What's new

WildWest74's Straight Shaving Journey

Loophole!

Right! She put the order in on Saturday night.

I have been putting together an order from WWSC, just having problems deciding on scents. I was leaning towards aces and eights, outlaw, and tumbleweed. Just going for the soaps until I find out what I like.

It is even tougher now that he has so many different scents available, and he goes through spurts of releasing new ones. I am sure you will land on something you like.

Great shave and read Jim!
Hope SWMBO is back to 100% soon!

Thanks, Craig!

Awesome shave Jim! Hopefully the healing pains go away sooner than later for LOTH.

Thanks, Josh! She is actually doing a bit better since my last post.

So, no shave to report, but I have survived the madness of Saint Patrick's weekend at the most popular Irish pub in the area.

Things started off great, with SWMBO offering to drive me to the bar on Friday night, for my show from 9pm to 1am, and I planned to catch an Uber back home, so that I could drink without fear of ending up with a DUI. Some folks from work came out, and the crowd was very receptive. I had not played at this bar for almost 5 years, so I was new to some of the current regulars. I got a lot of great responses from folks, and luckily I still remembered how to play the best parts of my repertoire.

My only hiccup was that I had started drinking double-whiskey and ginger ale in a pint glass from the bar, and when I switched to beer after two of them, the bartender didn't realize this. Therefore, everytime someone at the bar sent a drink up to the stage, it was another double-whiskey and ginger. Of course I stopped caring what I was drinking, and tried to focus on not flubbing the songs, which got decidedly trickier after my sixth or seventh drink, and after the clock turned to midnight. I made it safely home without waking SWMBO, who was headed out early to breakfast on Saturday. But I woke with a pretty decent headache and a very groggy feeling (no sickness, so I am lucky for that) that reminded me I am too old for that kind of crap. SWMBO was home around 1045am so she could drive me back to the bar for my next show from noon to 345pm.

Needless to say I only had one tiny splash of whiskey in my first ginger ale, and I stuck to plain ginger the rest of the show. SWMBO was going to come back to get me at 4pm, but to my surprise she showed up just after 3, at the beginning of my final set, and cheered me on from the front of the stage. I got a lot of happy thank yous from the folks that enjoyed the show, and that is the reason I love to perform. The money is nice (very nice), but knowing I put on a good show for folks is a huge reward on its own.

I capped off the weekend with a completely lazy Sunday spent mostly stretched out in the bed watching trash TV, with a few breaks to run some loads of laundry. Back to work today and looking forward to my next show in about six months when Halfway to St. Pat's rolls around, lol!

Sounds like a good weekend Jim! Always nice to get out and do your thing in front of a crowd, it's been about a month since my last gig....I'm starting to get the itch to get back out there haha!

Good stuff there Jim.

Thanks, Chad!

Sounds like a good weekend Jim! Always nice to get out and do your thing in front of a crowd, it's been about a month since my last gig....I'm starting to get the itch to get back out there haha!

Thanks, Steve! I played my first show ever in October 2002, and I hadn't played at this bar I almost 5 years. It is always a rush!

Very cool there Mr. West. Even better we actually get to see you up there!

Thanks, Dave! Good thing I'm not shy, huh?

Today’s Shave: “The New York Volunteer“

Brush: The Holy Black Trading Co True Black Synthetic
Soap: Wild West Shaving Co Irish Brigade
Razor: Doc Holliday – Asylum RX SE (Feather Pro Guard blade)
Fragrance: Wild West Shaving Co Irish Brigade EdP

So I have been incognito for a while. It was my own illness this time.

Acute prostatitis – felt like I was walking around constantly having been kicked in the pills

After the appropriate recuperation, I am back on track. I was able to shave on Sunday, getting rid of the growth that accumulated since my last shave on the 16th. SWMBO surprised me with an early birthday present from WWSC, so I had the Irish Brigade soap and EdP on deck for a very green morning!

Oh my lord, this scent is amazing! This is more of a true fougere, with notes of fern, oakmoss, coriander, and fig leaf. His inspiration for the name was the Irish Brigades that were formed during the Civil War, primarily the Fighting 69th New York Infantry. That unit still exists, now as part of the National Guard, and they lead the NYC Saint Patrick’s Day parade every year. Back in 2008 I was honored to be invited to march with that unit’s Veteran’s Corps, as one of the members was a big fan of my music. I still get chills when I remember marching down Fifth Avenue on a cold March morning, surrounded by Saint Patrick’s Day revelers.

The scent itself brings me right back to the green fields I saw when I first visited Ireland, and also the fields of Fredericksburg where the opposing Irish Brigades of the Union and the Confederacy fought each other with tears in their eyes. It is so deliciously green and clean, with the sharpness of fresh vegetation. Of course the EdT takes the scent ever further, allowing the notes to comingle and evolve throughout the day.

I cannot wish for a better shave result, which was 2PWCBBS. This is one of Russ’s new formula soaps, with some slightly tweaked ratios, and the performance was just as fantastic as always.

SWMBO continues to make improvements, but her recovery is impeded by an upper respiratory issue (congestion and cough, no signs of bacterial infection) that has lingered for a few days. She is holding steady with some slight improvement, and we are treating it with Sudafed, fluids, and rest. I missed almost an entire week of work so it’s a busy day back. I look forward to keeping on track with the journal, and hope to post a photo of my shave soon.

Today’s song is one from an album that really helped pique my interest in the Irish Brigades. The album was performed by one of the founding members of the Wolfe Tones:

Derek Warfield ~ The New York Volunteer

Today’s Shave: “The Figthing 69th“

Brush: Wild West Brushworks Blue Meltdown
Soap: Wild West Shaving Co Irish Brigade
Razor: Doc Holliday – Asylum RX SE (Feather Pro Guard blade)
Fragrance: Wild West Shaving Co Irish Brigade EdP

SOTD 20180328.PNG

As we wind down the month of March I have not gotten in as many shaves as I normally would, between helping SWMBO back to health and dealing with my own ailments. On Wednesday night I decided to take a second go-round with the Irish Brigade, and it was even better than the first from a scent standpoint. I did my usual lather and hot towel soak, and the scent was so powerful that I couldn't help but smile.

The shave results were comparable, but with a few more weepers. I don't have an actual count, but this blade may be ready for replacement. And of course the EdP gave the scent even longer legs when I spritzed some on before leaving for work the next morning. I just love how Russ' colognes give a maturity to the scents compared to how they come across in the tub.

I will be doing some catchup over the next few days, and I hope you all have a terrific weekend!

Today's song is another one dedicated to the Irish Brigade:

The Wolfe Tones ~ The Fighting 69th

Love that brush!

I just stumbled upon Wild West Brushworks on Instagram the other day. Very cool looking stuff!

Hope you and the better half have been doing well!

Sorry for the health problems in your family Jim. Thanks for posting your St. Paddy's gig. I drop out for a few months, and lo and behold there is another soap maker with great stuff. Still working on my MVM Beta lots. Not much scent left, but performance is clearly hanging in there.

Love that brush!

I just stumbled upon Wild West Brushworks on Instagram the other day. Very cool looking stuff!

Hope you and the better half have been doing well!

Thanks, Steve!

Good stuff Jim. Haven’t posted much lately but a few good shaves there my friend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, TJ! I am trying to keep some presence here, even though I have had to skip some shaves and deal with the family stuff.

Sorry for the health problems in your family Jim. Thanks for posting your St. Paddy's gig. I drop out for a few months, and lo and behold there is another soap maker with great stuff. Still working on my MVM Beta lots. Not much scent left, but performance is clearly hanging in there.

Thanks, Walt! I am glad you enjoyed the video, and yeah, this soap came out of nowhere for me! I am feeling better, and SWMBO is still on the mend, so I am HOPING and PRAYING that I can get back to normal.

Well gentlemen, I committed! I am growing my beard out for the Stanley Cup playoffs. As long as the Bruins are alive in the playoffs I will not be shaving off this scruff. I did shave the bottom of my neck this morning just because the hair was driving me insane, but I used Dr. Carver's Easy Shave Butter and Doc Holliday for a quick trim.

I will be heading to the mountains of PA for a fishing trip this weekend, and will be catching up with everyone's journal between now and next week. Hope everyone has a great one!

Top Bottom