What's new

WildWest74's Straight Shaving Journey

It's real hard to resist a well-honed Gold Dollar, isn't it! lol

Perhaps your wife would enjoy helping you to select your next one?

I am thinking she might. I was looking at the BTO option over at Nate's site, and that might make a great anniversary and/or Christmas present!

And you are correct, that is an amazing little razor.

Good decision. Your shaves now with the DE are likely much better than your first few shaves with a DE. This happened because you learned how to use the tool and how to adapt it to your face. The same thing will happen with the straight as you learn to wield it. If it is already giving a better first pass than your DE, imagine what it will do once you become proficient with it.

Before I started using straights, I couldn't fathom how a straight could give a shave any better than the r41 I was using--yet people talked about how they had just that experience. When I started out on the straight, I didn't quite see those results--it was a good shave, but not as close or efficient as the r41 had been, yet I pressed on because I'd heard from multiple sources that people were able to achieve that. As time went on, I learned that it was possible, though I wasn't quite at a place where I could get there regularly. Now, nearly every shave I have is better than my r41 shaves and I am certain I still have a long way to grow and improve. The shaves keep getting better and better.

Welcome back. I thought that we lost you there. This type of shaving clearly is not for everyone or their lifestyle. But it is something that I have come to really enjoy. I have experienced some of the best shaves of my life using a straight. I started learning during the winter months when there seems to be more time to focus on the learning. Had I started in the summer, I am not sure that I would have seen it through due to other time commitments around the house.

Thanks, Mac! I was actually surprised at how quickly I was able to get in a good shave.

And after pricing the materials, I can make my tile strops (leather and diamond pasted balsa) for less than $40, and be set for a VERY long time before needing to re-hone.

Makes me feel very optimistic. :thumbup1:

Once I got my shaving and stropping down, re-honing only became necessary for razors that have taken a flyer or have been attacked by the sink monster. I use film on glass tiles for touch ups when stropping seems insufficient.

The member who honed your razor, Jim, went 135 shaves or so on a TI razor just stropping on clean linen and leather between shaves. After he quit he sent the razor to another pro (Obiwan) who shaved with it and declared the edge still great.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Well done, Jim. And make sure to tell SWMBO "Thank you for putting up with my silly grown-up big boy fantasies"

There seems to be something missing in this thread, but I just can't PICTURE what it is. Hmmmmm :confused1

$IMG_20150820_183623.jpg

Since this is now an official journal:

Straight Shave 4

It's been a great 24 hours!

Of course, there was much rejoicing here on B&B when I returned to the fold of straight users!

I put some effort yesterday into sourcing and pricing the materials I want to use to keep my razor (and future straights) maintained properly. I remember a post by Slash McCoy about using diamond pasted balsa after every shave, in addition to leather, and how if used properly it can keep an edge going indefinitely (barring dings, drops, etc.)

My plan is to create three pieces. Two diamond pasted balsa strops, 0.1u and 0.25u, 3 inches wide and 12 inches long, which will be mounted on polished marble 4 inch by 12 inch edge tiles to ensure flatness. On the reverse of each tile will be vegetable tanned leather, 3.5 inches wide and 11 inches long. A third tile will have two different grits of sandpaper, one on each side, for lapping the balsa flat.

Online I found:
  • 3 pack of 4x12 marble edge tiles from Home Depot, $7.39 shipped to store.
  • 0.1u diamond paste, $11.49 on Amazon
  • 0.25u diamond paste, $10.49 on Amazon

Now, I need to make sure I get the correct paste. It is available in three different concentrations (10%, 25% and 50%). I asked for advice in the strops forum, and I am hoping Slash will chime in.

I planned to pick up the leather at Hobby Lobby. I had $12 in cash (trying to stay on a budget and only use cash during the week), and they had an 8 inch by 11 inch piece of vegetable tanned tooling leather for $10.99 in store. I had their weekly coupon for 40% off. When I got to the store, they had marked all leather and leather tools 30% off for items over $4.99. With that discount, I could afford to get my balsa as well. A 1/4 inch by 3 inch by 36 inch plank was marked $4.99. After all discounts and tax, I got the leather and balsa for $11.36.

I am waiting for the tiles to arrive at the Home Depot, and also to choose my pastes. I will probably pick up sandpaper this weekend. I already have some Krylon Extra Strength spray adhesive for sticking it all together.

When I got home, in the mailbox was a silicone sleeve I ordered from TSS, as well as a box from the Golden Nib. I got myself a 16mm Silvertip Grade A knot to repair my first brush.

I cut the leather into 3.5 inch wide pieces, and did some stropping along the edge of the table. I took it slow, went about 50 laps. I could see how easy it is to really nick the leather when you are learning, but I just had one or two tiny nicks. I put the razor away in its sleeve while I reknotted my brush, and that turned out great! I posted a photo in the Brush Making forum, where I had been asking for advice about the best way to restore it.

This morning, I woke up two minutes before my alarm went off (4:58am),

I got up, prepped as usual, and made a nice batch of lather with my Long Rifle Bay Rhum Soap. Lathered up and went to it with The Tank. Yes, this razor now has a name.

Easy passes down each cheek to the jawline. Jawline and neck passes were halfway between WTG and XTG, nice and smooth.

When I got to my upper lip I got a little careless under my nose. I went too high and bit myself right between my nostrils. Not too bad, but enough to remind me to stay focused.

After all those passes were finished, I relathered and got out Artemus, my DERW Tech, for the ATG pass and clean up. He gave me a pair of weepers on my lower lip because I was going in a new direction there, but after rinsing everything had calmed down. Three spots with styptic (I really need to just get an alum block at this point), cold water rinse, and put everything away.

A generous splash of The Cat gave me some deliciously painful but invigorating burn! :bayrum2:

When it was all said and done, halfway between DFS and BBS all around, in less than 20 minutes.

Happy Friday, gentlemen!

Now, if only I could find some steampunk scales to put on this badboy...

Last edited:
I know I've nailed a shave when the Co9Ts just simmers like a kitten. lol

That's where I had gotten with my DE. In fact, when this happened I had opened a brand new bottle I got from Amazon, and I thought it was defective! It was like a cat with no claws. I have subsequently learned that it burns just as well as ever (after that first straight shave, to be exact).

In my early days of starting out, I too did a DE cleanup after my straight shave. About two weeks into it, I started going straight razor only. In my opinion, this technique helped to advance my learning. I would be palpating my face all day, and almost subconsciously be devising techniques and approaches with a straight razor to try to nock the problem areas down. Something to think about.

However, in recent weeks I have shaved with a DE more than I have in a pretty long time. Each shave was enjoyable, and pretty good I must say. But my straight razor shaves still are superior to the best DE shave I have ever gotten. I got a DE shave a week or so ago that was pretty good (best result that I ever had) and was equal to some of my less than stellar straight shaves, but the really "amazing" straight shave still had it beat by a pretty decent margin.

Good luck with that! I have whittled mine out of the way . . . .

In order to see what I am doing, my grip is such that the tip of the razor never faces back towards my ear. My WTG passes all happen with the point facing forward. But I know the heel is just as sharp!
:eek2:

And, I found I can shave my whole face with my right hand, so I am happy with that!

Top Bottom