What's new

Will G's Shea Glycerin shaving soap (& Aftershave lotion)...

Wills email address is [email protected]
A suggestion - due to their low cost, you might want to give it a try sooner than later. After speaking with this fellow a bit via email, it seems as though he has a "real job" and this is more of a hobby for him.... so once the masses get hold of this stuff and figure out just how fantastic it is, I think the demand will vastly exceed the supply.

joel said:
Wills email address is [email protected]
A suggestion - due to their low cost, you might want to give it a try sooner than later. After speaking with this fellow a bit via email, it seems as though he has a "real job" and this is more of a hobby for him.... so once the masses get hold of this stuff and figure out just how fantastic it is, I think the demand will vastly exceed the supply.

I already demanded...not just waiting on him to supplyl!

Randy

atnight said:
As a noob (to the wetshaving) I have had many items queued up long before the NB. I'm pretty satisfied with my skin care rotation, and mainly going after shaving products. Also, I feel it could detract from chances as an eligible bachelor when I have the occasional lady caller. :wink:

See, Bill - that's the difference. As a married guy with two little boys - I have no chance, anyway!! :bored:

Of course - I'm eagerly awaiting my soaps (and A/S, and bowl:blushing: ) from Will...

What I was wondering: how does this soap stack up to the T&H soap (in a wooden bowl)?

I know that Joel has used both - I haven't and was wondering the differences.

Joel?? Anyone?

My recommendation when you get the bowl; remove the soap and wash the bowl with dishwash detergent. Dry and let air out. Otherwise the bowl smells like cigarette smoke - actualy like a dirty ashtray, at least mine did. It still has a little stank to it but way less than before, quite objectionable- great looking bowl though. I wonder if it's the material ?

Cliff said:
My recommendation when you get the bowl; remove the soap and wash the bowl with dishwash detergent. Dry and let air out. Otherwise the bowl smells like cigarette smoke - actualy like a dirty ashtray, at least mine did. It still has a little stank to it but way less than before, quite objectionable- great looking bowl though. I wonder if it's the material ?

Wonder what a light bleach rinse would do, like a 10% solution.

Randy

Gents,
If you bought the fossil stone bowls, they usually come from the Phillipine Archipeligo. No telling what they could smell from. Could be the grinding or lapping paste.. We have a sofa table and a coffee table trimmed with this interesting material, brass, and mirror (float) glass. Nice stuff, be careful how you treat it..

So I received my Will G. package today.

2 soaps- shea in #37 fragrance and emerald in peppermint fragrance, both with matching A/S balms.

Both smells seem strong in the soaps and the aftershave balms. I had a bad shave earlier today and still have some raw skin on the neck area, so this evening i applied some of the #37 ASB. I have to say initially this fragance does not agree with me, and the balm stung at first, but seconds later there was a pleasant cooling effect. It moisturizes somewhat too. But back to the smell- a sort of creamy, citrus musk with considerable staying power, that either recalls a cheap A/S, a candle, or a kitchen/bathroom cleaning product- I can't decide which. I may be able to handle this as a soap but couldn't smell it on my skin all day. Usually when the description is 'citrus', I've found it's difficult to go wrong. In this case, it was I who was wrong. However, I think Joel mentioned he liked it. To each his own.

The peppermint a/s is a sweet peppermint scent that I find agreeable. Fairly simple. Probably a keeper. If I find anything different than Joel found upon trying the soaps, I'll post it. My only regret is the lauded shea soap is also in #37 too. I can't wait til the internet can transmit smells so I won't get bitten too often by my curiousity.:wink:

Got my package from Will G. today as well (God help me when the Mastercard bill arrives this month - but I digress).

The fossilized soap bowl is the coolest thing I've ever seen! Glass smooth, and substantially heavy! I don't have any of the odor issues that Cliff had, though. I noticed that www.leesrazors.com is selling the same bowl (sans soap) for about a dollar more - just FYI.

The soap seems very dense and moisturizing. Today, I did the Methodshaving thing - but tomorrow... MUUAAHAHA it's full-on SHEA soap bliss.:thumbup:

I have to echo Bill's (Atnight's) comments on the #37 scent. I don't find it terrible or anything; but it really does remind me of a candle scent (my wife and I burn lots of those). The e-Bay ad said that it was the same genre as Bay Rum. We'll see when I lather it up - but I don't smell that at this point. I also tried a bit of the A/S balm and it does seem to soak in and work very well. It also really covered up the EDP I'm wearing...:sad:

Ah well, variety is the spice of life. Who says you can't "layer" totally different fragrances, eh? :ihih: It reminds me of that line in the move Anchorman: the Legend of Ron Burgundy: "What smells like a turd covered in burnt hair?!" LOL - nowhere near that bad - I just KNOW that SWMBO will say I'm a little "strong" today. We'll see how it is after the "dry-down."

I have to say - shaved with the Will G. SHEA butter soap this morning (in the fancy fossilized marble bowl).

The soap did lather rather differently (like Joel mentioned). However, it was thick and slippery and moisturizing as heck! Oddly enough - the biggest "gripe" was with how the soap cake fits into the shaving bowl. If you put the cake in right side up (top wider than bottom), the lid won't fit on the bowl. If you put the cake in upside down; the lid fits just fine but all the lather hides around the edge of the soap cake. Not the end of the world - but since I was using a big Shavemac brush (XXL) it did get annoying. I ended up playing soap cake hockey more than lathering. Like Joel mentioned - it WILL NOT dry out on your face, either. This would be an excellent soap for use with a straight razor and I intend to put it to the test soon.

I wonder if I can melt this stuff...?

The #37 scent smells quite citrusy (very much orange, to my nose). It does NOT have very long staying power on me, though - so no big deal. I really do want to try the peppermint just for the aromatic "rush." My face was VERY soft afterward (to the point were my barber even commented on it again).

All in all - for $8.95 - you get a helluva nice combo that paired with a cheap brush and a latte mug would be an AWESOME gift for a fellow shaver. Another great soap to add to my rotation of like, 8 or so (I'm losing count).:001_tt1:

I've been using the shea soap for the last two weeks, comparing it to the Tabac, Floris and T&H soaps in my rotation. The results have been great. Lubricity is super, the lathering process is a bit "non linear" but the shaving closeness has been excellent. I believe this soap requires more water than average.

Without regard to price, it is a top performer.

I still don't like the #37 scent, but I can tolerate in the soap vs. the aftershave as it's a little less intense. I'd like to echo that the shea soap leaves the brush more like a cream than soap. It's light, but 'buttery', if you excuse the term/pun. Today's shave with this soap brought me out of the shaving doghouse that started a few days back with the T&H maximum discomfort cream. My shave today wasn't entirely irritation free, but mostly, and the sides of my face look like sheets of glass.
As soon as I'm done with this #37, I won't get this scent again, but look forward to trying the shea in Ginger Lime, or just plain old lime. The emerald soap is excellent too for a glycerin cake- see my remarks in the other thread!

I have Will G's sandalwood scent soap but it doesn't smell like sandalwood. Has anyone else encountered this?

Oops.... the scent I have MEANT to rave about is the #7 - not #37.... DOH!!! Don't get me wrong - I like the #37 - but in my opinion the #7 is just amazing!

Did anyone ever find out a way (if there is one) to melt the shea butter soaps? Trying to get mine to sit still in the bottom of my mug is tough! Do you put in narrow width down or wide width down ...??

Tom

I just received my Will G's shea butter #7 today. I have yet to try it, but it smells great. I was able to melt it into a gladware disposable container. These seem to be perfect for holding soaps. I pushed the soap as far into the bowl as I could, then put it in the microwave for 10 seconds. Pushed it in a little more, then more nuking. After a couple of times, it liquified completely. Then I stuck it in the freezer for about 5 minutes. Does anyone know if this is bad for the soap?

Here's how it looks in the gladware. BTW I was able to peel the sticker off the celophane wrapper and stick it to the bowl.
attachment.php

Hope this helps,

Matt

medicwood said:
I just received my Will G's shea butter #7 today. I have yet to try it, but it smells great. I was able to melt it into a gladware disposable container. These seem to be perfect for holding soaps. I pushed the soap as far into the bowl as I could, then put it in the microwave for 10 seconds. Pushed it in a little more, then more nuking. After a couple of times, it liquified completely. Then I stuck it in the freezer for about 5 minutes. Does anyone know if this is bad for the soap?

Here's how it looks in the gladware. BTW I was able to peel the sticker off the celophane wrapper and stick it to the bowl.
attachment.php

Hope this helps,

Matt

Matt,
As a future rule of thumb, you may wish to try the soap once BEFORE you melt it - just in case it adversely affects the soap. Every retailer has frowned upon microwaving shave soaps, and claims it can/will diminish the quality... I haven't tried melting the Will G, but I have tried others - and most of them were NOT impacted by melting them (however I did stir them up really well after melting them.) Just as a future heads up - i'd give them a go once or twice before you melt them - just in case you try it melted and it somehow doesn't do much for you... you won't know if it is just you and the soap, or if melting it somehow ruined it.

With that said.... let us know how it performs melted. Gentlemen - to your razors!! :shaving:

Top Bottom