What's new

Why is hanging better than paddle?

No, I'm not talking about corporal punishment.

It's generally accepted by everyone here including myself, that a hanging strop is preferred over a paddle strop. For straights anyway.

I'm curious about the reason why. The physics of it, the trigonometry.

I suspect it's something to do with how a hang creates a curve and allows the leather to curl up and reach the tip of the tip of the edge. But that's just speculation.

Anybody have anything solid on this? Or interesting speculation?

No, I'm not talking about corporal punishment.

It's generally accepted by everyone here including myself, that a hanging strop is preferred over a paddle strop. For straights anyway.

I'm curious about the reason why. The physics of it, the trigonometry.

I suspect it's something to do with how a hang creates a curve and allows the leather to curl up and reach the tip of the tip of the edge. But that's just speculation.

Anybody have anything solid on this? Or interesting speculation?
Speculation:
Paddle strop have a certain amount of cushion "built in". It allows for some curvature, and the amount of curvature is controlled mostly by the amount of pressure applied. In hanging strops, you control the curvature both by pressure against the strop, and amount of pull applied to the strop. It has the most control options.

I would agree with what you wrote on the whole, however, it is also important to distinguish between paddles where the wood is glued to a solid piece of board and paddles which allow for some flex of the leather, be it by variable tension (a loom strop) or underlying felt or sponge material or slots cut into the paddle board itself. The latter function more like a hanging strop while the first perhaps works best with knives as the angle there can be controlled irrespective of the solid board's rigidity.

In France, where I spend a lot of time, people seem to appreciate paddle strops more than in the States. To use them effectively, it seems that one has to apply a bit more pressure with a lateral bias than in using a hanging strop at the start, before easing up with some final length-wise passes. The result from adding pressure at the start is that fewer passes are needed than with a hanging strop.

I like that idea of the sponge material under the leather. Have not heard that before.

I also like the idea of starting with higher pressure and then lessening. Much like honing when going up a progression.

I should just make a paddle and see if I like it.

It would certainly make travelling easier. I currently use a nani12 for maintaining one of my razors. I give it ten light laps every saturday morning. The problem with it is that it is very thin. I have to be careful to keep my fingertips out of the way. I am thinking about gluing a 3/4 inch acrylic base to the back of it, to make it easier to handle.

But heck, if I'm going to do that, then maybe glue sponge, like a piece of yoga mat, to the back of the acrylic and then leather to the sponge. Then I have one handy tool that works well for home or travel....

But getting back to the original question, yeah, it looks like the answer is that the metal edge sinks down into the soft leather, so the leather curves up and reaches the tip of the tip of the edge. A hard rock can't do that.

I use mouse pad material under the leather. Gives a bit of cushion and spring to the strop. In some cases I prefer a bench strop to a hanging strop.

I have a SRD paddle strop that has some give build into the wood design. I also have Mastro Livi loom strops. Without question, the Livi loom strop is the best way to go. He uses a leather that has no rival in feel or performance plus his linen treated with Crox is amazing for finishing or restoring. You can adjust the tension, but he recommends the tension to be drum tight. I have some of the best hanging strops but they can't compare to the Livi.

Are they?
It's generally accepted by everyone here including myself, that a hanging strop is preferred over a paddle strop.

Is it?

Sometimes I wonder whether most people start with a hanging strop and then just keep using this type more out of habit than anything else.

Along the way on my journey, I picked up a Strop-It Supex 77 paddle strop with exchangeable plattens.

Having used hanging strops for years, I didn’t care much for the Supex 77 at first but when I spent more time with it after a year or so, I quite started to like it.
I do my stropping before the shave at my desk in the study where the Supex 77 is a perfect tool, even though I still keep my Scrupleworks hanging strop in the bathroom for a few, quick laps after the shave. You use the Supex 77 pretty much in the same way that you use a similarly sized loom strop. It only requires a small change in technique and a novice may appreciate (except for the price) that he runs less of a risk to damage this kind of strop than a hanging strop.

There are a variety of plattens to choose from and the built is first rate. The plattens are supported on each end like a bridge span, held in place by small magnets, which gives the plattens the right amount of flex. It is a well thought-out system and I even have the box that holds the paddle plus several plattens, which makes the whole set an elegant and practical solution.

The Strop-It Supex 77 is a French product that was also distributed by Thiers-Issard at one stage, but is still available from several other sellers.

Hope this helps...

B.

Last edited:
I agree with @Brutus. I used paddle strops for 15 or 20 years before I got my first hanging strop and even then I used the first one for paste. The Strop-It strop is fantastic - great selection of beds - and a nice length and width to get a full stroke.The napped leather is exactly how I prepare mine with a very fine grain, not suede, which is a much better surface for finer pastes.

There is a difference in technique with a flat strop in my experience. On my final leather I always keep mine well dressed. On a hanging leather strop, I keep it clean. On the hanging strop I am waiting for the draw to increase to know that the razor is shave ready on a paddle it's the opposite, it is when the draw loosens that I know that the razor is there.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm a newbie to the SR (140 SR shaves), but I don't accept the premise.

I have and use both types of strops.

Professional Strop.Tan.JPG ProfessionalStrop.Side.Brown..JPG

The two sided Professional Strop is my favorite.

That said, I am not arguing about it because I don't know enough to argue. My experience may teach me otherwise over time, but I really like this strop. Not that I don't like my newish horsehide hanging strop just fine.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Hanging is better because it is what I use and what I am familiar with. :)

If your used to a fixed amount of give that a paddle provides for a given pressure, you'll liked paddles more.

Hanging is more convenient, takes up less space and , for me, has better ergonomics. Faster too. I can usually get 50 laps in about 20 seconds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
On the hanging strop I am waiting for the draw to increase to know that the razor is shave ready on a paddle it's the opposite, it is when the draw loosens that I know that the razor is there.

That's not something I was aware of, but using my hanging horsehide a few minutes ago I noticed what you're talking about. The draw did increase. I've never noticed that on the Professional Strop (paddle of sorts).

Hanging is more convenient, takes up less space and , for me, has better ergonomics. Faster too. I can usually get 50 laps in about 20 seconds.

Faster-Than-a-.jpg

I'm impressed. I can roll the edge just thinking about how fast you're going.

That said, I'm faster on the hanging strop, too, but I enjoy the Professional Strop more.

Not a big deal in any case as long as I have time. Since my shaves are so slow I have to make time for the whole process. The stropping takes a minor amount of time comparatively.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Lol. I’ve seen faster. One poster was spot on with the feedback. With hanging strops you get a ton of tactile feedback. You can get to the point that you can actually know how keen your razor is. It’s a great cue to tell you when your razor needs a touch up or if you have honed it correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Although I have both, I prefer hanging strops for speed and convenience. From a performance perspective the paddle strop is probably better as you don't worry about tension and it follows the razor geometry much better. I recommend these for folks that don't have the hanging strop thing down just yet. Just less variables to trip up your stropping results. I agree that there is more tactile feedback with hanging strops they talk to you in some obscure way. Barbers were masters of the hanging strop and I believe the paddle strop was probably developed for home use, as a sure fire way to a similar result.

Top Bottom