What's new

Quest for less technology...beyond shaving

I sometimes wonder what would happen to society if there was a massive EMP from any one of several possible sources. Do you think society would collapse when only about 5% of electronic devices continued to work or would people pull themselves up by their bootstraps and keep on living? I use and enjoy many modern appliances/gizmo’s/gadgets but I have, and know how to use, appliances/gizmo’s/gadgets that don’t use electricity.
Mass chaos would ensue. People do not realize how dependent we are on electricity. Imagine all communication, most vehicles, most electronics stop working. Electric grid down. It would be down for an extensive period weeks, months maybe even years. Even such a seemingly simple task as starting up the grid from being down is not a trivial task. I think we have a hard time understanding what it would be like. Performing simple tasks would be much more difficult. Just take as simple of a thing as making your coffee. If you are lucky you have some propane, otherwise it is wood burning stove or open fire. I am shuddering just thinking about no coffee.

Legion

Staff member
Mass chaos would ensue. People do not realize how dependent we are on electricity. Imagine all communication, most vehicles, most electronics stop working. Electric grid down. It would be down for an extensive period weeks, months maybe even years. Even such a seemingly simple task as starting up the grid from being down is not a trivial task. I think we have a hard time understanding what it would be like. Performing simple tasks would be much more difficult. Just take as simple of a thing as making your coffee. If you are lucky you have some propane, otherwise it is wood burning stove or open fire. I am shuddering just thinking about no coffee.
My oven/ stove top broke, and it was a couple of months trying to get someone to fix it before I gave up and replaced it.

I made coffee every morning with a moka pot on a camp alcohol stove on my back deck. It wasn't so bad.

My oven/ stove top broke, and it was a couple of months trying to get someone to fix it before I gave up and replaced it.

I made coffee every morning with a moka pot on a camp alcohol stove on my back deck. It wasn't so bad.
That just highlights the need for preparedness in lieu of the possibility of no coffee!😁

Joke aside. It would be horrible. No food deliveries to stores etc. It is something we are utterly non-ready for.

I have mostly unplugged my woodshop, except for the occasional band saw, drill press, or table saw IMG_20220311_192628735.jpg

None of these tools require electricity and if properly cared for my grandchildren will be using them in 70-80 years.

I also have my great great grandmother's treadle sewing machineIMG_20210713_163404252.jpg
IMG_20210713_165654026.jpg
Still works by the way

I have been trying to find durable things, as I'm sick of disposable crap we have to buy over and over and over again. At least in my experience, the most durable things are simple things, and simple things are usually low tech. But because they are low tech they require effort. But that effort pays off, at least for me.

I also have an antique laundry wringer, oil lamps, cast iron cookware, straight razors, hand tools, etc etc.

Top Bottom