What's new

Why do people like solid brass razors?

Even I ain't touchin' this one friend!
Actually... it is said the use of silver, real silverware is helpful in reducing biologics; killing off bacterials, molds, and fungi. Can't expect the instantaneous use of dinnerware to do the job, but if the equipment was used more prevalently in the kitchen, it's possible there would be an impact on contaminant populations.

The problem is, I see it / experience it in my own household, because of the way our Mothers treated the silver dinnerware; we currently just don't use them consistently in food preparation.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Actually... it is said the use of silver, real silverware is helpful in reducing biologics; killing off bacterials, molds, and fungi. Can't expect the instantaneous use of dinnerware to do the job, but if the equipment was used more prevalently in the kitchen, it's possible there would be an impact on contaminant populations.

The problem is, I see it / experience it in my own household, because of the way our Mothers treated the silver dinnerware; we currently just don't use them consistently in food preparation.
Not sure how true this is, but I have heard that when folks were going across the country headed west in wagon trains they put silver dollars in the water barrels as an antibacterial agent.

If true, it just proves that we "modern" folks are not likely to survive the zombie apocalypse!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Just the beauty of it! This Timeless Bronze has been with me for two years. I just clean it with a tooth brush and dish soap when I put it away. Normally it gets used every other week.
View attachment 1378246
Bronze is really a nice rich color of gold and stays more goldish color most of its visual life. Bronze will not tarnish as easily as brass and most folks would think it is gold coated razor. Our metal racks at work we use to have Bronze and brass and it was usually easy to spot bronze just from its brightness. We use to use special carbide cutters when machining bronze and brass so the chips would not fragment so much(sharp positive rack carbide inserts).

Some metals have germ killing properties and this is well known. Visine used to put a silver rod in their preservative free drops to kill germs. Copper, brass, silver, and gold will kill off bacteria and viruses. This is why chalices in church are made of these materials. Studies have been done on chalices after everyone has communed and showed near zero bacteria or viruses. I used to have a copy of one such study. It can likely be googled. I know the properties of these metals can be googled.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Some metals have germ killing properties and this is well known. Visine used to put a silver rod in their preservative free drops to kill germs. Copper, brass, silver, and gold will kill off bacteria and viruses. This is why chalices in church are made of these materials. Studies have been done on chalices after everyone has communed and showed near zero bacteria or viruses. I used to have a copy of one such study. It can likely be googled. I know the properties of these metals can be googled.
I believe your research is accurate, I knew silver was used in water treatment to kill germs but other metals I have not researched those. With the price of precious metals going up we can expect costs for municipalities to also slightly increase for potable water. I was looking at the price of 1 OZ of Rhodium $18,000 dollars. Gold is around $1,930 OZ and silver around $25 OZ.
Gold is a barometer gage for issues that are presently occurring in the world at the moment is what I use to indicate problems and inflation.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
You know how I gauge inflation? When gas suddenly jumped up to 10-dollars per gallon out of the blue, you know were in trouble. Banks are trying desperately to get people to finance new house purchases, or refinance their current home. Ya sure, in this housing market? No thank you!

Then I was watching a guy on Youtube, I think you all know him, he was saying that he has a blade problem, and probably owns 1000 razor blades. But he talks about how the costs are starting to go up on razor blades, it was smart of him to collect, cause then he can stop buying them, as he's all set on blades now.

As I am a brand new DE shaver, I do not have any such luxury, so I bought my first 50-pack of blades. I am hoping they will last me awhile, but I have a distinct feeling I may end up buying another 50-pack next month, cause I am a bit scared about this inflation bit going on, and fearing it might get worse, it might be smart.

With the costs of steel going up due to lack of supply, this is why razor blade costs are going up. And the whole oil situation going on across the world, causing our gas shortages. Soon, if not already, there be another pandemic run on toilet paper next.

You know how I gauge inflation? When gas suddenly jumped up to 10-dollars per gallon out of the blue, you know were in trouble. Banks are trying desperately to get people to finance new house purchases, or refinance their current home. Ya sure, in this housing market? No thank you!

Then I was watching a guy on Youtube, I think you all know him, he was saying that he has a blade problem, and probably owns 1000 razor blades. But he talks about how the costs are starting to go up on razor blades, it was smart of him to collect, cause then he can stop buying them, as he's all set on blades now.

As I am a brand new DE shaver, I do not have any such luxury, so I bought my first 50-pack of blades. I am hoping they will last me awhile, but I have a distinct feeling I may end up buying another 50-pack next month, cause I am a bit scared about this inflation bit going on, and fearing it might get worse, it might be smart.

With the costs of steel going up due to lack of supply, this is why razor blade costs are going up. And the whole oil situation going on across the world, causing our gas shortages. Soon, if not already, there be another pandemic run on toilet paper next.
Is it possible that you mistakenly posted this in the wrong thread?

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
I wasn't a fan of brass razors til I saw this thread, now I find myself looking at brass razors thinking "That looks nice, I wouldn't mind one of those"
Thanks a bunch, I didn't need my RAD back.

Really? Stainless steel has lower conductivity and lower emissivity than brass, so it retains heat better.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have stainless, titanium and brass razors. I also use a Captains Choice copper shave bowl. I appreciate the patina that brass and copper develop. It's adds a touch of organic feel to a metal inorganic item.

7544968A-9D05-42A4-BC1C-1AFAC5C50F88.jpeg

C8417571-58C2-4D9C-A92A-410A78960DC9.jpeg

Plating tends to wear off under my touch, I think it’s my skin chemistry. Solid brass doesn’t have this problem, and I like the shine of a good polished brass razor. (I’m not a fan of patina.)

I had a Tech and the gold was completely gone, except under the cap and etc. I didn't like the patinated brass look. I sent it off and got it re-plated. It looks like a billion bucks, now.
Gold Tech 2.JPG

I'm enjoying my brass Overlander. It's already starting to get a little darker than when I got it a few weeks ago. I like the patina look as I think it adds character. I don't notice any off-putting odor. It's my only bare brass razor so not sure what to expect but I like how it looks.

I believe your research is accurate, I knew silver was used in water treatment to kill germs but other metals I have not researched those. With the price of precious metals going up we can expect costs for municipalities to also slightly increase for potable water. I was looking at the price of 1 OZ of Rhodium $18,000 dollars. Gold is around $1,930 OZ and silver around $25 OZ.
Gold is a barometer gage for issues that are presently occurring in the world at the moment is what I use to indicate problems and inflation.
Ron, I know this is an older thread

Question for you.

Is patina a BAD thing?

How long does it take for brass to patina? Years? Decades?

I only use vintage razors that happen to be brass with nickel plating. I like the look.

Is the nickel use just to make the razor look good or does it somehow protect the brass? a little of both?

Thank you a usual.

Top Bottom