What's new

Why would i want a stainless steel razor?

I think people like the look of stainless steel. Solid SS is heavier than hollow brass. Most brass razors are plated. SS is one material, so no worries about plate loss. I prefer heavy brass when I can find it.

It's now a bit passe in the mountain biking world, with numerous reports of catastrophic failure of carbon fibre frames. I wonder if the same sort of thing could happen to a shaving brush handle after excessive stress loading.
seams a little extreme to use carbon fiber in mountain bikes, road bikes not so much. i guess the key work is "excessive" imagine the stress loading needed to break a wood handle or resin.

[FONT=&amp] Brass many weigh anywhere from 8400 to 8730 kg/cu.m, (18480 to 19206 pound/cubic meter). Stainless steel weighs anywhere from 7480 - 8000 kg/cu.m, (16456 to 176000 pound/cubic meter) therefor making it lighter than Brass.[/FONT]

True, but most brass razor handles are hollow therefore lighter than their SS brethren.

often times stainless is chosen because it is generally is very corrosion resistant, easy to machine, and doesnt need to be plated. most common brass needs to be coated to make it more resistant, or else it will corrode. however brass does have an antimicrobial property. stainless steel like brass is an alloy meaning the exact properties are dependent on the ratios. the biggest shaving related difference is brass can be cast much easier than stainless making it much cheaper to use. for me weight isnt a big issue as i like heft, personally i like both metals and either one are good choices for high quality razors.

Brass doesn't corrode. It develops a patina, to be sure, but the patina that develops on brass actually strengthens the material. Corrosion implies weakening.

Pro - cool, corrosion resistant. Most makers who use this material produce razors made to very precise tolerances.

Con - expensive, possible too heavy for some users.

Stainless razor makers also tend to used solid handles versus the mostly hollow handles of vintage brass razors, making the stainless razors feel substantially heavier.

+2. Plus, they look nice!

A vintage brass razor feels like an extension of your hand. A 120g stainless razor feels like you're holding something like a small hammer.

More weight (and inertia) - things I don't want interfering with my shave. Then again, I'm not "normal" ... I much prefer the shave of my 20g Knockout razor over my 82g Aristocrat #16. No, the #16 is not for sale :)

A vintage brass razor feels like an extension of your hand. A 120g stainless razor feels like you're holding something like a small hammer.

More weight (and inertia) - things I don't want interfering with my shave. Then again, I'm not "normal" ... I much prefer the shave of my 20g Knockout razor over my 82g Aristocrat #16. No, the #16 is not for sale :)

Yep, for me the ball end OLD type is perfect, I haven't found any razor that gives me a smoother, more comfortable shave. :thumbup1:

I think a 100% stainless is supposed to last longer than the new zamak heads. For that reason, it's a better material. That said, I like my vintage brass razors best.

It's quality, it's adding to the shaving experience of having a high quality razor. I just used a stainless steel razor today for the first time and at first the weight of it seemed a lot but during the shave I much preferred that extra weight of the razor, felt solid. Also, I do think the better high end razor do deliver a better shave, now I've only had a 34c before today but after the first shave with a Timeless it was more comfortable, much more efficient and just felt great having something that was made by a trades man in North America.. I'm sold on the higher end stuff now, I want a wolfman next and I'll be done.
:lol: Until RAD kicks in.

Yep, for me the ball end OLD type is perfect
I love the Old Type as well, and shaved with one today with my favorite handle, the fat Tech handle. Don't scream sacrilege - you really need to try one. I use it on my NEWs as well. Perfect balance and grippiness.

Brass doesn't corrode. It develops a patina, to be sure, but the patina that develops on brass actually strengthens the material. Corrosion implies weakening.

splitting hairs here ill admit but, patina is an oxidation of the copper in brass. corrosion is the breaking down of metals into a more stable compound, patina is a mixture of copper carbonate and copper sulfides. since both copper and nickel corrode, brass corrodes. just like stainless steel can still rust because it contains iron. one of the concerns with buying vintage brass razors is pitting of the metal which is corrosion.

I see that one razor manufacturer has stated that a brass razor will last a lifetime whereas a stainless steel razor will last 10,000 years. So there you have it :001_smile

Because you can't get a Titanium razor that easily :lol:

There are a few people who make titanium handles, but I don't remember seeing an all-titanium razor anywhere. Apparently titanium is very difficult to machine, and even making a handle can ruin a set of tools, so I hate to think what the cost of a titanium head might be. I'd be interested to know if anybody has ever actually produced one.

For me, the main difference in the SS razor versus the others is tighter tolerances. I think there are some inherent challenges with chroming a consistent thickness. Corrosion resistance is not as big of a deal to me. Shoot, i could buy about 5 or 6 Maggard razors for the cost of one ATT. If corrosion was my only concern, I would just buy a new cheap razor when the current razor was in bad shape.

Only you can decide if it is worth them money. You are paying a premium for sure.

I own an ATT M1 razor, and I love it. I also prefer a heavier razor. It truly is a personal preference.

There are a few people who make titanium handles, but I don't remember seeing an all-titanium razor anywhere. Apparently titanium is very difficult to machine, and even making a handle can ruin a set of tools, so I hate to think what the cost of a titanium head might be. I'd be interested to know if anybody has ever actually produced one.
James at Wolfman razors has made and sold titanium razors, head and all. It even has a cool inscription on the bottom of the baseplate with the chemical symbol Ti on it. Probably if you Google image search it you can find it. There are some great pics floating around the interwebs.

Top Bottom