I got moves like Jagger
Hang in there.

Here's my progression with SWMBO:
- She thought I was nuts (stupid actually) when I started with a straight
- thought I was nuttier when I had the first few good cuts and kept at it
- was relieved when I sold my stuff
- was perplexed when I repurchased a straight
- thought I was nuts again when I got a few "cat scratches"

Now she understands that it's part of what makes me, me. Doesn't make her like it, but she accepts it.

Things have settled for now (she's sleeping). Her biggest issue was that she feels I "conveniently ommitted" that the razor coming to me was a straight, so she felt I had been dishonest. I had tried to talk about it last Friday, when she brushed off my "shaving talk", but she thinks I should have made a bigger effort to mention it was a straight when I first told her. She has a point, but now we are at the "see what happens next" stage. She asked me to open the box and show it to her, at least. Then she said I was nuts.

As for the razor, I really like the look of the Gold Dollar logo on the blade. Kind of Old West looking. Just my style!

Last edited:
So if she's asleep, what's stopping you from knocking out a shave?

Didn't want her to wake up in the middle of it with an exposed razor blade in the picture. :scared:

So, the dust has settled. When I came out from my DE shave this morning, she asked (genuinely, not sarcastically) why I didn't try the straight. I told her I didn't want my first time to be during the morning rush. It seems that the worst has passed. She is still worried, but I am cleared to commence.

Here's what I have learned from this experience:

1. It's not always about the cost
2. If I think I am being up front and honest, I need to try even harder to make sure there are no surprises
3. All in all, I have an awesome wife. I need to trust that more often, rather than try and get things in and justify them later.

I may not get to shave tonight, as my oldest son and I are going to dinner and a movie, so it looks like zero hour will be on Wednesday evening.

Wish me luck!

Quick update:

No issues yesterday with SWMBO, but that's probably because I didn't bring it up.

The plan is to shave this evening, after I have cooked her dinner and set her up comfortably (a foot rub may be involved).

Looking forward to finally taking bare steel to my face.

So, there will be a preemptive hiatus before this journey commences. I hope it doesn't take long, but we shall see.

Last edited:
Your point number three in post 28 is one that I still have not learned after 34 years of marriage. Thank you for reminding me.

When you do start just start with some WTG passes on the flats of your cheek so that you get used to handling the razor, and you feel comfortable putting steel to face. You are wise to not start when you are rushed. Set aside a weekend to get started, then by Monday you might feel comfortable with only the WTG pass on the work week mornings. The next weekend start adding technique to be applied during the work week. You will be surprised that after a couple of weeks, you will have incorporated a full face shave going in a couple of directions.

Your point number three in post 28 is one that I still have not learned after 34 years of marriage. Thank you for reminding me.

When you do start just start with some WTG passes on the flats of your cheek so that you get used to handling the razor, and you feel comfortable putting steel to face. You are wise to not start when you are rushed. Set aside a weekend to get started, then by Monday you might feel comfortable with only the WTG pass on the work week mornings. The next weekend start adding technique to be applied during the work week. You will be surprised that after a couple of weeks, you will have incorporated a full face shave going in a couple of directions.

Thanks for the support. I am definitely planning to start with WTG on the cheeks. Really, my wife and I will be on this journey together, so taking it slow and careful is important to me.

Well, that was a little anticlimactic.

I decided to shave with the straight this morning. I planned to go WTG, cheeks only. I ended up finishing my whole face and neck. One good nick by the corner of my mouth when I put my tongue in there to stretch it. 2 small weepers on my neck.
Very close shave, only a few touch ups needed.

The bad part? I didn't really enjoy it. Once I put steel to skin, my first thought was, "OK I can't see." I played with my grip until I could see what I was doing. Every stroke I swore was going to dig in and cut, but stuff came away smooth. Left side was tricky, and I ended up switching to my left hand. Once cheeks were done I decided to go all in. Lip and sides of mouth were really easy, and N-S on my neck (which is XTG) went pretty well.

I was surprised when I went to touch up with my Tech that there was almost no resistance, and it's overall DFS, better than my usual shave.

But it was not as comfortable. I missed the smooth glide of the razor head over the lather. It was effective, just different.

I definitely have respect for the straight, and I am happy to know that I can use it. I'm just not sure it's for me.

I feel a little silly now for all the emotional gymnastics I went through with SWMBO.

Thanks so much to lmarkow for giving me the chance to give it a go. I have to decide now if I'm going to hold on and try again, or let another have their turn.

Sorry if this post was a bummer, but I wanted to give my honest thoughts.

Thanks everyone.

Congrats on going through with it and having a successful shave. When I first started the shave was much tougher (more resistance) than my DE shaves (even r41 steep angle shaves). That will improve with time and experience as you begin to learn correct angles and pressure. One of the fun thing about straights for me & many others is the long learning curve when it come to the skill. Around the start of my journey ( I think around shave 8--it was right after I achieved my first Straight only BBS) I tried a SE razor from a pass around box (a GEM iirc). The shave was so smooth (so little resistance) I was blown away and it was a very close shave. But I continued on with the straight. Over time (somewhere around shave #30-40) I've had comparable shaves in terms of smoothness, but also much closer shaves and much better skin feel than hat I had with the GEM and these are becoming a regular thing. The few times I've gone back to my r41 I've found my skill with that razor has grown immessurably as well as a result of what I've learned with the straight.

My point of all this is if you enjoy the challenge of learning the skill, stick with it. Shaving with a straight isn't just about getting a blood free shave. It is learning and enjoying a skill (multiple skills actually once you start to take blade maintenance skills into consideration). You will get to a point where you are getting reliably close, comfortable, smooth shaves regularly and it will supersede DE and SE shaves. But if you don't enjoy taking the time & learning the skills, but just want a reliable close, comfortable shave there is no shame in sticking with the DE or some other tool. In the end they are all just tools that cut the hair off our faces (or our wive's backs ;) j/k).

Congrats on going through with it and having a successful shave. When I first started the shave was much tougher (more resistance) than my DE shaves (even r41 steep angle shaves). That will improve with time and experience as you begin to learn correct angles and pressure. One of the fun thing about straights for me & many others is the long learning curve when it come to the skill. Around the start of my journey ( I think around shave 8--it was right after I achieved my first Straight only BBS) I tried a SE razor from a pass around box (a GEM iirc). The shave was so smooth (so little resistance) I was blown away and it was a very close shave. But I continued on with the straight. Over time (somewhere around shave #30-40) I've had comparable shaves in terms of smoothness, but also much closer shaves and much better skin feel than hat I had with the GEM and these are becoming a regular thing. The few times I've gone back to my r41 I've found my skill with that razor has grown immessurably as well as a result of what I've learned with the straight.

My point of all this is if you enjoy the challenge of learning the skill, stick with it. Shaving with a straight isn't just about getting a blood free shave. It is learning and enjoying a skill (multiple skills actually once you start to take blade maintenance skills into consideration). You will get to a point where you are getting reliably close, comfortable, smooth shaves regularly and it will supersede DE and SE shaves. But if you don't enjoy taking the time & learning the skills, but just want a reliable close, comfortable shave there is no shame in sticking with the DE or some other tool. In the end they are all just tools that cut the hair off our faces (or our wive's backs ;) j/k).

Thanks Al. I think for me the enjoyment always come from the shave itself, and that is where I was a little let down. I know that it's something that might get better with time, but with all of my other life commitments (wife, kids, work), I don't feel ready to commit to all of the maintenance when I don't really enjoy the experience MORE than what I get from DE.

I do feel some pride knowing I CAN do it, and pretty well for the first time, I feel. No razor burn or irritation, and all my weepers and the nick were closed before I splashed on the CO9T. And who knows, in a few years I may come back and try again. It's good to know it's always an option, even if it's not what I want right now.

On a side note, I'm grumpy. Some chucklehead sprayed slurpee or orange soda all over my white Challenger while I was at the store today. Off to the car wash!

So, to make sure I have given it a fair shake, I took another shot with the straight this morning. After I prepped and lathered, I hit my cheeks WTG on both sides. It was easier, for sure, because I figured out the best grip for control and vision, and I was able to use my right hand on both sides. The bladed shaved great, about as well as I could possibly want. There was nothing crude or uncomfortable about the strokes, and I felt completely in control. Then I lathered my cheeks back up and wend XTG with my newly modified Fat Handle Tech from DERW. I just weighted the handle up to 63.8g using tungsten putty.

OMG, my face was singing! I am sorry, but the way the head cap glided over my face was just heavenly.

I know now, for certain, that I could use the straight whenever I wanted, but I am just not drawn to its siren song. So I will be returning this fine blade to her previous owner, so she can be bestowed upon another new traveler who wishes to walk this road.

Thank you all for your support. If I even get the itch to try again, I will definitely keep it documented here.

Well, that was short, and I feel even sillier than before.

The longer that the straight sat, waiting to be packed up and mailed back, the more I kept thinking about it. And of course, I didn't stop checking out all the great threads here. So even though I wasn't fully sucked in before, there was still that little tingle that told me "You'll be sorry if you send it back!"

Maybe I could still find a way to love the straight as part of my routine. One thing I cannot deny is that the straight has a definite "cool factor" that I feel whenever I see one or read about them. I mean, dangit, I always wanted to be a cowboy, and cowboys would have used a straight (or at least their barber would have)! And if I could do it so easily from the start, who's to say that a little more time might not make it a more awesome experience than I originally thought it to be? Can you tell I get a little fickle sometimes?

Anyway, I got to thinking about how a single pass with the straight was giving me similar results to two passes with my DE. This morning, just out of the blue, I pulled out the Gold Dollar first, and did a single pass all over. I mean everything: cheeks, lip, mouth, neck. Nailed it all with no cuts, and no weepers. Then I brought out the DE for the finishing pass ATG and a few touchups.

Not only did I get a great, near BBS shave, I did it in 10 minutes less time than usual. That is a result, gentlemen.

When I was done, I told my wife I was thinking about keeping the razor. She smiled, touched my cheek, and said, "good."

Yeah, I think I am back in!

It's real hard to resist a well-honed Gold Dollar, isn't it! lol

Perhaps your wife would enjoy helping you to select your next one?

Top Bottom