What's new

Why is shaving such a topic?

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Having read a lot of post and comments on this forum over the last year, i started to ask myself why is shaving such a topic ? There is probably no highly active forum about showering or nail clipping.

Thinking about myself, i started to read some posts, after my father in law had passed. He was a 90 year old British gentleman, with a treasure trove of life experience. And every time we had the chance we would sit down with a good cigar and happily chat away. It was him who showed me how to use a straight razor, shared his preferences between T&H, TOBS and Trumpers, and passed on the information of a new find.

Having shaved everyday for more than 70 years, he was still curious about new products. (He even tried a Harry’s razor and recommended it to his grandsons as a starter razor)

So apparently shaving, is one of these topics like cigars, whisky, wine, cars, pocket knives, guns, sport and women.

Why is it a topic for you?
Having shaved for over 50 years, I ask that same question and have no idea other than being able to chat with people. I have gone to straight shaving being enabled and encouraged by B&B and have made some friends along the way and enjoy reading posts by guys that have never even shaved with a DE etc. I believe the bottom line is just communicating with other people. This is my only social media - no politics, fuming and fighting - just peaceful conversation.

Having shaved for over 50 years, I ask that same question and have no idea other than being able to chat with people. I have gone to straight shaving being enabled and encouraged by B&B and have made some friends along the way and enjoy reading posts by guys that have never even shaved with a DE etc. I believe the bottom line is just communicating with other people. This is my only social media - no politics, fuming and fighting - just peaceful conversation.
“No politics, fuming, and fighting - just peaceful conversation.” This is true for me as well. I believe that B&B deserves credit for creating and maintaining this sort of space.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Some things, like showering and nail clipping, are obviously fairly easy to perform very well (although I'm sure there is a world of bath soaps that would require some expertise to understand well).

Other things can be performed in a terribly mediocre fashion and still satisfy many. If you don't believe me visit a golf course driving range for 3 minutes. But some of us are not satisfied with mediocre (sometimes at the expense of our joy when it comes to golf).

Then there's people like me: nothing is too good for me. I have a good brush. If you've got a better choice for me I want to know all about it. Better fountain pen? Why shouldn't I have it?

Then there's shaving, which can produce blood when done poorly, not to mention stubble left on the face. Why should a fine example of a human like myself be forced to suffer the slings and arrows of a poor shaving experience???? The very concept is ridiculous. And the answer is B&B!

Why is shaving such a hot topic, you ask? Well, it's like a close shave with destiny! It's a blade of conversation that cuts through the mundane and leaves us all smooth-faced and chuckling. Shaving is like the rollercoaster ride of grooming, except with fewer loop-de-loops and more foam and lather.

You know, it's almost like shaving has joined the ranks of other exhilarating hobbies. It's like the Formula 1 of grooming routines, the Olympic sport of facial follicle removal. Forget about showering, nail clipping, and mundane stuff like that. Shaving has become the extreme sport of the bathroom!

It's like we're all part of a secret society of smooth faces, where we discuss the intricacies of razors and the mystical properties of shaving creams. We gather around like a clan of cigar aficionados, swirling our shaving brushes with the same passion as swirling a glass of fine wine. We compare razors like car enthusiasts comparing engines, and we debate the merits of shaving techniques like connoisseurs discussing pocket knife craftsmanship.

And let's not forget about the legendary Father-in-Law, the shaving guru who passed down his wisdom like a master whisky distiller sharing his secret recipe. He was the Gandalf of grooming, wielding his straight razor with the finesse of a Jedi knight. His legacy lives on as we explore new shaving frontiers, daring to try even the razors recommended by grandpa's wise old friends.

So, my friend, shaving is more than just a mundane routine. It's an adventure, a ritual, and a topic that unites us in laughter and camaraderie. And who knows, maybe one day we'll discover that the most epic forum discussions revolve around the art of folding laundry or perfecting the art of microwave popcorn. Until then, let's revel in the world of shaving, where blades meet faces and laughter meets foam!

For me personally I always try to gain some knowledge and competence in things that I engage in frequently and that are important to my well being and when done poorly have a significant negative effect. Consequently I have always tried to shave well and take good care of my shaving stuff even when I was using cartridge razors and canned foam. Since getting into Traditional Wet Shaving the act of shaving and the accompanying equipment became a real area of interest and a hobby as well as something I still need to do on a regular basis. As time goes on, primarily due to B & B, I am developing an ever increasingly greater appreciation for the history, variety and nuances of Traditional Wet Shaving. After all, a great shave is always a nice thing to experience and who doesn't like all the cool tools( DE, SE, Injectors and Straight Razors) and superb products(soaps, creams, aftershaves). I think that for most people the more they know about Traditional Wet Shaving the more interested they are in the topic.

I think perhaps a lot of the appeal of B&B and the volume of discussion contained within can be explained by the fact that shaving is one of those things that a great many people do..but maybe not particluarly well. And, the price for not doing it well can range from merely annoying right through to catastrophic.

I would suggest that in an endeavor where one is encouraged to drag insanely sharp things across one's face (or other body part), the vigorous discussion and dissemination of expertise is massively useful and rises nearly to the level of a public service.

I’ve been meaning to start a thread on nail clipping.

I’ll consider joining, but only if you promise me a sub-forum on ingrown toenails.:sneaky2:

Seriously, I see nothing special about the concept of shaving forums, even though I think I may have noticed a small drop in interest (postings) in some of the shaving forums after Covid.

If you look beyond strictly body care, there are forums for watches, pens, knives, hunting, model railroading, cycling, cars, sailing, flying, or about anything else that men, and a few women too, take a keen interest in.

So why not traditional shaving with safety and straight razors, with a corner for people who spend time thinking about more recent shaving systems? After all, shaving with safety and straight razors takes a certain skillset and people might want to learn, improve, exchange tips, experiences and discoveries.

B.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
There are over 2 billion men in the world who regularly shave. That is far more than those who own motor vehicles. Is it any wonder that shaving is a popular topic?

Maybe a better question to ponder would be why are cars such a topic?

Last edited:

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
There are over 2 billion men in the world who regularly shave. That is far more than those who own motor vehicles. Is it any wonder that shaving is a popular topic?

Maybe a better question to ponder would be why are cars such a topic?
1.446 billion vehicles. That's a few cars.

Because shaving has lots of variables! The different razors, blades, gaps, exposures, materials, brushes, soaps, etc..
Lots of things involved that would make it a bonified hobby. And it's something that normally is a chore to most. Through the hobby we've discovered that it can actually be an enjoyable activity.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Some things, like showering and nail clipping, are obviously fairly easy to perform very well (although I'm sure there is a world of bath soaps that would require some expertise to understand well).

Other things can be performed in a terribly mediocre fashion and still satisfy many. If you don't believe me visit a golf course driving range for 3 minutes. But some of us are not satisfied with mediocre (sometimes at the expense of our joy when it comes to golf).

Then there's people like me: nothing is too good for me. I have a good brush. If you've got a better choice for me I want to know all about it. Better fountain pen? Why shouldn't I have it?

Then there's shaving, which can produce blood when done poorly, not to mention stubble left on the face. Why should a fine example of a human like myself be forced to suffer the slings and arrows of a poor shaving experience???? The very concept is ridiculous. And the answer is B&B!
You sound like a man with an incredibly handsome face my friend! We must be related.

Top Bottom