What's new

Why did everyone get into wet shaving?

I was persuaded to try it from a friend and the fact that I got a V D H luxury set for Christmas. I got a much better shave from my merkur 23c than I ever had from schick MBMS (hydro 5).

Started shaving with an electric and the military shifted me to cartridge and cans for a long time. My Dad, who would say electrics were the greatest thing invented and would think me nuts for regressing to blades got me back into electric for a long time but one day while hacking away with a noisy and expensive electric I just decided they have no soul... And I admittedly enjoy the old way of doing a number of things. I like the luxury some nice creams provide and the peacefulness of a blade and a sink of water and thankfully, I have been pretty successful with razor and blade combinations and the results they provide...

In the 1970's there were DE razors, Trac II and Injectors. Started with a Super Adjustable and Foamy. Dad's instructions were "don't cut yourself." I didn't do too bad. Tried the Trac II, they were far from perfected at the time and would usually clog solid before you were done shaving, no matter how hard you beat it against the sink, sometimes I would clean them out with a pin, ruined the edges and was like a rake the next shave. Disposables came out just before I went to basic training. There was no way to pass a locker inspection with a DE unless you spent all night detailing it, so we all had disposables by the second inspection. Over the next forty years many razors came and went. DEs, Mach 3s, Trac IIs, even an injector. A couple electrics came and went too. Once in a while a little Old Spice or Williams to break the monotony of the canned goo.

A couple years ago I saw Rick Harrison doing a commercial and thought "they still make them things?" Knowing better than to order infomercial items, to Amazon I went, ordered a Parker 99R, a couple soaps and never looked back. So much more product than was ever available in the drug stores of my earlier years. Wow. And when the Micro Touch One dropped to $9.95 on the TV aisle at Walgreens I had to get one just because that aisle always hooks me. Now I have 23 DEs, 3 SEs and 5 straights. Can't count the soaps/creams and after shaves.

I started shaving in the early 1970s with a Gillette Techmatic and Foamy or Barbisol. Then for my birthday around 1977 my parents gave me a shaving mug and brush set. During my Army and Air Force time I used cartridges and cans, but returned to the mug and took up a DE for the first time around 2008.

Started shaving with an electric and the military shifted me to cartridge and cans for a long time. My Dad, who would say electrics were the greatest thing invented and would think me nuts for regressing to blades got me back into electric for a long time but one day while hacking away with a noisy and expensive electric I just decided they have no soul... And I admittedly enjoy the old way of doing a number of things. I like the luxury some nice creams provide and the peacefulness of a blade and a sink of water and thankfully, I have been pretty successful with razor and blade combinations and the results they provide...

My dad is the same way. He loves electrics and he thinks I'm crazy for using a safety razor. I love the simplicity of it.

Always had bumps and irration and I never got a really good shave and the cost. When my save-a-blade cartridge sharpener broke rather than spend another 20 bucks on a new one I got my grand dad's razor, pack of personnas, murvy brush,and VDH soap and a shavette. Never looked back.

curiosity
promises of more economical shaving (haven't been realized)
Promises of closer more comfortable shaves (partially/marginally realized)

I'll keep doing it, but if I had to go back to carts and cans, it wouldn't bother me very much at all. it would probably seem cheaper than I used to think it was.

curiosity
promises of more economical shaving (haven't been realized)
Promises of closer more comfortable shaves (partially/marginally realized)

I'll keep doing it, but if I had to go back to carts and cans, it wouldn't bother me very much at all. it would probably seem cheaper than I used to think it was.
+1
Same reasons. Same thoughts.

I learned to shave with a DE decades ago then used electrics and carts until last year. I liked the idea of spending less money on shaving (LOL) but mainly it was a hope of getting better shaves. I really like a BBS, and I never really got that with anything other than a DE. I think I have pretty good technique since I almost never cut myself or get razor burn, and get a BBS almost every day. Wife likes the smooth face and so do I.

I'm not a shaving enthusiast, but I figured if it's something I have to do (for job interviews and work purposes), I might as well get the most out of it. I'd rather have facial hair than be clean shaven, and because I don't have to shave for my part-time job, I only trim around the mustache with my Panasonic Trimmer. I, like most, discovered that disposables made shaving into a chore, and while I've never used cartridge razors, they seemed way overpriced for what you were getting. I like DE safety razors because you're actually using a sharp blade, as opposed to the cartridges which seem nearly dull right out of the package (my brother has used cartridge razors, so I have an idea of the quality). I'm not someone who feels the need to adhere to tradition for tradition's sake, but sometimes the old way of doing things truly were the best. I don't want companies like Gillette to get my money.

Cost.

My dad was all about the electric but burned my neck. Tired of spending $30 on 4 cartridges, I was searching these dollar blade shops and stumbled on DE shaving. A ton of research later I discovered Italian Barber, bought a few products with Joseph's recommendations and learned you can really enjoy shaving and it doesn't have to be a chore!!

Still saving money too... have three razors now (two classic Gillette's were gifted to my by a friend) the only thing I really spend any money is on the amazing Razorock soaps. (Btw Mudder Focker is amazing if you have not tried it!)

don

I've always been a wet shaver. I've only recently, since January 2015, been using a DE razor. I switched from using the Gillette fusion because I got tired of the high cost of cartridges.

I try to convince myself and SWMBO it was to save money! However, if I were to be honest and look really deep within myself, some of it may have to be a desire to go back to a different time when things weren't as disturbing as they are today. Maybe nostalgia issues. Who knows.
in any case, it sure isn't saving money and I have a great new bunch of forum friends that make it all worth it!!!

Finally got fed up with the price of Fusion cartridges and started exploring options. Found a cheap Micro Touch One set at CVS, watched some You Tube videos, found this site and that's all she wrote. Probably not saving money overall (haven't gotten any AD's too bad, yet), but definitely enjoying the experience much more and getting a far superior shave.

Except for a stint with an electric, I always used a brush and soap with carts. Was tired of having mediocre shaves and liked what I read about DE's so I picked one up. That brought me here and now I'm into straights (shavettes). I briefly used the saving money line but it's really about having comfortable shaves and enjoying shaving rather than viewing it as a necessary evil.

Initially, wet shaving just sounded interesting.
Then, it was the idea of saving so much money on blades that I could afford to pamper myself with awesome artisan shaving creams and soaps.
Then, it was the challenge of learning a new skill and sharing my journey on my YouTube channel.

I seriously started using a DE to save money. Well that didn't work. Now I have to look for other ways to save money so I can finance my ADs.

Top Bottom