What's new

Why would i want a stainless steel razor?

For the same reasons a pen aficionado appreciates and purchases a fine writing instrument when a pack of Pilots would do the job (you may have noticed that we have an entire subforum devoted to pens). That, and as others have mentioned, stainless steel will last forever with little or no maintenance.

. . . and they may be uncomfortably heavy.

I prefer the heft. If you like a lighter razor then stainless steel probably isn't for you.

For the same reasons a pen aficionado appreciates and purchases a fine writing instrument when a pack of Pilots would do the job (you may have noticed that we have an entire subforum devoted to pens). That, and as others have mentioned, stainless steel will last forever with little or no maintenance.

I prefer the heft. If you like a lighter razor then stainless steel probably isn't for you.

Same with brass, which is even heavier.

Shiny. So shiny.

That's funny, I have a few stainless steel razors and LOVE the matte (or satin) look of them.
One of the reasons I got them actually.

OP: Nothing against brass though but ask your self why so many of the vintage Gillette's have a cracked handle by the treads.
I doubt that would happen to a stainless steel razor...even if it got 70 years old and was used every day.

Which takes me to another reason I bought the stainless steels I have; longevity.

Design error in one model, likely exacerbated by materials substitutions due to war-time shortages. Other brass razors from the era are still going strong.

As you your self said "likely".
We don't know for sure if this is a fact or not. This is just something a lot of people have speculated.
Lot's of brass razors before wartime are now cracked.
And...lot's of bras razors before, during and after wartime are not cracked.
Seriously doubt this would happen to that many given the same circumstances with a stainless steel razor.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/446448-What-happened-to-my-Merkur-Futur

attachment.php

Well, that will make the Futur's smooth handle a little more "grippy!" :001_smile

Last edited:

A fountain pen was a real god send for me in college and early post-college adult life. Using craptastic ballpoints that were the cheapest you could find anywhere were the norm for me in high school so, I wrote with waaaay too much pressure. This caused wrist and finger pain in college as my writing increased dramatically.

The fountain pen nib would flex if I got to heavy handed and retrained me to use normal pressure taking notes. Now if I loose my notepaper, I can't read what a I wrote several sheets down and have to press extra hard for carbons to print.
:001_rolle

Corrosion resistant, longevity. I've been eye balling the Rockwell 6S for a while myself. But that said a brass Goodwill would be an awesome score! :thumbup1:

In 10,000 years, and people have evolved beyond face hair, my stainless razors will be in museums next to the stone hand tools of our ancestors!

Charles Darwin might have something to say about that. So long as the ladies prefer being able to spot a man from a distance, I don't think that's ever happening. :kyle1:

SS has many characteristics which make it desirable. It really doesn't rust, depending on quality. The only element that does not tarnish is Gold which is too soft for a razor, but good for some dental applications. SS is very hard, must be milled, not poured, so the machining generally means high tolerances, and good quality. This also means it is harder to work with and therefore more expensive. Lends itself well to all sorts of finishes including high polish that looks like chrome, satin, etc. It is fairly heavy. It will last a lifetime and beyond because unless specifically desired there is no plating, or coatings to peel. Overall SS is the optimal material for razors, however there are others that some people prefer which simply comes down to preference, looks, patina, etc. Brass for example.

For the cost differences, I see brass as being a better choice for most people over stainless steel. With brass, I have chrome or nickel coatings for looks and tarnish protection which will eventually peel and it is softer so, I might dent or bend it if I drop it. However, with it being so much cheaper I can afford to replace a brass razor many times before I come close to the cost of a stainless steel razor.

As I see, there are plusses and minuses:

Plus:

Very corrosion resistant
No plating to wear through
Machined (SS won't stamp like brass) so close tolerances IF well made
Lighter than brass if similar construction (hollow handles, etc)
Doesn't need plating to prevent corrosion

Minus:

Cannot be injection molded or stamped, so more expensive (injection moulding is very high precision these days)
Expensive
Usually heavy due to solid handles
No TTO models that I know of (and I like TTOs)
Weird "innovative" designs instead of proven ones (broken blades, eh?)

Other than dropping and bending or cracking a razor (and the stainless can bend, too), any modern production razor should outlast the owner unless the threads in Zamak wear out or the plating peels. My personal preference at the moment is plated brass. Stainless would be nice, but I prefer TTO razors and probably have enough to last three or four generations.

Peter

Top Bottom