What's new

wich GEM SE is the best in you opinion

I'm enjoying the micromatic clog pruf (yeah, that's how it's spelled). It does a better job under my nose than the 1912. The 1912 is a bit gentler on my face, though. SE razors are relatively inexpensive, so you should buy a few to find out which works best for you!

I like the open comb micromatic.
If I wanted a mild SE I would go with the g-bar. I like the handle. Very comfortable grip upside down, it hangs on with that little lip.

I've tried several GEMS. The 1912, Micromatics, and G-Bar.

The best shaves came from a 1912 type model known as the Damaskeene. They were consistently smooth, close, and irritation free.

Used a G-Bar for the first time yesterday and would have to say it's my favorite so far by the smallest of margins. But I really, really like my Juniors. I have 3, including a fat handle.

Of the GEM models that I have tried I would have to go with a British made Ever-ready 1912 (silver with ornate handle), and a close second goes to my featherweight..

this is a great thread. over the last week i've tried three se's--first was the featherweight and got my my closest shave ever but with slight irritation.

second, the 'guiding eye' micromatic and got my worst shave since my first month of de's.

last two shaves were with a 1912. this may be my favorite so far; smooth and close, still some tingling with the alum block however. also, the 1912 for some reason does the best job on my neck by far of any razor i've ever used.

the experienced guys however claim the older 'lather catcher' models as the best shavers. i want to try one of these some time soon. can we hear from some of you experienced se guys?

I've had great shaves from the GEM Junior, but haven'y had such a great run with the other GEMs--I had such a rough one with the G-Bar I thought I must be doing it wrong, and the micromatics were a bit "meh" for me (that's why I'm selling off my GEMs at the moment).

Still, the Junior was fantastic ... one of my best ever.

I have a near mint english made gem 1912 with the shorter version of the ornate handle, and that is my favorite razor in the world,

Second is my also near mint gem damaskene with the knurled handle with the small little ball like thing on the end,

never tried a g bar, or featherweight, i think they look too modern :)

I prefer the '12, the bullet-tip, and the ContourII flip top, in that order. The '58 'push button' is probably the same head as the Contour, but with a different handle, and I find that it works well, too.

-- John Gehman

Just one more opinion, I have had great results with several different 1912 Gems. For me, this is just the easiest Gem to use, and it's the one that I'd recommend to start with. Something about the design makes it really easy for me to use coming around the chin.

"BEST"?? Best in what way?

I shaved with a G-bar this morning and with an open comb Micromatic last week. Each of them has traits that one might consider better than the other. Please ask a more specific question if you're not just looking for a popularity contest.

In my opinion:

1st - Kamfe Star Lather Catcher. I tried an Ever-Ready lather catcher and found it way too light and mild. The star lather catcher is more substantial to hold and gives me BBS almost every time. I have 2 of these and both take normal SE blades.

2nd - Open comb micromatic. I only use this super aggressive razor when I am traveling and don't want to risk losing my lather catcher. This razor actually knocked my go to razor, the G-Bar, out of rotation permanently.

3rd - G-Bar. This was my favorite SE razor for quite a few months. Nothing wrong with it at all but I just prefer the aggressiveness of my open comb micromatic.

4th - 1912. Nothing wrong with this razor either, it shaved just like my g-bar but I prefered the look of the g-bar.

Top Bottom