What's new

Why High End?

I'm typically willing to pay more as long as I feel I'm getting more: e.g. fit, finish, function. There's a certain pride of ownership that comes with owning and using a more refined product as well, at least for me. I do have my limits, though, as I expect most people do. Some area's of my life I'm willing to spend on, others less so.

I'm reminded of the old adage, "Pay for quality and you only cry once." Or words to that effect.

If you troll the DE forum you’ll find consistent high praise for the Gillette Tech. Whether paired w a Feather for a more aggressive shave or w a host of other blades for milder shaves, comments indicate a high degree of satisfaction for a majority of those who comment.
A cruise through Etsy or the Bay shows hundreds of these razors available for $15-20 and many antique shops sell them for $5 or less. I found my first Tech in a drawer for nothing.
Given the consensus that it is a great razor, it’s general ubiquity and modest cost, why don’t we all use one, or a SuperSpeed or Schick injector with similar universal approval and low cost?
I see many comments concerning the Wolfman. If you go to their website you’ll see that the cheapest model costs $200 and is not available. They actually offer for sale a titanium model (also not available) for $650. !!!!
If you’re a high-end fan attracted to such products, can you explain to a rube like me WHY? What makes a product like the Wolfman or other high-end razors desirable?
I’m not picking on the Wolfman or those who like them. I’m simply trying to understand the attraction. I am equally mystified by consumers who prefer expensive watches, luxury cars, etc
30 years ago, I shaved with a Gillette (think it was a tech, but honestly can’t remember) and Gillette Blue Blades. I did a one pass shave with Gillette Foamy canned shave cream, and looked at shaving as a chore. I then went to a Gillette Sensor Excel and shaved with it until this past February. At that point I had no idea where my Gillette DE razor had gotten off to, so I picked up a Chinese Razor with Dorco blades at Walmart and a tub of TOBS and a brush from Amazon. My first few shaves were not pleasant, and I decided that a razor that held the blade more rigid would help.

I purchased a Rockwell 6S for $80 for two reasons. First I had read on this board that it held the blade more rigid. Secondly I wanted a heritage razor. Something I could hand down to my grandson and possibly he could hand down to his son. To me, $80 was a lot of money for a razor, but if it made shaving more comfortable, it would be worth it. It did make shaving more pleasurable and I believe it was worth it.

I have since purchased two Gillette razors on eBay, one was a 1939 Gillette New Long Comb, the other a 1952 Gillette Super Speed. Both razors did a good job, but neither razor came close to the Rockwell for comfort and efficiency.

In this case, it was truly a case of I got what I paid for, and I’m happy with my purchases. Had I not taken the chance on the Rockwell, I would have never experienced the comfort level it affords. I would have been left to think that the Gillette level of performance was all that there was.

Sometimes in life you have to take a chance.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
If you have the money and want a great razor people will slap the money down and they are happy. That is the financial system we like to live with is my guess.
But folks who buy a fancy razor and their technique is not matured yet will never shave better than a person who has his technique dialed in with his $30.00 razor. But give the person who does have his technique dialed in, when he uses the fancy razor he will just love the razor because he will or should get a stellar shave and more than likely want to buy one down the road. That is the way us North Americans think IMO.

Last edited:
Please have a look at this chart for an interesting insight. Notice that wages have been stagnant for decades while at the same time productivity has increased greatly. In earlier decades, productivity growth resulted in rising wages for all. Why has this changed? The answer is social policies have changed to encourage this inequitable income distriibution.

View attachment 1173253
This illustrates my point perfectly. During this time inflation has seen to it that prices have gone up and the standard of living has fallen. So where’s the money going? Why are we not all benifiting from the increased productivity. The worst part is the downward spiral is self perpetuating.

Look I know that I can’t save the world by buying a strop from Tony Miller at Heirloom or Alastair at Westholme. I have no idea how many staff Ralf Aust, Blackland or Timeless have on the books or what they pay them. Simpson and Shavemac aren’t exactly one man bands either. I could have got cheaper and it probably would have worked just as well. I spent more because I like the product, I believe the price is fair, I bought direct so as much money as possible went to the manufacturer, I could afford it and I feel good about what I got and where my money has gone. So yeah to me it was worth it.

Last edited:
I too am familiar with Veblen's theory, but when it comes to buying tools and appliances, I have my own. First, don't buy the very cheapest model or the luxury gold-plated model in the velvet-lined hardwood box. Instead, buy a standard, popular model that's been a best-seller for years, even as cheaper knockoffs have come along. Usually that will be good enough. If it isn't, figure out why, and do some research to find a model that doesn't have that shortcoming. If that has to be an expensive luxury model, so be it.

With shaving, I bought and tried a number of moderately priced popular razors of different designs to see which type worked best for me. Having figured that out, I used that one, the Merkur 34C, for some time. But it has a zamak head and likely isn't a lifetime purchase. So when something similar came out in stainless steel, the Rockwell 6S, I waited to see what the first adopters would think of it. They liked it, so I got that. I suspect Timeless would be a good choice for me, but as a dropper, loser, leaver behind in hotels and banger against sinks of razors, I think the high end is not for me. YMMV.

Personal preference. I, for eg. prefer highly effective razors, so the high end offerings and Gillettes are not that interesting.
What makes a razor effective to you? With all the high end razors available I'm struggling to envision none of them meeting your definition of effective?

For the record, I'm more a mid-low price razor guy myself with a Razorock Mamba and Game Changer and a brass Karve C.B. From a quality of shave vs. dollars spent perspective I can see them perhaps not being exceptional(which is why I personally haven't spemt more yet than I have), but also can't see them being less effective at the actual shaving part if that makes sense?

I've read all the posts. I like the discussion. I still don't think there's a possible satisfactory answer. I am partial to diminishing returns in general. I just think that questions relating to "I like this more because ____" is already subjective. I don't think there's an objective, quantifiable answer for razors. It's very human to want or seek rational explanations. When it comes to things like preference, beauty, art, taste, Philadelphia Eagles haters, everyone has an opinion and it does not have to make sense. But, I remain open to being convinced otherwise. This plays out in the shaving soap market too. Why pay $$$ when $ works just fine?

IMHO, my Schick E2 with a Chick outshaves anything in the shaving world. I haven’t used every razor in the world but I can’t imagine how anything could be better. My Lord L5 with a Lord Plat is a very close second, slightly better or maybe tied w my Slim on “9”. I get BBS everytime using bath soap and a $4 brush. I can’t criticize those who spend more but I don’t understand it either. I think new shavers should try vintage and the bottom shelf before trying expensive gear. I think they would be pleasantly surprised. Just sayin’

Last edited:
I've read all the posts. I like the discussion. I still don't think there's a possible satisfactory answer. I am partial to diminishing returns in general. I just think that questions relating to "I like this more because ____" is already subjective. I don't think there's an objective, quantifiable answer for razors. It's very human to want or seek rational explanations. When it comes to things like preference, beauty, art, taste, Philadelphia Eagles haters, everyone has an opinion and it does not have to make sense. But, I remain open to being convinced otherwise. This plays out in the shaving soap market too. Why pay $$$ when $ works just fine?
Well, I want a smooth, close, comfortable shave, and I don't want blood dripping down my face. Is that subjective? Maybe in part. I do hate the Philadelphia Eagles, and that, I admit, is entirely subjective, in fact, not something I can readily explain.

I did not mean to criticize consumers’ choices. I only asked why.

To me it's just because I enjoy shaving and using a variety of razors. I like mild razors. And my $10 techs shave every bit as good as the $160 feather AS D2, the $100 Rockwell 6S, and $60 razorock game changer i also own. The shaves on those razors are all good but the weight, balance and shaving experience are all distinctly different. I enjoy them all almost equally as well as a few other vintage razors like the super speed.

I do draw my own personal line at about $200. I'm in a good financial position and could afford what I want. But paying above $200 just seems absurd to me. Especially when I know the $10 simple ball end tech will shave just as well. In fact a few years ago i bought an expensive Timeless. I ended up sending it back for that very reason. Others think differently and that's fine. Everyone is different.

Ours is not a rational hobby. To answer the OP’s question, there are several reasons, IMHO, people spend so much on shaving—including purchasing expensive razors. Sense of community, love of beautiful things, respect for history and tradition are among them. And, yes, conspicuous consumption no doubt plays a role as well. (I read Veblen’s the Theory of the Leisure Class in grad school.)

I read elsewhere on the forum something to the effect of a 34c, Astra blades, Proraso, and an Omega boar is really all anyone “needs,” and there is a certain logic to that.

That said, I really enjoy shaving with my Wolfman razors—and I’ll admit it’s not entirely rational. I do think my WR2 shaves much better than most of the other razors I’ve tried. There are a few less expensive razors among my favorites as well—the Goodwill 160 and the R41 for example. The Wolfman is such a fine piece of craftsmanship, however, and it’s hard to untangle that from the overall experience.

Last edited:
If you troll the DE forum you’ll find consistent high praise for the Gillette Tech. Whether paired w a Feather for a more aggressive shave or w a host of other blades for milder shaves, comments indicate a high degree of satisfaction for a majority of those who comment.
A cruise through Etsy or the Bay shows hundreds of these razors available for $15-20 and many antique shops sell them for $5 or less. I found my first Tech in a drawer for nothing.
Given the consensus that it is a great razor, it’s general ubiquity and modest cost, why don’t we all use one, or a SuperSpeed or Schick injector with similar universal approval and low cost?
I see many comments concerning the Wolfman. If you go to their website you’ll see that the cheapest model costs $200 and is not available. They actually offer for sale a titanium model (also not available) for $650. !!!!
If you’re a high-end fan attracted to such products, can you explain to a rube like me WHY? What makes a product like the Wolfman or other high-end razors desirable?
I’m not picking on the Wolfman or those who like them. I’m simply trying to understand the attraction. I am equally mystified by consumers who prefer expensive watches, luxury cars, etc
People like to be different, especially with hobbies where mine is bigger and more expensive than your’s hold true. This does not mean it’s better IMO. Same with brushes and even soaps that are on the other side of ridiculously expensive. Same reason people buy a rolls royce to driven to the office, purely because they can afford it but also the market is prepared to pay handsomely for these things. Generally speaking in todays world the attitude is if you are not exuberant, loud and bespoke you will not standout, other’s just want to be different and that’s perfectly fine.

IME none of these new products can keep up with the known vintage performers the community agrees on. In fact most if not all new products are copies in same shape or form of the mentioned performers utilizing expensive materials to try and differentiate themselves from all the coping....

High end razors don’t really attract me. An anecdotal example. Near the start of my shave journey I found an English ballend Gillette Tech and a cased near-mint nickel English Gillette Aristocrat at a car boot sale (yard sale might be the American term?). I paid £10 for the pair which I now know was a massive bargain. I shaved with both for a few months and much preferred the Tech - so I sold the admittedly lovely looking Aristocrat.

R

romsitsa

What makes a razor effective to you? With all the high end razors available I'm struggling to envision none of them meeting your definition of effective?

For the record, I'm more a mid-low price razor guy myself with a Razorock Mamba and Game Changer and a brass Karve C.B. From a quality of shave vs. dollars spent perspective I can see them perhaps not being exceptional(which is why I personally haven't spemt more yet than I have), but also can't see them being less effective at the actual shaving part if that makes sense?

Almost all contemporary razors use "classic" head dimensions, like an Old type or Tech with variations in blade gap.
My preferences have narrower base plates or the safety bar has a steeper curve (bar is smooth or scalloped or the teeth are rounded), the blade is clamped close to its edge. The closet thing still in production is the Ikon Tech.

Joncr, I understand your point. If there is a functional difference between razors it is rational to choose the better performer. But when there is no significant functional difference why choose the high-end product?
A good question, I can only answer for myself. The expensive razors I have purchased were bought in expectation they functioned differently than any other razor I have in my den. So I go the AS-D2 because it was very mild but a closer shaver than other mild razors, I got the R41 because it was one of the most aggressive razors, I got several Timeless because they held a blade rigidly like none other I have, I got the Progress because it was an adjustable reported to work well in all settings. I got the Rocco, 3ONE6, and Timeless Aluminum because they were also reputedly shaved differently than other razors I owned. I could go on but you get the idea. Since I think/hope with my latest purchases the Timeless Aluminum and the Razorock Gamechanger 84 I will cover the range of aggression and feel of what is out their I don’t expect to buy another, but part of me knows the that is probably untrue. I also have a number of Gillette vintage razors which were bought because they were old and reportedly shaved well, Slim, Fatboy, ( Techs I mentioned in my earlier posts) Superspeeds ( Red and Flair Tip). For those I was just curious if and how they shaved, none except the Fatboy would be considered expensive I think. Those are my reasons for purchases and I am sure some others did they same and many others bought for many other reasons. Like any functional/hobby/collector situation where some have little disposable income and some a great deal purchasing decisions are personal - involve varying priorities, and I feel can only be fairly criticized by saying I wouldn’t spend that much money for that razor, but good luck and YMMV.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I paddle in the shallow end of the pool. My aftershaves cost less than £5, and my balms and moisturisers cost less than £10. My most expensive razor cost £40, and I have yet to pay more than £15 for a brush. It's only recently that my soap/cream purchases crossed the £10 threshold, and that was only because the samples I use to add a bit of variety, worked out more expensive.

While I don't indulge in more expensive items, I can understand why people do. The quest for "best", the exclusivity of owning premium kit, the feeling of pampering oneself, even if the end result is the same as what cheaper items would achieve. Let's not forget the enablers too. How many here would not have bought their premium kit, if it wasn't for others in their social circle (this forum), having bought luxury products and shown them off with well lit pics and poetic accounts of their splendour.

For the most part, I'm immune to all that. I did 20 years with the same <£5 razor. I've bought premium kit in other interests too, and found they were frequently not worth the additional expense in terms of simply doing the job. I will buy myself something nice occasionally, I'm currently waiting on a spun pewter soap dish arriving for example. However, there's normally a valid (for me) reason for me to step up a tier or two. With the soap dish, it's something drop proof with a lid, that'll stop the sample sized portions drying out between shaves, and which doesn't look like I've just pilfered it from the kitchen.

Many high end brushes are well into three figures. I try to avoid going into double figure. I don't resent those that "aim higher" though. They're simply looking for something from their brush that I'm not. I just want to make a functional lather, but they want more than that. Likewise with razors, I don't want functional art. I don't mind buying spare parts when the zinc alloy starts to suffer. For me the shave is what we do with the kit, not the kit itself. For others, the equipments and knowing they have the best they can buy (however they personally define best), is part of the experience.

I know that my humble array gives me the best possible shaves in my hand, and that while other kit might get there differently, it will still only arrive at the same place, not anywhere better. That's enough for me. As I keep saying, I'm here for the shaving, not the shopping.

They still get dinged when you drop them on a hard surface; then you will not be so happy. You got to look after any razor.

A drop isn't good for any rszor. Still there's usually a big difference between a ding on a solid stainless razor and a ding on a razor made of Zamak. The former is usually just cosmetic. The latter will eventually be fatal if the plating is compromised.

Top Bottom