What's new

Wisdom Gained

Things I have learned along the way in nearly 3 years of DE Safety Razor shaving.

6. DO NOT BUY A BLADE SAMPLE PACK WHEN YOU FIRST START. Several reasons for this. One, if your pack includes Feathers, you will regret bad technique. Two, you won’t really find the optimum blade for you with your technique still at newb level. Three, a bad experience with a good blade can leave a bad impression due to your technique being insufficient. You could probably go back to that “bad blade” after a couple years and find out they’re actually quite good.

7. Pick a popular “average” blade to begin with and master that blade with your one razor.

Very true. However, you, and some of the other comments here, have me reconsidering the idea of a variety pack for beginners. In fact, I think you are right. I probably would have been better off staying with one blade for the first few weeks. It was too temping to try each blade from the variety pack, although I did stick to one razor.
:)
This is excellent "practical" advice,@TexanTom, and it makes so much sense because technique is absolutely critical to being successful with a DE razor. ... EXCEPT ... I have to agree with @Lightcs1776 that it's way too tempting. Having been restricted to 1 (Gillette brand) or 2 (dollar club or store brand) cartridge choices based on your razor handle for as long as I can remember, the amazing array of choices were just too tempting to not try as many as I could. Same with soaps.

Great advice, especially about the blades. Buy yourself 50/100 Astras or Sharks or Personnas and just leave. It. ALONE!

If I had one piece of wisdom: Never, EVER, shave against the grain on your upper lip.

Just go across one way, then back across the oppo direction. Maybe a little buffing where your lip meets your nose, but just don't go ATG up there.

I can agree to a point about the ATG advice because I have a pretty good scar on the edge of my upper lip where I started too low and took off the edge of my upper lip and bled like a (insert your worst bleeding euphemism here) and spent about 30m with the styptic pencil trying to stop the mayhem.

My advice on that one is that if you REALLY feel like you need to go against the grain, curl your lip under as hard as you can and go slow. I do go ATG. Sideways just doesn't "cut it" for me.

I'm fully on board with item #1, except ... I'm the kind of person that has developed a habit of using a very firm grip and bearing down with what ever I'm using. This is going to take a conscientious effort on my part to break because I know it's necessary if I don't want nicks and weepers all over my face.
I see you've just joined the site. Yep, that firm grip will give you some excellent cuts with most blade and most definitely with blades like Feather and Kai blades. With the Trac 3 and up and pretty much most disposables now with swiveling blades, you have to hold it firm and press down.

With DE shaving, it's vital to learn a loose grip in your finger tips and if you need to apply extra pressure (for me it's in the area where the neck and under-chin converge) It's simply squeezing the finger tips together a little more tightly and not changing my grip to add more fingers and pressure. I keep three fingers (two fingers and the thumb) only on the razor's handle. Work on that and you'll start to need fewer transfusions. :)

This will be #14...I "thought of something else" right after posting, so that's 13.

14. To get as close as you can under your nose, make sure you square your razor against each nostril and have it straddle both sides as to not enter it at all. Push up gently against the nose and THEN pull down on the upper lip. Do this twice and you're most likely done. If you don't do your mustache/nose area like this, you stand a real good chance of catching your nose and again learning what a styptic pencil is for.

Greate write-up and a fascinating read, thanks!

Being a newbie myself to DE's I am very much in tune with almost all of your pointers. And very much so with your no. 6 on blades. I got the obligatory blade pack and started head-on with Feathers. And they worked great, so I now have a whole stack of different blades I don't use. Only tried Wilkinsons a couple of times and really didn't like them. Even in new acquisitions I always start with a Feather, this way the blade variable is always zero and I can focus on the new razor's caracteristics.

Only point of yours I may slightly disagree with is around getting more razors in the beginning. I only shaved about 2 weeks with the same razor before I couldn't hold back and started hoarding more. And that has worked very well for me :thumbup:. However as I had wet shaved with carts for 30 years by the time I started DE's I probably was helped by having most other variables right even when starting out.

If you are totally new to wet shaving I will side with you to only use one razor. But then I would strongly suggest to get a vintage adjustable as your first - so you can play around with different settings and find your preferred level without having to buy yet another razor.

Only things I would add to yours and others' great pointers is a personal learning of mine when first starting on DE razors. Get a mild razor as your first, so you won't be scared away! - And if you really want to succeed and have the option to prioritize a more expensive first razor I say go all-in. Don't start out as cheap as possible 'in case you won't like it'. I started with a cheap 34C and hated it. But rather than quit I took a calculated risk and bought the highly recommended AS-D2. And I honestly believe that having a high-end (and mild!) razor helped me grasp and fall in love with the DE process a lot quicker.

Get a vintage adjustable (YMMV!) - or find yourself a really nice post-war Tech. And get one in perfect condition so that you'll enjoy both using and looking at it for years to come :001_wub:

As for other variables my 2 cents are:
ad 11) Yes agree! - Tubed products can be absolutely excellent: Proraso, Musgo Real, Speick, just to name a few.
ad 12) I'd suggest to buy a cheap brush - I used the cheapest synthetic brush for 30 yrs of cart wet shaving and it worked wonders.

And then +1 to this advice from another honorable member :thumbup1:

If I had one piece of wisdom: Never, EVER, shave against the grain on your upper lip

Last edited:
14: Top five most important things for getting the best shave experience:

1. Technique
2. Technique
3. Technique
4. Technique
5. (tie) Razor, Blade.

I shave against the grain on my upper lip all the time and have no problem. I usually use a quality brush and soap, however frequently use Barbasol. Calling it canned goo is a disservice to the product as it's the number 1 shaving cream in the world for a reason. Calling Weishi a cheapie razor is also a disservice to a value priced quality product that is well made and a great value. Their factory rivals anything Gillette ever had.
My father worked for Gillette in product development and I was a contributing editor for the Gillette newsletter and I can say without reservation that some of the advice on the forum is patently wrong. Using no pressure is absurd. One should use whatever pressure is comfortable for the individual. Also shaving at a slighter shallow angle will provide a closer shave. Gillette recommended a steeper angle with no pressure as a marketing ploy because the greater angle and no pressure would only work well for a few shaves per blade causing the shaver to change to a new blade. This advice was intentional to create blade sales. Everyone working at Gillette knew the advice was nonsense, but it did in fact generate blade sales, and even today it is still given as good advice by those who simply repeat it like a parrot not knowing it was simply a marketing concept.

Good advice! Of course, I must quibble with the inclusion of Derby blades, a product I cannot recommend based on personal experience. Astra SP is a better choice. IMO.

I would also suggest newbies start with a 19-22mm brush. Not too big, not too small.

"Calling Weishi a cheapie razor is also a disservice"

No disrespect was intended at all. The use of "cheapie" was based on the price compared to some of the other razors currently available. They are affordable, readily available at a LOT of stores under their name and various others and are mild and effective. And the price really does not reflect the quality of their build. Most people could have one for their whole life and never buy another...but there ARE reviews out there of some quality problems from time to time. I've had one and PIF'd it to a brother of mine looking to cut costs on shaving.

Good advice! Of course, I must quibble with the inclusion of Derby blades, a product I cannot recommend based on personal experience. Astra SP is a better choice. IMO.

I would also suggest newbies start with a 19-22mm brush. Not too big, not too small.

Good advice on the brushes indeed. On the Derby blades, I got a 5-pack with my EJ Kelvin and thought they were smooth and serviceable...but certainly not up to the level of the Astras.

I shave against the grain on my upper lip all the time and have no problem.

There is no other way to shave any part of your face if you want a BBS shave anyhow so why you shouldn't do it on your upper lip really puzzles me too...

I usually use a quality brush and soap, however frequently use Barbasol. Calling it canned goo is a disservice to the product as it's the number 1 shaving cream in the world for a reason.

I ONLY use "canned goo" with my DE since 1980,works just as good as any "traditional'' (canned foam has been with us since 1949 so it is also traditional in a way) method of lubrication.

MILLIONS of men (after 1955 more than 70%) shaved with canned foam and DE razors from 1950 until the mid 70s when cartridge and disposable razors became the norm and NOBODY complained about their "performance" ...in fact the ONLY place I see those complains are in ..shaving forums :001_rolle

Canned "goo" is SOAP ,another TYPE of soap that,when used PROPERLY,is 100% just as good and "performs" just as well as any other type of shaving lubrication....

I've always been pretty negative on the canned gels, which I always assumed what anyone was referring to as the "canned goo". I can't honestly recall if or when the last time I used a Barbasol foam, tho. Now I'm tempted to grab a small travel can of it and see what I think of it.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I used canned foal and gels for the first 20+ years of wet shaving, of which 15 or so was with DE. It's only fairly recently that I got into solid soap. Mitchells and Palmolive are my preference, but gels and foam do work.

I have many soaps of different flavors and enjoy using them with a quality brush. I do however, must say that Barbasol is just as good as any of them. I think the main difference, is that with a brush we work up a lather which provides additional moisture to the whiskers which can result in a better shave.

I have many soaps of different flavors and enjoy using them with a quality brush. I do however, must say that Barbasol is just as good as any of them. I think the main difference, is that with a brush we work up a lather which provides additional moisture to the whiskers which can result in a better shave.

Agree completely that the use of the brush and the TIME it takes to work it further softens the whiskers leading to a better and more comfortable shave. +1

Top Bottom