a while back on BST. I been to afraid to try it....
In my usage, I found the OC much smoother compared to the SB. BUT I like aggressive/efficient razors. The SB seemed to be problematic with WTG (of all things) if your whiskers are longer. I didn't have the same issue with the OC.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
My Yaqi 1.5 SB is on the very mild side, the 1.5 OC not, with a different cap. So I would say the SB is first gen and the OC something else.

P.S. sorry, I had so many alerts yesterday, I missed your question!

So I would take from that observation that while the clones look like the WR2 and mimic the gap, the exposure is quite different? I feel like that could be plausible - in order to get the exposure the WR2 has, the top cap would need to be rather thin near the blade clamping edge, right? Perhaps the clones aren't machined that carefully and the edge of the cap is quite a bit thicker.

My Yaqi 1.5 SB is on the very mild side, the 1.5 OC not, with a different cap. So I would say the SB is first gen and the OC something else.

P.S. sorry, I had so many alerts yesterday, I missed your question!
From the reviews and opinions I've read, perhaps only Sentinel 1.5 OC might interest me

Iridian

Cool and slimy
@RJB42 there are Yaqi, DSCosmetic, Boti and all that in comparison to the trail deal Wolfman. Not many if anyone here might have all four types. Add the changes to the Yaqi head for the OC to that list, and it becomes a guessing game with a damn lot of guesswork.

I would recommend the Yaqi 1.5 OC or... just an original Wolfman head only as cost effective approach. Timeless Ti Crown handles fit it nicely, as the do almost anything else as well.

I would recommend the Yaqi 1.5 OC or... just an original Wolfman head only as cost effective approach. Timeless Ti Crown handles fit it nicely, as the do almost anything else as well.
Yeah, I had considered just getting the head as $150 for a handle seems kind of steep given that I actually quite like my razorock handle I have on my GreenCult and it's 10x cheaper. The only consideration for getting the handle from Wolfman in addition was if for some reason the razor didn't really work for me... I feel like it might be a bit easier to sell if it's complete with a handle.

Top Bottom