What's new

Wisdom Gained

Things I have learned along the way in nearly 3 years of DE Safety Razor shaving.

1. Hold on loosely and don’t let go. If you’re coming over from swivel headed razors (Track 3 and the like), you’re going to have to learn how to not grip the razor handle so firmly. With the swivel heads and cheap plastic handles, you actually have to apply pressure to get the razors to work right. With DE shavers, you absolutely have to learn how to hold the razor loosely in your fingers and let the razor swivel and follow the contours of your face. If you don’t learn that, you won’t get the most out of the razor and you will learn how to use a styptic pencil.

2. Learn what a styptic pencil is and how to use it.

3. Technique far outweighs what razor/blade combo you’re using. You can have the “best” razor available and the sharpest blades installed (let’s just face it…that’s a Feather Hi-Stainless) and still not get a great (BBS) shave if your not skilled at shaving technique. Conversely, you can be using a cheapie razor (like a Weishi) and an average blade and get a fantastic shave thanks to technique learned over time.

4. DE Shaving is learned through trial and error. The errors often require above mentioned styptic pencil or an alum block.

5. Unless you genuinely have an interest in building a collection of every razor available, don’t buy multiple razors at first. Check the B&B site for recommendations for affordable and effective razors. Buy one and learn with that one. It’s far too tempting to jump on the “current popular oldie” and then not learn how to use that one razor to your best ability. This can discourage newbies when their new technique is set back by a new razor that might require a different angle of attack to be effective.

6. DO NOT BUY A BLADE SAMPLE PACK WHEN YOU FIRST START. Several reasons for this. One, if your pack includes Feathers, you will regret bad technique. Two, you won’t really find the optimum blade for you with your technique still at newb level. Three, a bad experience with a good blade can leave a bad impression due to your technique being insufficient. You could probably go back to that “bad blade” after a couple years and find out they’re actually quite good.

7. Pick a popular “average” blade to begin with and master that blade with your one razor. This will ensure that you’re results will be due to your technique and not the variables created by a different blade in a different razor AND your technique. That’s a very elusive moving target for a beginner to try and track down what needs improvement. Astra Platinum SP, Persona Blue Labs, Derby blades are all good blades for very good prices. $10-$12 per 100 blades is common online. You don’t have to buy 100, but for that money, why not? Use the same blades for a LEAST 6 months before you start experimenting. That gives you time to evaluate every shave and what was good and bad each time with no variables other than you and your technique.

8. In spite of what “purists” might preach, not all canned lather is “full of chemicals that will dry your skin.” On mornings when you just don’t have a lot of time, it’s a pretty good idea to keep a can of Barbasol around.

9. Even though it’s good to keep a can of cheap Barbasol around, brush/soap lathering tends to better prepare your whiskers due to the time it takes to get the lather worked up on your face. More than likely, you’ll get a more comfortable shave with the brush/soap approach.

10. If DE shavers scare you…don’t even consider straight razors. That’s a whole other hornet’s nest.

11. Just because a shaving “cream” or “soap” is in a tube doesn’t mean it can’t be really, really good. Proraso and others come in tubes and lather beautifully with a wet brush. Cremo products are incredibly slick and comfortable. Even some that come in tubs and feel like cold cream work very well. And some of the “butters” are also quite good products.

12. I don’t have any advice/learned-knowledge on brushes because I’ve been very happy with the $20 badger-haired brush I got online and haven’t felt the need to go any further. I used a boar brush years ago and thought that it too was good for that time, but I do think that the badger hair is the better way to go and there are some very affordable ones online.

I’ll update if/when I think of anything. :)

Already thought of something additional: Store brand DE blades can be very good...or very bad. If the blades are from Israel, they're Personna "IP Reds" and are excellent. If they're from Korea, crap shoot...if they're platinum coated, likely OK, but if not...likely not so good. If from Vietnam...they will suck worse than the best Dyson you can buy.

I can see a lot of similarity in my 3 year of experience under DE shaving.

It's comparable to riding a bike or flying a plane. No matter how much your read and how much wisdoms others tried to share, you have to just "do it".

I used generic store blades for years not knowing better and thinking that bleeding and misery were part of the DE shaving protocol. I used DE because it was cheap. Then earlier this year I discovered this website and ordered some Astra SPs. THANK the LORD best thing ever. Shaving now is no longer a face-raking experience.

Good blades are critical.

Great list of things learned. The only area we really differ on is variety packs of blades. I found them to be an excellent way to start. However, everyone is unique and what works for me may not work for others. Great post.

Sent via mobile

I used generic store blades for years not knowing better and thinking that bleeding and misery were part of the DE shaving protocol. I used DE because it was cheap. Then earlier this year I discovered this website and ordered some Astra SPs. THANK the LORD best thing ever. Shaving now is no longer a face-raking experience.

I agree that good blades are critical...but WAY after technique is achieved. I would hate to think that you were using Korean stainless (not platinum coated) or Viet sourced blades all this time. Excellent blades have been out there like you've discovered.

Great list of things learned. The only area we really differ on is variety packs of blades. I found them to be an excellent way to start. However, everyone is unique and what works for me may not work for others. Great post.

Sent via mobile
YMMV is probably THE most truism on the B&B site.

Astra's are really great value blades. Made in a Gillette owned factory in Russia. It's my regular "daily" blade for my EJ Kelvin razor (though I recommend not buying a lot of razors early on...I bought 6) and in my Merkur 33C "classic DE razor." The Kelvin and the 34HD Merkur are very competitive in shave and face time for me...but for the Merkur, Feathers give me the closest shave and with the EJ, the Astras. Has something to do with blade exposure. In the EJ, the Feathers are too aggressive to me. Lessons learned along the way.

Great advice, especially about the blades. Buy yourself 50/100 Astras or Sharks or Personnas and just leave. It. ALONE!

If I had one piece of wisdom: Never, EVER, shave against the grain on your upper lip.

Just go across one way, then back across the oppo direction. Maybe a little buffing where your lip meets your nose, but just don't go ATG up there.

Proof of the good old ymmv concept.
I started on Feather blades.
4 razors, (all showed up the same day) and now have 8, including a straight.
Many different blades. Most I haven't used because the Feather and Kai just work. No irritation.

I'm working on the one pass wonder shave. Not there yet, but I believe it's possible.

I like the idea of using a middle of the road blade for first use of an unknown razor. Just used a GSB in a new 1937 Sheraton.

In some of this, I was just lucky. I've read enough posts with people struggling with de shaving to appreciate how fortunate I was. Some of that fortune came from study. Some was luck.

I'll only disagree with #8 up there. It's not that I have anything against canned goo, it's simply that I figured out that just rubbing soap on my face took less time and a better shave than canned goo when I was in a hurry.

I do believe in sample packs of blades, even for people starting out. I'm against multiple _razors_ for a first person. Pick one decent one and learn how it works with the blades. Then worry about finding the perfect razor/blade combination. But then again, it's a personal choice.\

There's nothing not to like in your post, but I'm especially in tune with you on blades and Barbasol. I see way too many folks embarking on a snipe hunt for the One True Blade that rules all others - it just doesn't exist. Post a topic on a blade you think is wonderful and ten guys will reply with a story about how terrible they think your blade is. Trying one blade after another is not a good way to settle into DE shaving. I moved to 90% SE shaving in part because of the small field of good blades to choose from.

I think Barbasol Skin Conditioner (yellow can) is a great product. I pair a can of this with a Con-Air hot lather cap when I need to move ultra fast in the morning, applying the lather with a brush. Good stuff.

I'm fully on board with item #1, except ... I'm the kind of person that has developed a habit of using a very firm grip and bearing down with what ever I'm using. This is going to take a conscientious effort on my part to break because I know it's necessary if I don't want nicks and weepers all over my face.

YMMV is probably THE most truism on the B&B site.
Very true. However, you, and some of the other comments here, have me reconsidering the idea of a variety pack for beginners. In fact, I think you are right. I probably would have been better off staying with one blade for the first few weeks. It was too temping to try each blade from the variety pack, although I did stick to one razor.

Sent via mobile

Top Bottom