What's new

Why High End?

For me personally, I have no interest in a 40 or 50 year old razor that has been used by many people in the past whom I do not know. It is just an old used razor to me and the razor being a personal tool, I would rather get a newly made new razor in the same way as I would prefer not to have to use a second hand electric toothbrush or hairdryer.

If the razor were used by my ancestors and passed down carefully from son to son, my views would be very different towards such a razor as that would be more like a family heirloom.

As well I like the very precise tolerances that current cnc machining can achieve nowadays as well as the very high levels of hand polishing that can be shiver nowadays as well as the stainless steel and titanium materials that are now available.

I've stopped asking people about their opinion on luxurious and expensive items, because I'm aware how the human mentality works. People like to hype and brag about things that others don't have even if they don't really like them that much. I'm not saying that the high end razors are bad, but I'm also not buying the story that they are the best shavers compared to any other razor. The same can be said about pretty much everything from watches to cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldnt consider even a wolfman razor a Veblen good because demand for it would have to increase the more the price is increased and I am not convinced that is the case - at least not yet.

Check the demand being higher than the supply, thus the waiting list. It fits Veblen's definition perfectly.

Here is another case, the Birkin bag.

Yes, Veblen's explanation, the purchase decision making process plus the product / brand perception bias takes all the magic away.

Love the moderately priced offerings in almost every aspect of wet shaving. Just as previously stated the return on crazy money does not give better quality.

If you enjoy bourbon or scotch you know this to be true also.

Some people like to have the most 'beautiful' of whatever product they love. 5 years ago I bought the most beautiful watch I've ever seen which is on my wrist every day. My most beautiful car is sadly out of my budget, but I hope to have it this decade.

Beauty is subjective of course, but I have to admit a Timeless or a Wolfman razor does look very beautiful. If not for the variety of heads they offer, I'd own one. I just don't know which one would suit me.

If someone made an R41 out of Damascus steel or bronze, I'd easily pay 10 times the cost of the regular version.

If you troll the DE forum you’ll find consistent high praise for the Gillette Tech. Whether paired w a Feather for a more aggressive shave or w a host of other blades for milder shaves, comments indicate a high degree of satisfaction for a majority of those who comment.
A cruise through Etsy or the Bay shows hundreds of these razors available for $15-20 and many antique shops sell them for $5 or less. I found my first Tech in a drawer for nothing.
Given the consensus that it is a great razor, it’s general ubiquity and modest cost, why don’t we all use one, or a SuperSpeed or Schick injector with similar universal approval and low cost?
I see many comments concerning the Wolfman. If you go to their website you’ll see that the cheapest model costs $200 and is not available. They actually offer for sale a titanium model (also not available) for $650. !!!!
If you’re a high-end fan attracted to such products, can you explain to a rube like me WHY? What makes a product like the Wolfman or other high-end razors desirable?
I’m not picking on the Wolfman or those who like them. I’m simply trying to understand the attraction. I am equally mystified by consumers who prefer expensive watches, luxury cars, etc
More money than common sense

I got my vintage fix fulfilled with a handful of straights when I first got out the cart habit. As I transitioned to DE's I wanted something more bullet proof so went with a timeless ti because I knew it would be the last shaving instrument I would ever need to purchase and it has remained my one and only to this day. Paying $500 or more for a Wolfman is a bridge too far for me though I would never begrudge those who do indulge. We all have our own ideas of what constitutes a good shave or fills an aesthetic requirement.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
For me personally, I have no interest in a 40 or 50 year old razor that has been used by many people in the past whom I do not know.

I didn’t, but then I got hooked up with some Micromatics by @MyOldKentuckyHome and a post-war Tech on an auction site and now there’s an Ever Ready Shovelhead and a Gem 1912 over there that looks like the souls of the cursed didn’t find their way into its plating.

Dead people’s grody, old razors can be a treat/blessing/reward, a distraction from the CNC 316L masterpiece that locks the blade down tighter than an overly treble timpani in Fort Knox; or both.

edited for clarity

ah the ever present "Why High End" this why "Why High End" that thread. High end razors are a heck of a lot cheaper than cars and guitars! I had a nice shave today with my Wolfman Ti WR2 1.15 and my Paladin El Dorado brush. just saying...

It's kind of like asking, why would someone buy a Mercedes or BMW instead of a Toyota. There are many reasons. Razors are different though, because you keep them hidden in you bathroom and can't show them off on the streets like a car.

My Rockwell 6S wasn‘t $650 but just over $100US which I consider expensive.

i bought it as it has great reviews, is all stainless steel and looks good. I also have a bunch of old Gillettes, but the 6S shaves much better.

I am new to wetshaving with a DE, but this has been my experience so far. After a bit of research I bought a Rockwell 6S and loved it from the start. Tried a few different blades including the Rockwell ones it came with, but settled on Personna US made ones for now. A little while ago I found a K1 Gillette Slim in great shape on ebay, my "birthday" razor. The Gillette gives me a decent shave and I have found that, for me, Wilkinson Swords work the best in it so far. But I don't get as smooth or nick/irritation free a shave with the Slim as with my Rockwell 6S. The slim is in my rotation but I use the 6S much more often.

I used vintage almost exclusively for years. I had no desire to spend large sums of money for a modern razor. Vintage was delivering consistent superb shaves. I tried a few moderns in the past year as part of different pass-arounds. I discovered there is a difference in the quality of shaves some razors deliver compared to others. I've know that for a long time with vontage razors. I discovered this past year that statement holds true when comparing modern to vintage. Vintage is so much better than some moderns. Some moderns are so much better than vintage.

This is part of the enjoyment this pastime provides. Discovering different gear that helps me achieve a more enjoyable shave. I now have a couple of modern razors in my den that are providing some of the best shaves I've ever had. However, a couple of my vintage razors continue to give me excellent, very enjoyable shaves. Variety is good, in my book.

So to summarize. There is a difference in razors. Whether it is vintage, or modern, I seek the razors that give me the best shave.

Top Bottom