What's new

Why do people like solid brass razors?

That's my only brass currently. I like the TiBam handles and the Karve CB razor head provides a nice shave. I'm waiting for the OC C plate for it. The only other thing I can provide is...you can buy a solution to prematurely age your brass and give it that antiqued look. It works fairly well and if you should somehow mess it up...you can always clean it off. Again, I think it looks nice, but to each his own.
I was fishing for more photos :)

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I’ve also never understood the necessity for women to have a set of silverware. It gets pulled out once or twice a year and every knife, fork and spoon has to be cleaned with silver polish to remove the black oxidization.
Even I ain't touchin' this one friend!

FarmerTan

I have a number of brass razors and handles but I was a bit concerned before because of lead added to alloys to allow easier machining. The alloys used are at least in Germany not allow for water pipes as lead gets into the water over time. Maybe I'm somehow paranoid but I try to avoid brass with lead in it. However I don't have any concerns with vintage razors as I believe that all lead that could leave the razors has already gone... Just my 2 cents.
Stay away from Flint, Michigan. I was born there. Had some skoolin' there. Werked there for a bit.

See how I turned out?!?

I'm calling Lee, free.

I like the weight, but I don’t like the color of brass before or after it’s developed a patina so I try to avoid it.

I like the weight, but I don’t like the color of brass before or after it’s developed a patina so I try to avoid it.
I like the yellow and red brass contrast in my (down to the brass) Gillette NEW SC:
NEW-SC_2017-08-14.jpg

... but it doesn't get much use because I dislike the smell of brass. :crying:

That's my only brass currently. I like the TiBam handles and the Karve CB razor head provides a nice shave. I'm waiting for the OC C plate for it. The only other thing I can provide is...you can buy a solution to prematurely age your brass and give it that antiqued look. It works fairly well and if you should somehow mess it up...you can always clean it off. Again, I think it looks nice, but to each his own.
I think it looks great and I did the same with mine right after receiving. The Karve is my only unplated brass razor and I love the uniqueness of it.

20211101_170806.jpg

20211101_170428.jpg

I have a number of brass razors and handles but I was a bit concerned before because of lead added to alloys to allow easier machining. The alloys used are at least in Germany not allow for water pipes as lead gets into the water over time. Maybe I'm somehow paranoid but I try to avoid brass with lead in it. However I don't have any concerns with vintage razors as I believe that all lead that could leave the razors has already gone... Just my 2 cents.
You are correct, and even "lead-free" brass can contain up to 2% lead. The older brass razors were certainly not made from lead free brass, yet they are considered safe to use, why?

The acid used to etch the razors before plating dissolve any lead on the surface of the razor, and if it's not on the surface, the lead can't hurt you.

Now you know. Acid can be used to render any brass food safe, something brewers have known for decades.

FarmerTan

You are correct, and even "lead-free" brass can contain up to 2% lead. The older brass razors were certainly not made from lead free brass, yet they are considered safe to use, why?

The acid used to etch the razors before plating dissolve any lead on the surface of the razor, and if it's not on the surface, the lead can't hurt you.

Now you know. Acid can be used to render any brass food safe, something brewers have known for decades.
Thank you friend for a wonderful explanation.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
If brass weighed the same as titanium it would be completely awesome.
I would have to agree. Titanium is about perfect, though I love my Al Henson. Titanium is the right density. Too bad it's so hard to machine, driving up the cost.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I don't think that I would ever want a brass razor, both because I don't like the age patina look, nor would I like dealing with the smell. Our family had this old brass vase or whatever it was, I remember it smelling bad, I never knew why it did, until I read this thread lol.

I will say this though, I really love the look of your guys's brand new looking unaged brass razors, they are beautiful! Keep them in good condition, maybe you can keep them from aging. At the very least, they make a great collectors showpiece.

Could you imagine walking into a guys office, and on his fancy mahogany desk, he has a bunch of brass razors among other brass products on his desk, and also a box of fancy cuban cigars, which is also contained within a mahogany box, with gold strips on it.

It would probably make you feel small after you walked up to his desk, thinking that maybe today is the day your about to be fired. But instead he surprises you, offers you a cigar for your hard work, but you just can't take your eyes off his brass safety razors, a combination of single edge, and double edge.

Your eyes follow the contours, admiring the textures on the handles. Then you begin thinking to yourself, "maybe I should get my own brass razors." 😂

Top Bottom