What's new

Why do people like solid brass razors?

Brass mellows nicely and can be polished back to a high shine very easily. I love a mild patina on brass. My first Wolfman is uncoated brass.
Wolfman Wednesday Dec 23rd 2020.JPG

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I bought a Fatip Piccolo because it was brass i think it'll look nicer when the nickel plating starts to wear off and gives that antique look when there's no plating left i can high polish it like the beautiful ones above. Dare say it will take me a while but it will keep me out of trouble with the wife.

My guess it the "old school" appeal. Stainless steel is a relatively modern material in comparison to brass, so the brass gives off an old timey, Old World aura, that is kind of hypnotic, I think. If you find something made of brass, chances are it was manufactured before stainless steel became available. It has a certain antique charm to it, I think.

I don’t know, but all my stainless gear weighs a ton. Perhaps they’re machined thicker than my vintage brass based razors, or just happen to have thicker handles and such. Even my brass Parkers with Zamak heads seem to outweigh my vintage razors.

Parker does make a number of "heavyweight" razors. I have large hands and have arthritic fingers, so I like heavy razors and long handles. I let the weight of the razor do the cutting. I only apply enough pressure to control the path of the razor.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
For some, brass is any alloy that is mainly composed of copper. For others, brass is basically a copper/zinc alloy. Then there is bronze (or gun metal) which is basically a copper/tin alloy.

Copper/zinc compared to copper/tin is softer, cheaper and easier to machine.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
For some, brass is any alloy that is mainly composed of copper. For others, brass is basically a copper/zinc alloy and bronze (or gun metal) is basically a copper/tin alloy.

Copper/zinc compared to copper/tin is softer, cheaper and easier to machine.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I kinda like the patina of brass as it ages, though I am getting to the point of attacking my razor (Hone Type 15 in raw brass) with some Brasso.

Also, one of the characteristics of brass that I like is that it quickly warms and transfers heat well--a real treat on chilly winter mornings.

Stuff sure is heavy, though. And it does tend to drag along skin unless it is fully wetted. (Another reason for polishing it.)

Back when I was trying to decide on brass vs other materials, James sent me pics of a few parts. L-R used, stored, unused. My engraved Wolfman will develop the rich patina on the left within a few months but it polishes up easily. I use a Flitz cloth when I polish but I like the patina so have mostly left it alone. It never gets dark like very old aged brass. The used brass develops a rich patina while the stored one does not. I suspect it is the effect of water during the rinse and free air circulation.
Wolfman Brass l-r used stored new bottom.jpg
Wolfman Brass l-r used stored new top.jpg

I use Nu-Finish to protect my raw brass Karve, Micromatic and Gillette New razors. I never have to do a serious polish, just an occasional wipe.

And brass does not stink anymore than cilantro inherently tastes bad. In both cases it's chemical reaction that not everyone experiences. My brass don't stink and my cilantro tastes just fine.

Attachments

• PXL_20211215_163344987.PORTRAIT_2.jpg
    PXL_20211215_163344987.PORTRAIT_2.jpg
    994.5 KB · Views: 42
I like the weight and the break from chrome colored monotony of my other very fine razors. Brass does have a old era look and feel, especially with patina (and I like it whether it is polished or aged). Just damn beautiful. I do not notice the smell unless I intentionally endeavor to smell the razor and, when I do, the smell does not bother me in the least. I kind of like the minerally scent though, again, I don't often take to sniffing my razor.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Back in my Navy days we used Never Dull. It is a soft cloth like material impregnated with some kind of polishing compound. It came in a metal coffee can in a big roll and you would tear off a piece of the material with your hand. When you used it the material would turn black.
This has brought back fond and not so fun memories of polishing various items. I still get my fill with copper pans, but the copper plate on my razor is, thankfully, sealed.

In spite of my feelings about cleaning and polishing, I have to admit that the Timeless is a beautiful razor and very tempting every time I see a picture of one.

Top Bottom