What's new

Wish me luck, please.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I was told recently by my cardiologist that I need to go on disability. I'm sitting here feeling sorry for myself and trying to start writing my letter of resignation to my company. This has been my happiest place of employment. I have been blessed for many years to do many types of nursing, but being a community psych nurse has been the most personally fulfilling. Hardest letter I have ever had to write. Having been born with some disabilities, I've been on both sides of the bed rails, and had more than a few surgeries performed on me, but the rehab I am facing from being a working person sickens me. Wish me luck, lads.

Wishing you the best if luck. I can’t imagine what you are going through.

Being on the vendor side of healthcare, I know first hand that it takes a special type of person to be a psych nurse.

Good luck! Often a guy defines his identity by his job, remember that you are not your job but who you are in the inside. Anyone with the heart to do what you have done will find a way to be a blessing to others in some other way.

Good things happen to good people!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I hate to say this, but in most cases, even with all the doctor’s notes in the world, if you file for disability it will be two years before you get it. You file, they deny. You can file again a year later, they will deny. Then you are allowed to get an attorney and appear before a judge. In 15 minutes they will finally accept your claim. I hope you can hold on that long. I almost went broke while my wife went through the process. They try like heck to starve you out.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Best wishes from another guy who had a life changing health surprise.

I did 25 years in heavy engineering, and now some days I can't stand upright, string a sentence together, or load a brush, let alone shave. I've been through a similar battle that @oc_in_fw described, and am currently waiting for my court date.

It was a huge shock to the system, going from someone who could tug on tommy bars to tighten a 36" chuck, swing axes, ride a mountain bike, hike 20 miles, and be approached by multinational companies for production advice, to someone for whom cooking a meal or going shopping is a major achievement. I'm 45 years old.

You adapt.

I'm considering each day as an adventure. Some days I win, some days I lose. When I lose, I know I can try again tomorrow, or the next day, or the day after that. I'm trying to write a couple of books. Not easy with neurological challenges, but you do what you can, when you can. Life changes, but it doesn't stop, not yet.

Sometimes I daren't pick up a safety razor, but I'm also learning to hone and shave with a straight. Once or twice a month, I might feel like my old self and go for a walk. It takes a long time, and I walk with a stick, but last month I did 7.5 miles in a day, about 10 months ago, I did over 15 miles. Some days I can't get 6ft from my front door. Every time I do leave the house, I need my phone with full charge and some emergency taxi money, as my health can plummet at any moment. One day I didn't, and it took me just under 2 hours to walk a mile to get back home. It was just another adventure, that adventure was t stay focussed, stay alive (don't fall into the path of traffic), and get home in one piece. It took a while, but I won.

The trick is focus on what you can do, not what you can't, no matter how small that might seem. Lots of small victories are more rewarding that one big one, if the big one lays you up for a few days after. It does take a while to adapt mentally, but it's not insurmountable.

Good luck. Keep your chin up, and start focussing on the new chapter ahead, not the one you've just finished.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Good luck, as mentioned before your health comes first. You have this community behind you. Even from far away.

Legion

Staff member
Sorry to hear that. As much as you don't want to step back, look after your health. A career takes second place to health.

Best of luck for the future.

Good luck . Take care of yourself, so you can continue to take care of others even if not as a profession.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Good luck and keep us posted
hopefully you wont find the similar disability disaster others have mentioned. If its work related you may want to investigate work comp

I hope everything goes well and they dont delay on you disability assistance, I am 30 and I have decent health, but I would like to thank you and thank anyone who suffers like this but pulls thru, makes me do a self examination and not complain when things get tough, you guys make me realize it can be worse and if you guys can do it despite the obstacles, why can’t I? Thanks for the inspiration and I hope, when I get there, because I will, I can be as tough as you guys.

Good luck! Often a guy defines his identity by his job, remember that you are not your job but who you are in the inside. Anyone with the heart to do what you have done will find a way to be a blessing to others in some other way.

Good things happen to good people!

I do not believe in luck, because that implies that things happen by chance. I believe that all things in our lives happen for a purpose. It may be a while before you understand the purpose. Although you might not be able to continue to work your current job, you still have skills that can be used to help others. Don't give up on life, but reinvent your life by looking for ways you can use your skills to help others.

When one door closes another opens.

Look on the positive side and you will find opportunities that did not exist before.

Best of luck in your new adventure.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Thank you, all. Perhaps luck was the wrong choice for a word, as I've been told it's root is from "Lucifer".... Blessed is truly how I feel most times. I've had enough death sentences and pardons to make a career criminal blush. Maybe my next chapter will involve writing a book, with me as it's only reader.... of course, we all have stories to tell.... My working life began as a Cosmetologist at 17, and finishing as a community psych nurse at 56 has given me some amusing and tragic life lessons to jot down. On to the first chapter!

Top Bottom