What's new

wich GEM SE is the best in you opinion

"BEST"?? Best in what way?

I shaved with a G-bar this morning and with an open comb Micromatic last week. Each of them has traits that one might consider better than the other. Please ask a more specific question if you're not just looking for a popularity contest.

Seems like the OP was just asking for some basic opinions on Gem type razors. It's doubtful that he was viewing his question as a popularity/pissing contest.

Narativesoul-

I like the 1912 model. It's comfortable and gives a close smooth shave and is not overly-aggressive. Give one a spin if you can--bet you will like it.

Marty E.

I get the best results with the Bullet Tip Micromatic. As an added bonus, it looks great too. I'm thinking about getting mine replated though (not concerned about collectivity since I use it)

I only have only tried the G-Bar so far. The G-Bar gives a fantastic shave, so much so I'm on the hunt for a 1912.

I'm continually amazed at how close the G-Bar shaves the neck area, with so much less effort than the DE's.

DD

Like the Micromatics, though the 1912 works fine. Have found the G-Bar to be a bit too "light" - but it's bound to be good for others. All GEMS are shaving JEWELS:thumbup1:

Yes. Like the Schick G did for me with injectors, the Damaskene has revived my dead interest in SEs.

How do you like that Pal adjustable injector? I got one as part of a lot of razors I bought and was wondering if I should add it to my regular rotation.

I got a 1912 and a bullet tip Micromatic as part of a lot of 13 razors. Haven't tried the bullet tip yet but the 1912 sure does a good job so far.
And here I thought that single edge razor blades were just for scrapers and box cutters. Little did I know that they actually ARE razor blades. Doh!!

I've learned so much here.

How do you like that Pal adjustable injector? I got one as part of a lot of razors I bought and was wondering if I should add it to my regular rotation.

Enjoy it greatly, it's always near top of the stack. I use it a couple times a week. Plus, the adjuster can compensate somewhat for lesser blades, I find.

And here I thought that single edge razor blades were just for scrapers and box cutters. Little did I know that they actually ARE razor blades. Doh!!

Well, some of them are. Others are good only for skinning animals.

Chalk me up with the 1912 Crowd. In all fairness I do have a G-Bar that I have not used yet because the '12 is such a awesome performer.:thumbup1:

My preference runs to the 1900/1901 patent Gem Jr. Bar Razor. The 1912 patent models run a close second. Either of these razors, in my opinion, is capable of some of the best and most comfortable shaves of any safety razor. :thumbup1:

Regards,
Tom

Last week I found a GEM 1912 (I think it is the travel model, because of the short handle) with some brassing on the handle and the head with some wear/scratches. I appeared to have been well used. I had been thinking about trying to find a 1912 in better condition. I bought it for $3.00 to give it a try. I put a GEM blade in it.

I just completed my fourth shave with it ths morning. I prepped my face and applied some Shave Secret and used my re-knotted badger, Erskine shave brush to apply some Tobac. I am 64 years old and I just got the best shave of my life! I have tried numerous Gillette, Edwin Jagger and Merkur razors. I have had really good shave from those razors, but this GEM 1912 is the smoothest cutting I have ever used. In the four times I have used it, I have never been cut. I did have some razer burn the first two times I used it. I learned I was pressing to hard. If you just let the blade cut with no pressure and maintain the proper angle this thng works.

I got the chance to win a bid on a gold plated 1912 and I should receive it in a few days. I hope it shaves as well as my well used 1912.

I'm going to give my GEM another chance next week... my first shave... was not so great.

I've been shaving with my Merkur 38 (c and b) for a while now with Feather/Russian Yellow Gillettes/KAI/Sharks for a long time now and have consistently achieved great shaves.

I was very careful during my first GEM shave, using the same light touch I use with my Merkur 38. The first pass did not mow down as much hair as I usually get from my Merkur 38 paired with a sharp blade. I started feeling a lot of irritation halfway through the 2nd pass and decided to stop and finish the shave with my Merkur.

Later that night, the shave still bothered me. I had recovered by the next day, but my first impressions of GEM shaving were bad.

Tried the Gem "Contour" yesterday and found it to be mild, like the G-Bar....switched to my Futur (set at 5) for today:thumbup1:

I'm going to give my GEM another chance next week... my first shave... was not so great.

I've been shaving with my Merkur 38 (c and b) for a while now with Feather/Russian Yellow Gillettes/KAI/Sharks for a long time now and have consistently achieved great shaves.

I was very careful during my first GEM shave, using the same light touch I use with my Merkur 38. The first pass did not mow down as much hair as I usually get from my Merkur 38 paired with a sharp blade. I started feeling a lot of irritation halfway through the 2nd pass and decided to stop and finish the shave with my Merkur.

Later that night, the shave still bothered me. I had recovered by the next day, but my first impressions of GEM shaving were bad.

So was mine, a year or so ago, before I swore off SEs for ever. I now believe it was largely due to using lackluster blades, but don't know what you loaded yours with.

Top Bottom