What's new

Why does a $5 Lord L6 shave so well?

I would very fine paying $12-$15 dollars for one with better construction.
That seems to be the sweet spot for popularly priced razors with good quality construction, finish/chroming. All three of mine were in that range including my King C. Gillette for around $12 during a holiday sale.

The two times I experimented with something under $10 (not including a sale price) the razor had issues that made it unusable for me.

That seems to be the sweet spot for popularly priced razors with good quality construction, finish/chroming. All three of mine were in that range including my King C. Gillette for around $12 during a holiday sale.

The two times I experimented with something under $10 (not including a sale price) the razor had issues that made it unusable for me.

I have a few KCG razors and the quality is fine. Of course, the $12 price was an extreme sale and the razor is normally a $30 razor.

I have been shaving with my KCG mostly for my full week of daily shaves. Still looks like brand new. I expect that it's longevity will exceed my own...

In that "teen'' price range, you can get quality that won't necessarily be present in the less than $10 price range.

The TTO Wilkinson Sword razor is well built and provides a quality shave. I bought at around $14, but that price included a tuck of German Wilkinson Sword blades.

They are only a few dollars more now. A good choice for someone getting onto DE shaving. The TTO design is a time saver.

I can understand building a sub $10 razor like the entry Wilkerson Sword that is made of Delrin. That makes sense for an $8 razor.

I would say that Lord 6 is one of the most underrated razors out there along with Turkish Yuma and plastic Wilkinson Sword.
Great shaver, similar feel like Merkur or EJ but more efficient, honestly I would say that shaves much better than these for 3x less money. I would call this razor a medium in terms of efficiency and aggressiveness, it's not ultra mild.
You will love it even more with blades like Gillette Platinums or Nacets.
Only downside for me is that threading on the top cap seems not that long lasting. But, frankly for a 5-6$ you can complain that much. I like the long handle and great knurling on it. It's a cheap razor but built quality is quite good considering the price.
I can't recommend this razor enough - especially if you are beginner and/or you don't want to spend too much money on equipment.

Last edited:
I would say that Lord 6 is one of the most underrated razors out there along with Turkish Yuma and plastic Wilkinson Sword.
Great shaver, similar feel like Merkur or EJ but more efficient, honestly I would say that shaves much better than these for 3x less money. I would call this razor a medium in terms of efficiency and aggressiveness, it's not ultra mild.
You will love it even more with blades like Gillette Platinums or Nacets.
Only downside for me is that threading on the top cap seems not that long lasting. But, frankly for a 5-6$ you can complain that much. I like the long handle and great knurling on it. It's a cheap razor but built quality is quite good considering the price.
I can't recommend this razor enough - especially if you are beginner and/or you don't want to spend too much money on equipment.
I used an L6 this morning. It's been about 1.5 years since I last used it. With a Suneko blade, it gave an excellent shave. I was amazed. No injuries or irritation. It's a well designed razor, not too mild, not overly aggressive, but with some real blade feel.

I used a shortened Razorock Halo titanium handle instead of the provided aluminum handle. With a nice handle, it shaved as well as some of my best razors. Very impressive!

Edited to add: I must report that it's a good idea to check alignment of the blade. I had to move the blade around a bit to get it even with the top cap.

Last edited:
Top Bottom