What's new

Why would i want a stainless steel razor?

Stainless steel razors are popular and somewhat common. I've been tempted to buy one, but never have.

What are the pros and cons of a stainless steel razor? Why would I want one?

It seems to me they often are expensive, and they may be uncomfortably heavy.

Brass is heavier than stainless, no one complains about the weight of their Gillette.

I'd rather have brass myself. :thumbup1:

[FONT=&quot] Brass many weigh anywhere from 8400 to 8730 kg/cu.m, (18480 to 19206 pound/cubic meter). Stainless steel weighs anywhere from 7480 - 8000 kg/cu.m, (16456 to 176000 pound/cubic meter) therefor making it lighter than Brass.[/FONT]

I only have one SS razor, and it is a Hybrid.
Stahly head with a Tradere handle.
I almost always use it with an AstraSP when I'm rocking out a 2-day beard.

The Stahly head isn't 100% stainless.
Parts of it attract a magnet but other parts don't.
I'm not sure what material(s) the rest of it is made from.

I'd like to get a SS razor someday,
still trying to decide which one.
The high prices will probably make me wait quite a while longer.

If I did have to choose one today,
it would probably be an ATT set,
the whole set,
but I doubt I would buy it all in one order.

I'm going to side with brass. I'm no metallurgist but my understanding is that stainless steel can rust under certain conditions. Brass can't. And as others said above, brass is heavier. I like some heft to my razors. I presently have no interest in spending money on stainless steel razors. I've got enough of a problem with spending too much money on older brass gillette razors. RAD has set in quite heavily recently. I'm doomed. :bored:

I like my stainless ATT Atlas R2 and my Mongoose. The razors have a nice weight to it and that allows/ reminds me that the razor does all the work and I don't have to apply too much pressure. I also like the nice textures and edges a milled stainless razor has. Lots of possibilities. Also while not corrosion proof they are definitely corrosion resistant which is nice. To me they just feel like quality and not like cheap pot metal. It adds to the experience at least for me.

I have the Feather AS-D2 and it's only heavy because it's handle is on the long side. It's beautifully engineered, but an extremely mild head design. It's meant to be used with the ninja blade they make. Even with that, the shave seems to be close, but not as close as a medium aggressive design might give. I enjoy using it, but find that by 3PM, I'm wanting to lather up again. I get closer results with my Merkur and EJ razors.

While I can't say if this is true for you, I think most want a stainless razor because the good ones are the highest quality tools of their type. The premise of a well made stainless razor is that is a finely crafted tool, aesthetically pleasing to the user who appreciates (and is willing to pay for) precision and craftsmanship. The really good stainless razors are, really, far better than they need to be to do their job, but then that is the point. For some, the pleasure of owning and using such a fine piece of equipment justifies the cost.

But if it is simply a great, comfortable shave that you are after, then save your money. There are plenty of great shaving razors made of other materials for far less money; don't think that stainless is some Holy Grail in terms of shave quality. On the other hand, if you want and appreciate the beauty of an heirloom quality razor, then one of he artisan made stainless razors can certainly fulfill that desire and inspire some pride of ownership, if that is your thing.

It's quality, it's adding to the shaving experience of having a high quality razor. I just used a stainless steel razor today for the first time and at first the weight of it seemed a lot but during the shave I much preferred that extra weight of the razor, felt solid. Also, I do think the better high end razor do deliver a better shave, now I've only had a 34c before today but after the first shave with a Timeless it was more comfortable, much more efficient and just felt great having something that was made by a trades man in North America.. I'm sold on the higher end stuff now, I want a wolfman next and I'll be done.

Stainless steel razors are popular and somewhat common. I've been tempted to buy one, but never have.

What are the pros and cons of a stainless steel razor? Why would I want one?

It seems to me they often are expensive, and they may be uncomfortably heavy.

often times stainless is chosen because it is generally is very corrosion resistant, easy to machine, and doesnt need to be plated. most common brass needs to be coated to make it more resistant, or else it will corrode. however brass does have an antimicrobial property. stainless steel like brass is an alloy meaning the exact properties are dependent on the ratios. the biggest shaving related difference is brass can be cast much easier than stainless making it much cheaper to use. for me weight isnt a big issue as i like heft, personally i like both metals and either one are good choices for high quality razors.

Pro - cool, corrosion resistant. Most makers who use this material produce razors made to very precise tolerances.

Con - expensive, possible too heavy for some users.

Stainless razor makers also tend to used solid handles versus the mostly hollow handles of vintage brass razors, making the stainless razors feel substantially heavier.

Pro - cool, corrosion resistant. Most makers who use this material produce razors made to very precise tolerances.

Con - expensive, possible too heavy for some users.

Stainless razor makers also tend to used solid handles versus the mostly hollow handles of vintage brass razors, making the stainless razors feel substantially heavier.

This
quality of build
Last for a long time compared to other cheeper made razors. Last so long you will be able to pass down for generations.
Plus the weight.
And its cool.

Stainless steel is just about the most durable and damage resistant material a DE razor can be made of. It's not invulnerable to physical and chemical attack, but any such assault would have to be pretty extreme — more than is at all likely for a razor in a comparatively benign domestic environment. I know there have been reports of "corrosion" in some SS razors, but as far as I know these have all involved very minor "tea stains" which can easily be wiped or polished off with no harm done to the razor.
As for the relatively high weight of SS razors, I think this is more of a fashion thing, with modern users having a preference for heftier models (perhaps as a reaction against the ultralight plastics used in mass produced carts). I don't mind this at all in the ss razors I have; they're well balanced and easy to handle. I'm sure manufacturers could make lighter models, with thinner heads and handles made of hollow tubing, for example, but I just don't see the need.
And, when all's said and done, they are really well engineered and nice looking bits of bling that give people a warm and fuzzy feeling when they use them.

Last edited:
I think it's a guy thing. Stainless DE = quality tool = cool factor. I think everyone should have at least one in their den.

Also, there are some benefits to using stainless steel to make DE razors, whereas I just don't see the point of the exotic materials employed in some shaving kit. For example, just what are shaving brushes with carbon fibre handles all about? I'm not decrying those who have bought such instruments, I just don't see why anybody would want to.

Also, there are some benefits to using stainless steel to make DE razors, whereas I just don't see the point of the exotic materials employed in some shaving kit. For example, just what are shaving brushes with carbon fibre handles all about? I'm not decrying those who have bought such instruments, I just don't see why anybody would want to.
carbon fiber, is a pretty modern material, its ultra lightweight and very strong. people like it because its weight saving property, or just because its the new thing. kinda like 3-D printed everything for all of about 9 months.

carbon fiber, is a pretty modern material, its ultra lightweight and very strong. people like it because its weight saving property, or just because its the new thing. kinda like 3-D printed everything for all of about 9 months.

It's now a bit passe in the mountain biking world, with numerous reports of catastrophic failure of carbon fibre frames. I wonder if the same sort of thing could happen to a shaving brush handle after excessive stress loading.

Top Bottom