What's new

Why High End?

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I had my current razor before I came to Badger and Blade. The shaving items on my sink counter are not seen by anyone other than my wife, who does not care. I am one of the rare participants here with only one razor. I have a penchant for penury. So the Veblen hypothesis may not be strictly applicable, there being, historically at least, no conspicuousness to my consumption of razors. Since joining here and posting my daily shave, I am now in a world where others may see what I have. Veblen creeps in. Is my DE89 good enough? What does it say about me? Should I consider a classic Gilette (even though I used one forty years ago and did not love it)? As I noted above, I would like a stainless razor, but which one? I am wary of dropping $100 or more and buying a razor I do not like as well as my EJ DE89, which BTW I like much better than the Merkur 23C long handle which I disliked and it replaced. The Merkur replaced an old Henckels straight, and it followed a Wilkinson Sword single blade cartridge, which followed my first razor, a Schick injector. That is about a decade per razor, but the Schick, the Wilkinson, and the Merkur were much shorter runs. All the old razors are gone.

Also, FWIW even though this is about razors, I did drop some cash on my brush, a Kent BK4. It replaced a Crabtree & Evelyn badger that served me well for thirty years. The BK4 was a splurge but has been an immensely better brush, providing backbone for lathering but softness on the face. Other than this forum no one will ever know, but I love it and am pretty sure I'll never get another shaving brush.

So for me the "why" is really about finding the item that will work well for me and last, hopefully FFE, so that I can have a pleasant shave, a smooth face, and ultimately an extremely low cost per shave.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I have both a Gillette Tech and a Wolfman. I was an early adopter, so the Wolfman only cost me about $155 USD (still a fair piece of change).

Your question is timely as just a couple of days ago I read a post about the Tech and realized I hadn't used mine since a vacation maybe 3 years ago, so I got it out and put in a new blade.

For the past 5 years I've used the Wolfman at home 99% of the time. The shave is more efficient, more comfortable, and the BBS lasts longer through the day. My shave with the Tech was OK, but not compared to the Wolfman. I think if I used it every day for a while it would get a little better, but that's simply not going to happen.

Would I purchase a $300+ razor I have not tried today? Probably not. But if I lost my Wolfman (it does not travel with me) I would be begging James for a replacement before the sun set.

If you troll the DE forum you’ll find consistent high praise for the Gillette Tech. Whether paired w a Feather for a more aggressive shave or w a host of other blades for milder shaves, comments indicate a high degree of satisfaction for a majority of those who comment...

In honor of your post I shaved with my pre-war Tech today, wishing for something on the mild side. Using a BIC Chrome Platinum, I got a nice, comfortable shave. It took a bit more effort than the $20 Fatip Piccolo, but no complaints. I think I paid $10 for this razor awhile back.

People who like nicely made things will buy higher end items.

People put values on different types of items which mirror their interests and likes.

To some, a Craftsman ratchet is perfectly serviceable and does the job. For others an 80 tooth Snap-on ratchet is an easy choice as they value the minutiae of what higher cost and better, more precisely made things, bring with them to the owner.

(former Snap-on dealer here)

A man may own a Wolfman and praise it for being an incredible tool and worth the expense and also own Stanley screwdrivers. He values the razor and what it means to his enjoyment but does not value the experience of tightening a screw.

Another may love his black handled Super Speed because it does an acceptable job and he isn‘t interested in the exponential curve of what further cost/performance will offer. He may own a 911 to commute in because he values what if offers in driving experience over a Camry...no matter that they both get to the parking lot....well when the Porsche isn’t in the shop.

People spend money on what is important to them, not us.

Last edited:
I just started wet shaving, but it should be like everything else . You get diminishing return in investment the highest amount you pay.
Between using a DE blade with your bare hands and using a $2.69 Gillette Super Blue, the difference is night and day.
Between using the Gillette super blue and the best $40 razor, there will be a great difference.
Between using a 40$ razor and the best $300 razor, the difference will be noticeable and appreciated only by the experienced.

I don't see the difference between a $15 and a $150 bottle of wine, but others see and appreciate the difference. I guess it's the same with razor.

The most important is you don't need to get into the hype of getting more and more expensive razor as I've read many testimonials that even if they have $300 to $600 razors, people keep getting back to their FATIP, their 34C or their vintage Gillette and chose those as their daily drivers.

However, if you see wet shaving as a hobby and want to try a variety of shaving experience and you have the money to do it, why not spoiling yourself with the $600 razor you want so much?

To each his own. I know that in my case, even if I would end up noticing a difference and could financially afford it, I would never feel comfortable spending that much in a razor. Otherwise, I would feel guilt during each and every shave knowing that people are starving and I have other perfectly usable razors in my cabinet.

Please don't see this as I pass judgement on others as I don't. I am cursed as I always had a hard time dealing with the way I spend money. The fact that I know that people pay as low as $4 for vintage Gillette Tech razor prevent me from wanting to spend $30 with shipping for one, even if it might be better than a $30 razor I would purchase elsewhere.

Not everyone wants to shave with a used razor. Some are germophobes or simply want a razor that is new and has never been used by someone else.
Part of the allure of high-end is the status of it too and how well-craft and customizable they are. With a Super Speed, you kind of got what you got. With a 3-piece, you can swap out to whatever handle you want and theres different top cap and base plate options that allow you to customize the razor to whatever you want.

I bought a Wolfman because I wanted one, and I’m keeping it because I like it.

I also just really appreciate the quality, material, and overall craftsmanship, and I’m impressed with the design of the WR2 head.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I don't own a Wolfman (yet), but do consider the Blackland, Charcoal Goods, Timeless, Karve, Rex, Colonial and probably others in my Den to be High End. :)

YMMV :)

High-end (if we mean expensive) razors can be modern or vintage. Modern high-end razors provide modern materials such as titanium and stainless steel (and black oxide finish) with modern designs and craftsmanship (CNC). To take your tech example, compare it with a polished stainless steel wolfman. They will shave, look and feel different. They will also have a different story to tell: the history of the vintage razor versus the modern craftsman razor. I won't say which is better (it's the Wolfman) but just point out how they differ. Our highly informed members can then decide which they prefer.

I don't have much insight into high-end vintage razors except that it's supply and demand and Darwin razors look really cool and sound like nice shavers.

I don't buy the Veblen theory at least as presented here. I don't think I would gain any social capital for owning a high-end razor. First of all, no one will know unless they visit my bathroom. Secondly I would expect my acquaintances to be more confused rather than impressed if they knew how much my razor costs (you, OP, took the time to create a membership on a forum devoted to shaving and are asking the question so how would I expect my random coworker to feel?). More significantly, I think we have seen a flattening with a lot of consumer goods. It is not unlikely that Jeff Bezos has the same phone as an Amazon warehouse worker. Furthermore, Bezos is going to be distinguishing himself with his private jet, not his razor.

People like to be different, especially with hobbies where mine is bigger and more expensive than your’s hold true. This does not mean it’s better IMO. Same with brushes and even soaps that are on the other side of ridiculously expensive. Same reason people buy a rolls royce to driven to the office, purely because they can afford it but also the market is prepared to pay handsomely for these things. Generally speaking in todays world the attitude is if you are not exuberant, loud and bespoke you will not standout, other’s just want to be different and that’s perfectly fine.

IME none of these new products can keep up with the known vintage performers the community agrees on. In fact most if not all new products are copies in same shape or form of the mentioned performers utilizing expensive materials to try and differentiate themselves from all the coping....
While I agree with your basic point, I don't think today's DE razors are all necessarily inferior to their vintage ancestors. The community here has plenty of people on both sides of that issue. The existence of luxury DE razors is a different issue, and it isn't surprising, as I think it's the same idea as that behind luxury watches, scotch, cigars and a number of other things of that sort. Those things don't much interest me at this point in my life, and perhaps they don't interest you either, but that doesn't mean there aren't legitimate reasons to have those interests, other than the mere desire to be different.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
A lot said by many members. If you're looking for a razor that's cheap, but shaves like a $200+ razor...consider the Fatip Open Comb Slant. Costs between $30-$40.

Also, Karve makes an excellent razor, quality, machined...but, in my opinion, reasonably priced. If you buy the base plate and top cap and throw it on a West Coast Shaving handle...beautiful razor at a reasonable price.

Well, yes it’s personal preference but that doesn’t quite explain it. Why does a person prefer it? If a razor costing $x and a razor costing $10 x provide great shaves why prefer the latter?
And it’s not as if the Techs and SuperSpeeds and classic Schicks aren’t well made and durable. I shave w a 100 year old Gillette that has at least another 100 years left in it. So, why high-end?
I'm currently in PT at a Rehab facility after surgery, so little cans of foam and the blue double-edge disposables are all I have access to for a shave.
While,with some extra effort I can get a multi-pass BBS shave, there's no charm in the shave without my favorite Vintage Gillette and whipping up a dense, rich lather with my choice of the day for a brush and soap.
So, enjoy a more pleasant shave with that favorite Vintage or that Spendy hi-end modern razor. It'll give you the shave you seek if you only do yoir part.

People like what they like and if they can afford it, they like it even better.:)

I use a Gillette Old Style open comb and it does the job for me. I'm not particularly into DE razors even though I use one most days. I have a few (9) vintage straight razors that I like the looks of and I enjoy shaving with them from time to time.

I drive an older Toyota Corolla (it's functional). Yet if I decide that I want a a straight razor or a guitar that is sought after currently (which will drive the price up) I might buy it just because I can and I want it.

If it's too much then it's a turn off even if I can afford it but if I really want it, can afford it, and it's available I might buy it. It doesn't have to be any more logical than that.

I have one $15 boar brush, I don't care about brushes. I have 10 soaps because they are a little more interesting to me. It's the same with the straight razors. Initially i bought them for less than $20 each but over time I sold them all and bought a few nicer looking (to me) vintage razors.

It's the same with art supplies, guitars. Once I know more about a subject I might buy more than I actually need. I don't do if for status and no one knows what I have and I don't consider them status items anyway. It's just a fun hobby.

In general I'm fairly frugal and I invest a lot and spend a little.

Eben Stone

Staff member
Im not a philosopher. But a little causal observation about people's spending habits can tell you a lot.

There are probably hundreds of categories that people fall into based on spending habits. Here are the top 3 that I've noticed:

1) Some people find happiness the easy way: they are happy with what they already have, and they seldom acquire new things, and when they do its out of necessity, their choices driven by function over fashion. Obtaining new things does not necessarily give them joy, they are already happy. If they own something exquisite its probably a gift.

2) Others find happiness while "chasing the dragon." It is the exciement of obtaining something new, or unique, or exquisite, that gives them (momentary?) pleasure. Maybe that pleasure in obtaining a specific item lasts a few days then wears off, maybe a few years. Regardless, they will eventually obtain yet another (technically unnecessary) desirable item because it makes them happy.

3) And others, regardless with what they have, will never be happy. Unfortunately, they are already unhappy, and obtaining new things does not seem to bring them joy.

I think most people are a mix of all three, depending on what type of items (ex: someone might have different opinions about how much money is reasonable to spend on their shoes, or their car, or the mattress they sleep on). I think most are dominantly #2 without realizing it.

Someone might buy a high end razor because they are #2 and obtaining it and/or using it makes them happy. The more unique, exquisite craftsmanship, materials, and actually provides a better shave, the better.

Or maybe they just want an awesome razor.

Last edited:
PDillon, I think you misinterpreted Veblen’s theory: even though your high-end razor never leaves the privacy of your bathroom, he would argue your desire for that purchase was motivated by the concept of “luxury”; what made it attractive to you was its rarity, exclusivity and unavailability to persons of lesser means, not its intrinsic utility. Or so Veblen might have said.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I don't own a Wolfman (yet), but do consider the Blackland, Charcoal Goods, Timeless, Karve, Rex, Colonial and probably others in my Den to be High End. :)

YMMV :)
You will get one some day. It’s inevitable for guys like us that collect these high end razors. When I got mine, I immediately sold my Blackbird. It’s that good. The Karve might be next. 😎🤘🏻 The Timeless or Charcoal Goods? never!

Top Bottom