What's new

GEM Silver Featherweight vs. G-Bar Aggressiveness

I bought a 1950s GEM Silver Featherweight and love it EXCEPT it's borderline too mild even for daily shaving ... how much more aggressive is the G-Bar (using, say, a 1-10 scale), and can a G-Bar be used for daily shaving for someone with fairly sensitive skin like me?

It’s Feather Weight, two words. There are three variations of the Micromatic and it’s generally believed that they got less aggressive from the original open comb to the Clog-pruf to the final version, the Flying Wing. The frame design used on the Flying Wing is pretty much what ASR stuck with for the subsequent models.

You really need to just try them for yourself and see how they work for you and not for everyone else.

IMG_0216.jpeg

It’s Feather Weight, two words. There are three variations of the Micromatic and it’s generally believed that they got less aggressive from the original open comb to the Clog-pruf to the final version, the Flying Wing. The frame design used on the Flying Wing is pretty much what ASR stuck with for the subsequent models.

You really need to just try them for yourself and see how they work for you and not for everyone else.

View attachment 1779404
And apparently "Gem", not "GEM"
:cool:

Either way, it's a great razor

I have 15 GEM style razors at the moment (13 of which are vintage).
Right now, I find myself using the GEM Heavy Flat Top (G-Bar) more often as I find it efficient and comfortable to shave with.
I like it better than my GEM Feather Weight Deluxe.

When I first started looking at vintage GEM razors, I asked what the efficient ones would be. I was pointed to the GEM MMOC, the EverReady 1924/Shovel head, the EverReady 1914/Little Lather Catcher and the GEM 1912 (if I remember correctly).

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I recall reading somewhere some time back that the GEM's got progressively milder as time marched on. I've found that to be mostly true depending on how you characterize the 1912, which was built for decades after its debut and is generally pretty mild ..

But to the OP, my experience is that the heavy flat top/G-Bar is more aggressive than the Feather Weight model. I would put the Feather Weight at a 3, the G-Bar at 4 on a scale of aggression that would put the Micromatic Open Comb at a 7.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I bought a 1950s GEM Silver Featherweight and love it EXCEPT it's borderline too mild even for daily shaving ... how much more aggressive is the G-Bar (using, say, a 1-10 scale), and can a G-Bar be used for daily shaving for someone with fairly sensitive skin like me?
A Gem G bar can be used for daily shaving IMO and so can the Gem Feather weight.
There are 2 different types of Gem Feather weight razors and I found the 1st generation (slimmer head profile than the second Generation)
I have some old archived photo's of the differences of the 1st generation Featherweight and 2nd generation Feather weight.
I found the 1st Generation Feather weight slightly more efficient with the slimmer head design.

(L) 2nd generation Feather weight, Mfg 1953-54 (R) 1st generation Feather weight, Mfg 1950-52, slimmer head design!
GEM Cap Styles 2 (2).JPG

Gem changed aggression slightly by changing the head thickness has been my observations.
(L)G bar,(C) 1st Gen Feather weight,(R) Gem Bush button...........(below) 3 similar heads from 3 different razors Gem made!
The three below give similar shaves IMO and they are a joy to use IMO!
GEM head comparrisons (2).jpg
GEM Cap Styles 3 (2).JPG

Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom