What's new

Why High End?

The value (scalar desirability) of human "things" has always been variable, and likely always will be. Ever since Arg built a "better" stone axe. Function for purpose, rarity (real or artificial), perceived "beauty," perceived "quality." Gold as a metal, of itself, has little intrinsic value except for industrial uses. But its immutability, its workability and perceived beauy, and its relative scarcity have made it valuable to humans once they were past the survival stage of evolution. To chimpanzees or dogs, it's not as valuable or desirable as a banana or a lambchop. It's all a matter of perspective.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
In my opinion, nothing shaves like a highly engineered high end razor made with top shelf materials. I have Wolfman, Timeless, Charcoal Goods and others. However, there is also no substitute for the massive mojo factor of shaving with a vintage razor that may have been through the world wars, or one that was made during my birth quarter. Shaving with a Toggle or Hybrid Tech is a real treat. Using a Psych Tech prison razor is a wonderous adventure. Using a Gem that is 100 plus years old is amazing. I love them all. But when it comes down to it, the high end modern stuff just shaves that much better. And that's my opinion. So ymmv.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
In my opinion, nothing shaves like a highly engineered high end razor made with top shelf materials. I have Wolfman, Timeless, Charcoal Goods and others. However, there is also no substitute for the massive mojo factor of shaving with a vintage razor that may have been through the world wars, or one that was made during my birth quarter. Shaving with a Toggle or Hybrid Tech is a real treat. Using a Psych Tech prison razor is a wonderous adventure. Using a Gem that is 100 plus years old is amazing. I love them all. But when it comes down to it, the high end modern stuff just shaves that much better. And that's my opinion. So ymmv.

Amen, Brother Brad! :)

I wish I could get a BBS in one pass but, but on my old face with my gray, chaotic barbed wire beard, no razor will give me any better than SAS with one pass and CCS with two passes.

Of currently manufactured razors, my favorite (at least this week ;)) seems to be the Blackland Razors Vector OC (definitely a High End razor).

Big however, though, is that I can get thoroughly enjoyable DFS -> BBS (not quite BBS in the "Fool's Pass" area) results using any of my Top Tier (currently manufactured and vintage) razors with three passes plus some touch-up. No nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

The razor I use depends on my mood.

YMMV :)

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I would consider paying more than I paid for my EJ DE89 for the security of stainless steel rather than pot metal. I like the way the DE89 shaves, comfortable and close.

I would consider paying more than I paid for my EJ DE89 for the security of stainless steel rather than pot metal. I like the way the DE89 shaves, comfortable and close.
They still get dinged when you drop them on a hard surface; then you will not be so happy. You got to look after any razor.

My most expensive buys to date were vintage in the 120-150 dollar range - so I fell for (perceived) scarcity :c9: . My most expensive contemporary razor in comparison is a Merkur Progress at 60 bucks - panic buy due to the insolvency of Dovo/Merkur.

I do like SS in a handle for the weight but I’m completely indifferent to the whole Zamak/Brass/SS/etc. discussion. I’m not likely to wear anything out be it pot metal or adamantium and if an accident happens then there will be a replacement in one way or the other...

It is a hobby as any other and comparably modest in comparison to firearms, mechanical watches, Single Malts or HI-FI/Vinyl.

The only difference between men and boys is the size of their shoes and the price of their toys.

For me it’s not about performance or status symbols. It’s that these objects are tiny little sculptures, each a variation on the same theme, and all the more interesting since they perform a specific function that most people take for granted, or even resent having to take part in.

There are plenty of inexpensive razors that appeal to me as design objects, and the Tech is one of them. I love it’s elegant minimalism. Conversely, some of the contemporary high end models do nothing at all for me. But others, for example the Timeless Bronze, are exquisite.

Plenty of razors across the price spectrum can give a fantastic shave. But some of them are diminutive pieces of art containing a dangerously sharp blade that I get to intimately interact with on a daily basis. They give me something to look forward to and enjoy.

Of the opinions offered, I think Atlantic 59 and old Thorsten Veblen came closest to explaining the counterintuitive preference for more expensive products that are not functionally better. Jack J’s description of razors as “tiny sculpture “ is, perhaps, the best noncounterintuitive explanation. Nice discussion

I have some high end and a few ultra rare razors in my rotation.

As far as performance when compared to my mid and lower cost razors, I really don’t see a real difference in shave quality with my high end and rare examples. What I do see is a big difference in workmanship and materials.

Bottom line is that my high end razors are usually a lot prettier.

YMMV

If you shave daily, you can get a good, even great shave with pretty much anything. Why high end? Because it's a hobby and people enjoy these razors. But, for the most part, you can get an awesome BBS from an old injector, for example. Which you can buy in your favorite antique shop for $8. Or if you get more fancy, you can get a Feather SS Straight/Shavette for around $60 and mow down any kind of growth with ease, and this could be the only razor you're ever going to need.

Interesting discussion. I’ve certainly spent more on my shaving products than strictly required. Why? It’s a fair question.

I suppose I’ve developed an interest in the process and the tools. I like to have things that mean something to me. I value craftsmanship, materials, tradition, innovation and supporting people that do good work and care about what they do. Is $250 a lot for a razor or a brush? Of course it is. But it’s also right that the people that took the time to design and make these spectacular products receive a fair wage for their efforts. I don’t have the same connection with mass produced factory or sweat shop items. I get no joy out of screwing the last cent out of someone and putting them on the poverty line. An obsession with the lowest possible price is a race to the bottom that will ultimately benefit no one. This mentality is already doing great damage to our society and culture around the world. We need to aim higher and do better.

Vintage items are interesting and often have historical significance. I have a couple vintage items for these reasons but we can’t survive on these relics for ever. We need to support each other in the modern day and maintain a skills bases for tomorrow.

I know the names of many of the people that made my razors, strops, brushes and even a few soaps. I’ve spoken to these guys and they have made custom orders for me. That kind of service is special to me. I feel more connected to the products and the world through the process.

I don’t need lost of stuff but I like to get good stuff where I can. I personally prefer to have a small number of items that will last me through the years and than a pile of disposable junk that I have no connection with.

...Is $250 a lot for a razor or a brush? Of course it is. But it’s also right that the people that took the time to design and make these spectacular products receive a fair wage for their efforts. I don’t have the same connection with mass produced factory or sweat shop items. I get no joy out of screwing the last cent out of someone and putting them on the poverty line. An obsession with the lowest possible price is a race to the bottom that will ultimately benefit no one. This mentality is already doing great damage to our society and culture around the world. We need to aim higher and do better.
It is not necessary to screw people over to make things at a reasonable price. This is the real meaning and purpose of productivity and productivity growth over time. Our society's huge growth in productivity could, in theory, allow all to benefit by making the necessities of life cheap and giving people more leisure time for other pursuits than work. The fact that the people at the very top reap the majority of the benefits from the productivity growth of everyone in the economic system is a social choice, not an economic necessity.

Thorstein Veblen said as much over a hundred years ago.

It is not necessary to screw people over to make things at a reasonable price. This is the real meaning and purpose of productivity and productivity growth over time. Our society's huge growth in productivity could, in theory, allow all to benefit by making the necessities of life cheap and giving people more leisure time for other pursuits. The fact that the people at the very top reap the majority of the benefits from the productivity growth of everyone in the economic system is a social choice, not an economic necessity.

Thorstein Veblen said as much over a hundred years ago.
It is an economic reality that big mass producers do everything they can to keep production cost down and offer low prices to customers to remain competitive. Keeping wages as low as possible is a big part of this. Capitalism is not a perfect system. That’s why we have minimum wage, trade unions and tariffs. A small start up machinist or artisan of handmade goods working in one of the countries that I like to live in and my my friends like to live in has no chance to compete on cost alone. I like to support the products, people and places I like. To some that may not make any sense. To me it makes perfect sense.

Last edited:
It is an economic reality that big mass producers do everything they can to keep production cost down and offer low prices to customers to remain competitive. Keeping wages as low as possible is a big part of this. Capitalism is not a perfect system. A small start up machinist or artisan of handmade goods working in one of the countries that I like to live in and my my friends like to live in has no chance to compete on cost alone. I like to support the products, people and places I like. To some that may not make any sense. To me it makes perfect sense.

Please have a look at this chart for an interesting insight. Notice that wages have been stagnant for decades while at the same time productivity has increased greatly. In earlier decades, productivity growth resulted in rising wages for all. Why has this changed? The answer is social policies have changed to encourage this inequitable income distriibution.

Screenshot from 2020-10-24 19-26-25.png

Top Bottom