What's new

Why do people like solid brass razors?

Brass would be almost the ideal metal for a razor if lt weren't so heavy. If brass weighed the same as titanium it would be completely awesome. Easy to manufacture, beautiful, wonderful heat transfer, and one can decide whether one likes a patina or prefers a polished look. Personally, I like the patina.

Alas, it is not a perfect world, and brass is really quite heavy. Sigh.

I don't mind the weight of brass, similar enough to stainless. I like the patina that brass gets.

20220102_194158.jpg

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Back in my Navy days we used Never Dull. It is a soft cloth like material impregnated with some kind of polishing compound. It came in a metal coffee can in a big roll and you would tear off a piece of the material with your hand. When you used it the material would turn black.
I remember NevrDull from when I was a kid in the '50s. Today, it still comes in the same white and blue can. Still works pretty damn well, too. I use it all the time.

I remember NevrDull from when I was a kid in the '50s. Today, it still comes in the same white and blue can. Still works pretty damn well, too. I use it all the time.
Same. I use it often. It is great for removing spots and rust marks off stainless steel kitchen knives as well

I have a number of brass razors and handles but I was a bit concerned before because of lead added to alloys to allow easier machining. The alloys used are at least in Germany not allow for water pipes as lead gets into the water over time. Maybe I'm somehow paranoid but I try to avoid brass with lead in it. However I don't have any concerns with vintage razors as I believe that all lead that could leave the razors has already gone... Just my 2 cents.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Well he showed us, didn't he? He wouldn't dare post more 😏

That's my only brass currently. I like the TiBam handles and the Karve CB razor head provides a nice shave. I'm waiting for the OC C plate for it. The only other thing I can provide is...you can buy a solution to prematurely age your brass and give it that antiqued look. It works fairly well and if you should somehow mess it up...you can always clean it off. Again, I think it looks nice, but to each his own.

Top Bottom